Should I add an iTube2?

Should I add an iTube2?
« on: 26 Sep 2017, 05:18 pm »
I hope I'm posting this to the right place.

I'm a semi-retired orchestra teacher with a simple but enjoyable solid-state system in a fairly small room.

I'm generally satisfied with my listening experience with most 50s jazz and classical or baroque chamber music, but not so much when I put on Mahler and Tchaikovsky where I wish my speakers were farther apart and farther from the wall for a more expansive soundstage.

Would adding an iTube2 to the following system give me a bigger soundstage for larger orchestra recordings in a believable way, or is the 3D stuff a gimmick? And would I lose any of the life-like clarity my simple system already provides? (Playing a well-recorded CD engineered by Peter McGrath or Tony Faulkner of a small classical ensemble is totally satisfying as is, and I don't want to lose anything in a more complex electric chain.)

Also, is adding this unit a legit way to introduce some real "tube sound" to my system?

NAD 516BEE CD player used as a transport
Emotiva CD-1 used as a DAC and preamplifier
Electron Kinetics Eagle 2 amplifier with two 100,000 pF capacitors in the upgraded power supply
Vandersteen 2C loudspeakers on lead-filled steel stands, refurbished at the factory about 15 years ago

Thanks for your insights.

genjamon

Re: Should I add an iTube2?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2017, 05:50 pm »
I found the iTube2 provided extra dimensionality to the soundstage as well as some valued instrumental body - and that's with my having a DHT tube output stage in my DAC and running an 845 tube amp.  The passive volume control in my DAC was definitely a constraining factor, I believe, and the sound opened up nicely with the iTube2.  I have since invested in a much more expensive tube preamp than the iTube2, but the iTube2 proved to me that this was needed to make the most of the other components in the chain. 

I'd vote for giving it a try for sure, since you're using a DAC with built-in VC. 

And FWIW, I didn't use the 3D settings on the iTube2.  I either applied no additional settings, or used the SET setting if anything.  No bass or 3D settings.  But the beauty of the unit is the ability to try them all and find the right synergy.

Also, I tended to use the iTube2 in buffer mode (bypassing its volume control), and used the remote controlled VC on my DAC instead.  This was more transparent, while also providing all the benefits of the iTube2.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2017, 06:51 pm »
It's a lot to go through -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148425.0

but for your use, I definitely would say yes. (I had it in-house for the tour.) The only thing that I didn't care for about it was that I much prefer the sudden impact of percussive bass which the iTube2 softened it up and made it a bit more boomy. I did love the way it improved the soundstage and removed a bit of the very high volume harshness that's part of my system.

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:33 am »
I say it is cheap enough to try but don't expect a radical change for large scale classical.  I had the 2CE sigs for a while so I can say with confidence you would benefit most from a speaker change to enjoy Mahler or the Pathetique.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2017, 02:05 am »
I say it is cheap enough to try but don't expect a radical change for large scale classical.  I had the 2CE sigs for a while so I can say with confidence you would benefit most from a speaker change to enjoy Mahler or the Pathetique.
rotarius, what effect did/does the iTube2 have on your system? Did the 3-D thing work as advertised or was it more of a gimmick? And what about the tube settings? What did/do you think about them?

rotarius

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2017, 02:56 am »
Hello, I can only speak about the older itube not itube2.  Keep in mind that the spatial effect has a lot to do with your room acoustics, it sounded a bit unnatural for me, as a tube preamp with gain, it was fine for the money but only one input.  The 5670 tube is not my favorite to add some tube magic, not very tubey ironically.   So, the good tube preamps I have used, all flesh out the mids and the soundstage depth will increase compared to the SS preamps.  Vocals get projected forward and it is all very pleasing.  The eq function here does not quite manage the same thing.  This is all IMO.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2017, 10:29 am »
I participated in the iTube 2 tour and these were my sonic impressions (in my system):

The buffer 0 dB/9 dB modes made no discernible difference (evidently my system simply doesn’t need impedance matching improvement).

The preamp 0 dB/9 dB modes did seem to add dynamics and reveal a bit of extra detail.  But with most early digital pop recordings upper midrange became sharper, thinner, even brittle.   

3D+ added noticeable but not earth shattering soundstage width in my near-field setup (more discernible by my friend more than me), so did not bother to try the “+” setting.

We heard almost no difference with the iTube 2 SET/classic/push-pull settings.  My friend has younger ears and heard more difference, preferring the push-pull setting.  The tube palpability I seek for my current solid state system was simply not there in any significant manner.  I'm not after syrup but primarily more solid 3D imaging.  This was my main interest in the iTube 2.

Clearly heard the Xbass, but did not like it.  With it off, it seemed to reduce deep bass.  Not needed on the M18-F200’s (full range floor standers).  On the BM5 Mk III’s (active monitors) the +6 dB setting provided a low rumble and mudded bass compared to keeping it turned off.  At 90 dB it caused warbling, so no point in trying the +12 dB setting. IMO adding bass boost is typically a bad idea (can overload power amp and you just can’t push a proper designed speaker beyond its inherent limits). 

Note I listen mostly to small ensembles (mostly jazz and classical).

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm »
I forgot to ask you earlier what amplifier you were using with your Vandersteens when you weren't satisfied with them on orchestral music.

rotarius

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2017, 01:06 am »
I used several like Belles 150, Bryston 4bst, B&K.  All SS at the time.  The problem with those speakers is the mid-range driver that got very congested and harsh with classical.  Massed strings were not to my liking. My KEF R700 are a huge step up in that regard.

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2017, 01:29 pm »
I used several like Belles 150, Bryston 4bst, B&K.  All SS at the time.  The problem with those speakers is the mid-range driver that got very congested and harsh with classical.  Massed strings were not to my liking. My KEF R700 are a huge step up in that regard.
I'm not the only one who likes the 2C better than the 2CE sig. Congested and harsh or two words I would never use to describe my system on any properly recorded music. Orchestral strings on my rig are either really good on a well engineered recording (I'm an orchestra teacher so I know what real orchestral strings sound like) or really bad on a poorly engineered recording. I hear harshness and congestion when playing a multi-miked, heavily processed CD from Deutsche Grammophon or Columbia, but when I put on something engineered by someone like Peter McGrath or Tony Faulkner, something with minimal miking and no counterproductive processing, I get a very believable sound. I'm interested in the iTube2 because I would like to have a bigger sound in a small room, not a louder or less distorted sound.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2017, 12:59 am »
.......I'm a semi-retired orchestra teacher with a simple but enjoyable solid-state system in a fairly small room.

I'm generally satisfied with my listening experience with most 50s jazz and classical or baroque chamber music, but not so much when I put on Mahler and Tchaikovsky where I wish my speakers were farther apart and farther from the wall for a more expansive soundstage.

Would adding an iTube2 to the following system give me a bigger soundstage for larger orchestra recordings in a believable way, or is the 3D stuff a gimmick? .......

My experience with the 3D function was that it did create a larger soundstage, but it wasn't focused and real.  If your speakers need to be farther apart and/or farther from the front wall, the 3D probably isn't going to give a realistic soundstage of an orchestra, but music will be less "stuck to the speakers" if that makes sense.

How much tube magic you get is dependent on your system and preferences. You can place it between amp and preamp, or cd player and preamp. I only used mine between amp/preamp because I was trying to utilize the lower output impedance of the buffer.  You are adding an extra set of interconnects also, unless you like it as a preamp too.  It's a fun piece of equipment to experiment with, and isn't going to break the bank.

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:16 am »
Itube 2 worked great in my system. But since systems are different, buy one from Music Direct. I believe they have a 60 day return policy. That will tell you if it works in your system or not.