Pre/pro or receiver with pre-outs - recommendations?

mcgsxr

I have paused my speaker building, and am focused on an issue with my Pioneer VSX-1018AH.  I am using it as a 2 channel preamp, and as a pre/pro and amp for center and surround speakers for HT.

I have only 1 HDMI input for HT - streaming box.  I don't really care about video switching, or the latest codecs.  I simply stream stuff and currently use Dolby Pro Logic II for most of my watching for a 5.1 experience.

I do know that most would not want to combine 2 channel and HT.
I do have an extra multi channel amp I could use to drive the C, LR and RR speakers if I go pre/pro.
Budget is ~$500 USD.  I anticipate buying used.

So - is there a stand out unit in the ballpark?

Older Anthem pre/pro? 
Older Anthem receiver?
Older Integra pre/pro?
Older Classe unit?
Another Pioneer Elite receiver and use the pre outs as I do today?

I am seeing attractively priced Anthem 20's, Integra 9.8's and other older pre/pro's around CanuckAudioMart but have no experience with a true pre/pro.  I did recently sell off a NuForce AVP-16 that I could have used for both - DOH  :duh:
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2017, 07:50 pm by mcgsxr »

WGH

Re: Pre/pro or receiver with pre-outs - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2017, 05:32 pm »
I am very happy with my Outlaw 975. If you are into movies then a Blu-ray disk with the soundtrack coded in DTS-HD Master Audio will blow your current Dolby Pro Logic II sound out of the water, out of your city, out of your state and into the ether with the clarity and dynamics of your best demo CD.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

If you buy used you are only buying someone else's wonky microprocessor, which is why they are selling it in the first place (no matter what they say). 

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2017, 05:58 pm »
I would avoid the Integra due to known hdmi issues.
Classe have a good reputation for the musicality of their pre/pros and Anthem would also fall into the same category.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2017, 06:15 pm »
Good advice so far, thanks.

I used to use Blu-ray but I don't buy movies anymore.  So the latest codecs don't really matter for me and what I use my system for.  Closed minded I guess, but the truth for me.

Good point about the known HDMI issues with Onkyo.  But I will bypass the receiver/pre anyway with my single HDMI connection and go direct from streaming box to TV with HDMI - the sound will get to the receiver/pre via digital coax.

Fair point about buying used - but if I confine myself to new product in Canada at my price point it almost certainly means a receiver again.  Which may be the best idea in the end.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2017, 07:11 pm »
I view receivers as disposable due to the way surround sound changes and I generally buy refurbs.  I have two systems, including the main one that have 2-channel preamps with HT Bypass and refurb receivers (and basically except for one older receiver in one system, everything else I have are refurbs).  If you don't need the lastest surround formats, then buying something of good sound quality like Anthem is a good choice - e.g. - http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649376540-anthem-avm-20/

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2017, 08:41 pm »
- the sound will get to the receiver/pre via digital coax.

I don't own a single Blu-ray movie, we have Redbox's all over the place, too bad Redbox pulled out of Canada.

Since you are using digital coax for sound then any old receiver will work. Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio.

If you end up getting a receiver that decodes more formats than Dolby Pro Logic II (anything built after 2000) then you will get better sound (Dolby Digital) for the cost of another HDMI cable, run the HDMI from the streaming box into the receiver and then another HDMI cable to the TV.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2017, 11:01 pm »
I keep learning!

My current Pioneer AVR has DD.  I was using Pro Logic II in error!  I am currently using HDMI from streaming box to AVR, and then on to TV as you describe.  But I don't recall ever seeing a streaming moving using newer audio formats.  I may simply not have noticed mind you, as the AVR is in the media closet so I don't see the settings it is on unless I go back there.

That AVM20 on CanuckAudioMart looks the part.  I'd love to avoid shipping, but there are none local to Toronto at this time.  Plus I have not setup an AVR without some form of automatic mic/measure type program in years!

Appreciate the ideas guys.

Odal3

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2017, 11:45 pm »
At least in the US, there are many places that have been selling out floor model receivers over the last couple of weeks. I was in your position too and used an old Pioneer Elite without HDMI for years using either optical or digital coax. Many of the latest and greatest formats never interested me enough to upgrade but I missed getting surround from some of the online streaming services such as dolby digital plus and I sometimes got lipsync issues when I linked the sound via the TV and then coax to receiver.

Just 2-3 weeks ago, I bought a Yamaha Aventage A1060 floor model at Bestbuy for just over $400 - perfect condition with full warranty (open box can be negotiated down if you talk to the right sales person) Only using it for 4 channels plus 2 subs, but so far I'm happy.

So guess what I'm trying to say, look for used floor models too.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:31 am »
I have paused my speaker building, and am focused on an issue with my Pioneer VSX-1018AH.  I am using it as a 2 channel preamp, and as a pre/pro and amp for center and surround speakers for HT.

I have only 1 HDMI input for HT - streaming box.  I don't really care about video switching, or the latest codecs.  I simply stream stuff and currently use Dolby Pro Logic II for most of my watching for a 5.1 experience.

The issue with the Pioneer is that 2x in the past 4 weeks the volume has mysteriously maxed out.  I have had to unplug and reboot the receiver to return it to normal operation.

I assume that this is the initial stages of catastrophic failure, and I would like to stave that off.

I do know that most would not want to combine 2 channel and HT.
I do have an extra multi channel amp I could use to drive the C, LR and RR speakers if I go pre/pro.
Budget is ~$500 USD.  I anticipate buying used.

So - is there a stand out unit in the ballpark?

Older Anthem pre/pro? 
Older Anthem receiver?
Older Integra pre/pro?
Older Classe unit?
Another Pioneer Elite receiver and use the pre outs as I do today?

I am seeing attractively priced Anthem 20's, Integra 9.8's and other older pre/pro's around CanuckAudioMart but have no experience with a true pre/pro.  I did recently sell off a NuForce AVP-16 that I could have used for both - DOH  :duh:

For around $500 I would get one of these Integra flagship processors which are marked down from around $3000 to around $500. Notice they are 20% off the already discounted listed price. You can see the final price in the shopping cart:

https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=audioamps&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=ef89f14262620faa14702c27cac4ba8dfa32ec86&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

Review
http://hometheaterreview.com/integra-dhc-802-92-channel-av-preamp-reviewed/

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:34 am »
Accessories4less.com does not ship outside the US (otherwise I would have mentioned it)

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2017, 12:58 am »
If you can't ship from accessories4less try Amazon Canada or Ebay.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2017, 01:05 am »
There are places like this too - https://www.skadi.ca/collections/a-v-receivers

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2017, 01:09 am »
All of my recommendations are just slightly higher than your $500 cap in USD.

An Oppo player now has an input for a streaming device.
Emotiva has a pre-pro at $550
A refurbished or used Marantz 5 series receiver will have a full set of pre outs. A half height Marantz will have pre outs for sub and L/R.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2017, 02:30 am »

But I don't recall ever seeing a streaming moving using newer audio formats.

I'm not an expert on streaming so I have no idea what audio formats are packaged with movies, if you have a 40Mbps connection can you get Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio stream? Someone else will have to chime in.

I do know that once in a while a friend stops by and we use her Netflix account to stream a movie and the picture looks lousy compared to a DVD or Blu-ray and it's only Dolby Digital. I only have a 12Mbps DSL line so that might be the problem because different speeds use different compression algorithms. Streaming is OK but overall quality is halfway between a Hi-Fi VCR and DVD. I also have over-the-air digital TV with an antenna, picture quality is always excellent but sound is always 5.1 Dolby Digital. Not all TV tuners are created equal, Panasonic Viera TV tuners are one of the best. The HDMI cable from TV to AVR can be set up to be bi-directional so you only need one.

Odal3

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2017, 02:52 am »
Per Netflix recommendations:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

(even if your "sold plan" states one number as download speed it could in reality be much less)

I never tried the Ultra HD, but at least the HD quality on Netflix looks excellent on my screen via either a chromecast or firestick. As far as audio formats, it's my understanding that many streaming services using the lossy Dolby Digital Plus format, but there have been some recent announcements they are starting to support some "upgraded" formats

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2017, 02:55 am »
I am very happy with my Outlaw 975. If you are into movies then a Blu-ray disk with the soundtrack coded in DTS-HD Master Audio will blow your current Dolby Pro Logic II sound out of the water, out of your city, out of your state and into the ether with the clarity and dynamics of your best demo CD.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

If you buy used you are only buying someone else's wonky microprocessor, which is why they are selling it in the first place (no matter what they say).

+1 for the Outlaw 975  8)
Solid company with great customer service  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2017, 02:00 pm »
I ended up finding a deal on a used Marantz receiver (5007) in Canada for a good price (USD $275 shipped).

Has the TrueHD, DD Plus codecs and all the pre outs I was looking for as well the ability to pass 3D and 4K (I don't use that stuff today, but the future could bring a change) and it will be my first foray into Audyssey MultiEQ room correction.  I wonder how it will compare to the outgoing Pioneer's MCACC system.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2017, 03:09 pm by mcgsxr »

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2017, 03:11 pm »
2 months later I finally got the Marantz hooked up!

I will run the Audyssey setup later today.

It was a snap to setup so far, and yet another great Logitech experience as it was very easy to reprogram my Hub to learn what to do now.

Scott F.

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2017, 03:53 pm »
You'll like the Marantz. I run an older AV7701 (pre-pro) and it's pretty bullet proof. I had an Integra 9.8 but as Tim (Electricbear) mentioned, it had HDMI issues. The Marantz has it's 'house sound' but it's a good match to forward sounding speakers/amp combos. I'm doing Rotel and the Aperion Audio speakers for our HT. It sounds really good for HT duty. It's just so-so on music.

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2017, 08:03 pm »
Audyssey setup and running.  Tested with Iron Man opening scene afterwards.

The setup pushed most speakers to -3-5db.  It pushed the sub way down to -12db.   I agreed with the Xover used for each speaker.  I was confused that it reported one of my surrounds out of phase.  I double checked.  I will assume that it was "confused" because they are bipolar surrounds. 

I simply increased the sub gain afterwards.

Up and running and good for movies.

LOVE the on screen GUI.  It is nice to have an idea of what the volume setting is.  With all the gear 20 feet behind me in the media closet, there was no way to tell with the Pioneer other than getting up and going to see.