Getting my Lorelei's off the ground

Brettio

Getting my Lorelei's off the ground
« on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:15 am »
I currently have my Lorelei's sitting with their bases on the bare floor.  I think there's got to be a better connection to the floor.  For you Lorelei owners, what do have under your speakers? 

Brett

stereo5

• Current System
Re: Getting my Lorelei's off the ground
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:45 am »
I used cones with floor protectors as mine were on a black granite plinth.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:52 am »
The prior owner of mine put these on - they work well.

www.loudspeakerstands.com/Straight_End_1.50_Spikes.html

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2017, 01:09 am »
I currently have my Lorelei's sitting with their bases on the bare floor.  I think there's got to be a better connection to the floor.  For you Lorelei owners, what do have under your speakers? 

Brett

What kind of floor? Suspended wood? Then isolate with sorbothane or the like to stop floor vibration. Solid concrete? Spike to the floor to increase mass of speakers.

Brettio

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2017, 02:20 am »
Thank you all for your help.

I have a suspended hardwood floor (with carpet in the middle of the room). The speakers sit with the their base on the wood floor.  Not ideal.   Again thank you for the input, it's very helpful! I'm going to look into sorbothane.

Aaron.luebke, I've seen how yours came...that was a nice addition!  Are you still liking your speakers?

Brett

aaron.luebke

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2017, 09:24 pm »
no...I'm not liking them at all.   :cry:

LOVING THEM!!!   :o :guitar: :drums: :rock: :banana piano: :beer:

Kind of a silly question...  :thumb:

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:14 am »
That's awesome Aaron!  Thank you for the chuckle! I feel the same way. 

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:41 am »
Have never understood guys placing speakers on bare wooden floors. Must make for a glassy, bright, thin sound. Outriggers do the same sort of thing with some speakers. I used outriggers but found I preferred the sound on sorbothane pucks with the carpet below. Reduced harshness quite a bit. I'd think something similar would be better than spikes or outriggers on wood floors.

Brettio

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:22 am »
Randy,  I've finally got more time to some serious listening and I'm really enjoying what I hear but I know better sound is coming my way once I resolve the floor/speaker connection. This weekend I'm going to do some searching and make some decision on resolving this issue. Those sorobothane pucks look like the way to go.

Thanks for the picture.  Do you have a preferred brand if there is such a thing?

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2017, 02:35 am »
This what I used for my Kismets:

Randy

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2017, 03:17 am »
Randy,  I've finally got more time to some serious listening and I'm really enjoying what I hear but I know better sound is coming my way once I resolve the floor/speaker connection. This weekend I'm going to do some searching and make some decision on resolving this issue. Those sorobothane pucks look like the way to go.

Thanks for the picture.  Do you have a preferred brand if there is such a thing?

No particular brand that I know of. I've had this set of eight for at least 25 years and don't remember the brand or even where I got them. They have been under various CD players, preamps, integrated amps, other speakers in the bedroom, but they've found permanent home under those speakers in my main system. It was a miracle I could find all eight when I wanted them for the speakers, actually. I'm not 100 % sure they are sorbothane, but they are something similar.

Brettio

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:07 am »
Stereo5, your set up is really nice!  I used spikes with discs before on a previous set of speakers but I think I like connection (isolation?) that the sorbothane would offer.

Brett

martinr

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2017, 02:53 pm »
I used Sistrum platforms on my Loreleis...now use them on my VR-4's.  They work very well and tighten up the bass on both speakers.

http://www.audiopoints.com/Sistrum.php

Brettio

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2017, 06:53 pm »
Because I know so little about the subject, as an experiment I decided to buy a very cheap set of rubber pads from a big box store to put between the speaker bases and the wood floor. 

I cued in some songs I'm very familiar with and holy %~*+  did the bass become ugly, overwhelming, and bloated sounding.  I am still shocked by how obvious the difference was! That was probably the best $5.00 experiment I've ever conducted. 

Brett

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm »
Almost all speakers have to be decoupled...what that means is that you're using a device between the speakers and the ground,  where the inherent vibrations and resonances of the cabinets flow to the ground, through the devices, and to the ground,  then spread, and as a result should be unable to reach back into the cabinets...think of a one-way exit of resonances and vibrations.....if you have the speakers on the ground itself,  then you're providing the resonances too much of an area to jump back into the cabinets...if you're using certain materials,  such as rubbers in your experiment,  same thing happens with a "bouncy" effect....obviously the surface itself makes a huge difference...speakers sitting on sub-floors, tiles, and wooden floors NEED TO BE SPIKED  !!!!   cement floors will give you more leadway for experimentation..

So,  the shape and materials and surface areas are the key here....rule of thumb is s small tip and of course,  metal for stability....speaker platforms are fine,  as are many other applications...for Pete's sake,  even Lego blocks work nicely....  just plain old cones will work wonder and are what I prefer...for a fantastic bang for the buck,  check out the Dayton Audio cones from Parts Express....use some double-sided carpet tape and glue them under the cabinets...use 3 pcs...1 smack in the middle of the front,  2 in the back.....

In general,  there are 3 areas of huge improvements :

1.  Bass tightness...likely that you're losing a Hz or two,  but will be much, much more natural with less overhang
2.  Sound staging...the above adds to the 3 D presentation
3. Micro dynamics...a more natural bass lets in more information in other areas....

Obviously,  different speakers, different results,  but I'd venture to say that this would help in over 95 % of all set-ups...

Brettio

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2017, 12:20 am »
Klaus,  thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge.  I love the sounds coming from the Lorelei's already and can't wait to give them an environment where they can truly show their stuff. 

Thank you again, Brett