Router for Comcast

Don_S

Router for Comcast
« on: 16 Aug 2017, 07:50 pm »
My new home has been dubbed "Little House on the Prairie"  because I am the 9th buyer in a new development surrounded by fallow fields.  The only internet service provider is Comcast--real wilderness.  :lol:

I am debating whether to rent ($10/month) their modem or purchase this one:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-wireless-ac-1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-with-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/5791602.p?skuId=5791602

Ouch at the modem/router price. Deal is $60/month for internet and phone for two years with my modem.  +$10 with theirs. I am still addicted to my landline so I need one with voice. With their modem/router they will assume responsibility for any problems. After two years the total price goes up $20. Or at least that is what they are telling me now. After two years there may be competition.

Suggestions or experience welcome. 

avta

Re: Router for Comcast
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2017, 08:52 pm »
I've used Comcast for many years. I would suggest you have separate modern and router. I've used Motorola products and have found them reliable. Motorola modems are now sold under the Arris name. There are many routers available. I'm a Mac guy so I've used their products. Others may chime in re this topic in general.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2017, 08:55 pm »
I would suggest you have separate modern and router. I've used Motorola products and have found them reliable.

I don't think you'll find an available brand new approved telephony modem by itself, just the all-in-one wireless telephony gateway.

Steve

avta

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:04 pm »
I forgot to mention that I use Ooma for internet phone calling. (  https://www.ooma.com/shop/ )

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:18 pm »
Thanks guys.  Telephone is only $10/ month more so I can't beat that deal.  The only downside is the additional modem cost.  But as I said, I am addicted.  Plus all my family and friends have my landline number as well as millions of spammers. 

So far this morning I have had 4 spam calls. Maybe I should consider ditching my land line and going for a new number.  :lol:

avta

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:26 pm »
Don you might be interested in Ooma. After purchasing the unit for about $100 the monthly costs are only federal taxes. I'd been paying $4 a month plus I have the Premier Service which gives you many more options for screening spam etc. I pay by the year and its about $110. You can get a new number based on your location or  " port " you old number over if you like for a one time fee. I have no connection with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:28 pm »
This is what I use for TWC and its been flawless.  If it will work for you I'd highly recommend it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2017, 10:47 pm by jtwrace »

avta

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:31 pm »
Same one I use

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:50 pm »
To me, its an advantage to have separate router and modem.
I'd hate to not have a choice in the router.  I have an Asus router and like it a lot.

I have a Motorola SB6121 modem, which I installed last year.  It replaced a 10 year old Motorola modem.
My modem was like $30 on ebay.  An older model, but its as fast my Comcast plan, and that's all that matters.

I've gone through many routers now, but there is little reason to change the modem part of it.  Buy it once, and forget about it.

You don't need to buy a faster modem unless you're paying for faster speeds with Comcast.

For VOIP, I've been using Google voice with an Obihai.  I had been using skype but my skype modem died after many years so I switched over. 

Randy

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2017, 02:42 am »
I have a current model Motorola Surfboard, the best modem you can get, in the box, never used I would sell for $45.00 let me know if you are interested...

cody69

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2017, 10:58 am »
I used Comcast for many years for internet and cable viewing, always using my own modem and separate router.
Within the past year or so, I went with their triple play, which required replacing my modem to one with telephony capability.
To save time to research, and to make the conversion as painless as possible, I went with their router/modem combo.
It has worked absolutely fine -- no issues since it was installed and wifi coverage is great.

I said, I am addicted.  Plus all my family and friends have my landline number as well as millions of spammers. 

So far this morning I have had 4 spam calls. Maybe I should consider ditching my land line and going for a new number.

This may not be a big issue once you convert. With Comcast you can sign up with a nomorobo, a service that does an exceptionally nice job of addressing spam callers. The phone rings once, then the service takes the call and presumably drops it... no more hassle.

andy_c

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2017, 08:10 pm »
This is what I use for TWC and its been flawless.  If it will work for you I'd highly recommend it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use that one too, and never had a single problem.  When I was shopping for one, I noticed the user ratings for the combined Arris modem/routers were much lower than for the standalone modem.  Apparently the combo units run hot because they pack so much more circuitry in a small enclosure, so they tend to be less reliable.