Silver and Gold

Archguy

Silver and Gold
« on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:30 am »
And champagne.  I have a theory that mfrs are leaving tons of money on the table right now by not offering light-colored component faces.  It was the 1980s! when black took over.  I'm tired of black components and I bet a lot of other people are too.  But when I bought a Yamaha amp recently the upcharge for silver was nearly 100%.  And you can always pay big bucks to import silver (or 'champagne') colored components from Japan.  I know there are exceptions, but they are few and far between (and usually fairly obscure and/or high-end mfrs). 

I bet if you were a mass-market mfr and brought some silver or gold-face components to market you'd make a killing.  Whoever does it first, I'm buying their stock. 

These get me so hot and bothered But they're 100 volt and I can't afford them anyway.
Why not fake the look?  It really wouldn't be hard.

Archguy

Re: Silver and Gold
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2017, 03:55 am »
Here's what I see everywhere.  Can't even read the controls.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2017, 06:29 am »
That's a convenient photo to try and illustrate your point.  However, this is what that component actually looks like:

Admittedly, some manufacturers unwisely use poor contrast grey lettering on black components, but many use white lettering which is actually quite legible.

Archguy

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2017, 07:00 am »
That's a convenient photo to try and illustrate your point.  However, this is what that component actually looks like:

That's what it 'actually looks like' in a professional photo studio, with klieg lights, infill lights, what have you.
On the shelf of the average homeowner, with typically subdued lighting, it's a lot harder to read.

Anyway, if you like black components, rejoice!  You have endless options.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2017, 10:13 am »
All matching champagne gear would be nice, but on my beer budget I'll settle for good sound.

earwig

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2017, 10:39 am »
I too like the goldie champagne look face plate like on the Conrad Johnson and some old Dynacos

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2017, 11:21 am »
 As long as I can read the stuff to hook it up, I'd rather see nothing in the way of equipment and just have the sounds. An excellent remote is all I need to see. When I get a few things ironed out and my albums and turntable sold, I'm planning to acquire a pair of KEF LS 50W speakers without even hearing them. I love the idea of no components cluttering up my life. To me the minituration of everything is a big plus and the energy savings are very important as we seem to have passed the point where we can pretend it doesn't matter. Thanks to digital.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2017, 01:40 pm »
In my youth I always disliked anything not black in a component.  I have since grown to accept and sometimes like some other colors.

There are small manufacturers that completely customize cases, should that be your thing.

I use a media closet and a universal remote = so all my gear could be pink/grey/purple or whatever and I would not care anymore!

fredgarvin

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2017, 03:51 am »
And champagne.  I have a theory that mfrs are leaving tons of money on the table right now by not offering light-colored component faces.  It was the 1980s! when black took over.  I'm tired of black components and I bet a lot of other people are too.  But when I bought a Yamaha amp recently the upcharge for silver was nearly 100%.  And you can always pay big bucks to import silver (or 'champagne') colored components from Japan.  I know there are exceptions, but they are few and far between (and usually fairly obscure and/or high-end mfrs). 

I bet if you were a mass-market mfr and brought some silver or gold-face components to market you'd make a killing.  Whoever does it first, I'm buying their stock. 

These get me so hot and bothered But they're 100 volt and I can't afford them anyway.
Why not fake the look?  It really wouldn't be hard.

You are so right about this. I remember my Kenwood amp fondly, two tone, amber indicator lights. So much nicer than the silver schmear that everyone went to.