Floyd vs. Conor

rotarius

Re: Floyd vs. Conor
« Reply #20 on: 26 Aug 2017, 03:04 am »
This a bit like North Korea thinking it has a chance against big bad USA, just need to get one missile through  :lol:
I have a feeling it will be another snooze fest, I hope not for the sake of people getting PPV. 

ss397

« Reply #21 on: 26 Aug 2017, 03:08 am »
Floyd can win every round and barely be touched if he chooses. The fight will just be as competitive as he lets it. Conner has only a 3% or less chance of landing a knockout blow, which is the only way he can win. These guys are simply punking the world for a huge payday. I would not pay a dollar to see it.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 26 Aug 2017, 03:17 am »
I'd pay a dollar... I just wouldn't pay the $99 they're asking  :lol:

mav52

« Reply #23 on: 26 Aug 2017, 11:34 am »
I think this fight is nothing more than a hell marry by the Boxing world to save boxing and Conner will get a share for helping. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 26 Aug 2017, 11:54 am »
'Hail Mary', perhaps?

If anything, this fight will hurt boxing more than it helps- especially if, as reported in this article, Mayweather has been hanging out in a strip club he owns until the wee hours every night for the last couple weeks.

There are some potentially really good fights on the horizon. Boxing doesn't need this.

Brettio

« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm »
Boxing doesn't need this.

Interesting points brought up. Personally I think the boxing industry needs this more than the UFC. If Floyd loses this bout, they immediately book a rematch, Floyd 'takes it more seriously' and trains properly and wins the second bout. Then comes the final fight of their trilogy....proving nothing, but selling more tickets.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:27 pm »
Don King strip mined the boxing landscape long ago. Since then all efforts have involved picking through the rubble he left for an occasional usable nugget. Why waste your time?
All of these "epic" fights are more hype than substance. Why bother with them? They are all about packaging, staging, publicizing and selling. American professional sports are nothing but show biz with trite sentimental trappings and absurd pricing. Don't do anything to encourage them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2017, 01:45 pm »
Interesting points brought up. Personally I think the boxing industry needs this more than the UFC. If Floyd loses this bout, they immediately book a rematch, Floyd 'takes it more seriously' and trains properly and wins the second bout. Then comes the final fight of their trilogy....proving nothing, but selling more tickets.

What I meant was that boxing doesn't need another 'black eye' such as:

• A boring, one-sided defensive snoozefest;
  • A quick blowout of a 40yo fighter who hasn't fought in 2 years;
  • A freak show like Ali vs 'The Pelican' (who else remembers THAT one?)
  • A DQ or controversy that ends the fight, leaving everybody who paid $99 pissed off

Unfortunately, those are the most likely outcomes IMHO. An exciting, suspenseful, competitive distance fight is the least likely result. If Floyd has in fact been training, #1 is the most likely result. If he has been training in his 'Girl Collection' strip club, #2.

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2017, 02:07 pm »
Don King strip mined the boxing landscape long ago. Since then all efforts have involved picking through the rubble he left for an occasional usable nugget. Why waste your time?
All of these "epic" fights are more hype than substance. Why bother with them? They are all about packaging, staging, publicizing and selling. American professional sports are nothing but show biz with trite sentimental trappings and absurd pricing. Don't do anything to encourage them.

Totally agree. DK did quite well for himself but ruined the sport in the process (and the public's interest as a result.)

Fair Hedon

« Reply #29 on: 26 Aug 2017, 04:00 pm »
Floyd is of course one of the most highly skilled boxers in history.

But his career is a fraud. He has made hundreds of millions dancing around
and fighting 30 seconds of every round. Thank god I have never paid a dime
for his fights.

The fact is he should have at least 5 losses. He held and and held and held and has
never once been penalized for holding. He talks a big game but is a BORE.

If the rules had been applied he would have been knocked out multiple times by now.

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2017, 03:34 am »
Floyd is often cited (especially by himself) as 'the greatest defensive fighter ever'. I would say Pernell Whitaker was better defensively.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2017, 07:43 am »
Floyd is now 50-0...Congrats...and around 300 million dollars richer, imagine the audio gear one could buy with that money. LOL

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #32 on: 27 Aug 2017, 12:13 pm »
Floyd is now 50-0...Congrats...and around 300 million dollars richer, imagine the audio gear one could buy with that money. LOL

Yeah, maybe he can finally afford that VPI Avenger Reference Turntable he lusts after ... oh, wait that's me.

I wonder if it's too late to start training for the senior division?

mav52

« Reply #33 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:21 pm »
Boxing is what it is, offense and defense and using what brain and smarts you have left. Floyd is a master like Sam Langford, Sugar Ray, Henry Armstrong, Harry Greb and Ali.  Floyd got the job done.   

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:28 pm »
DAMN!!!! I just found out that Floyd made a BILLION DOLLARS.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 27 Aug 2017, 07:41 pm »
Had a great time at friends who got the fight and we all brought something.  Naturally, I bring sweets. 

This is a Chocolate Mocha Tres Leches from my favorite Mexican Bakery. 

Nick77

« Reply #36 on: 27 Aug 2017, 08:00 pm »
I know he was just talking trash, but i'm kinda glad Conor lost.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #37 on: 27 Aug 2017, 08:11 pm »
I would think that the odds are pretty high that Canelo/GGG will have some substance.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #38 on: 27 Aug 2017, 08:49 pm »
I know he was just talking trash, but i'm kinda glad Conor lost.
Au contraire.  Conor got exactly what he was hoping for... a huge payday. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #39 on: 28 Aug 2017, 12:31 am »
DAMN!!!! I just found out that Floyd made a BILLION DOLLARS.

Maybe. Over his entire career (not from this fight) and before Uncle Sam.

Jeff_From_Michigan, I agree, that fight has the potential to be great. This was a good (not great) fight mainly because of the backstory. An under skilled crossover fighter versus an over-the-hill great. That might have been an undercard fight if the two fighters weren't who they are. GGG v Canelo could actually be a great fight, and now it can get the attention it rightly deserves.