Ceilings

VonHess

Re: Ceilings
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm »
OK, scratch the concerns about ceiling isolation.

But also recommend turning the whole room setup 90 degrees (dipole speakers needs lots of space behind them to properly function) and give up the use of that window.  But if you keep it this way, lose the coffee table (which unnaturally reflects sound) and move the couch away from the back wall (where bass booms/muddies).  Then measure the room (define the problem before trying to solve it). 

Can you provide a link to the diffusers you have in mind?  Again most diffusers only function down to around 1,000 Hz and need significant distance from the listening position to be effective.  And most absorption materials are useless or only effective for midrange/treble frequencies.

These are the diffusers I am thinking of.  I could make the basic shape with some hardboard (masonite) and some string.  I would put them at the points of first reflection.    So you think turning the whole set up lets say to the left would be an improvement?  The way it is now, the front speakers are about 4-5 feet away from the back wall.  I'm guessing an asymetrical set up wouldnt be good?  With a corner as the center of the 'front'.  I guess currently the problems are mirror images of one another so solving one might solve the other.  With an asymm set up I would have 2 different problems.  Perhaps as you mentioned, I could turn the setup 90 degrees to the left, but put the TV in the upper left corner.  So for 2.1 channel listening I would still have the suggested triangle and I could use the AVR's room correction for to compensate for the TV not  being in the center .  I have to move most of the stuff out of the room to finish the ceiling fairly soon so when I'm moving stuff I can experiment with this.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2017, 02:52 pm »
Can't imagine how a single pair could diffuse.  This style of diffuser would require a bunch of them at a great distance away.  Note that diffusers must be very rigid and non-absorptive to function.

Yes, the speakers should be at least 3 - 5 feet from the front wall (behind them), as should the listening position. 

A non-symmetrical layout could work, but not in your room with your speakers (much too small with dipole speakers, TV, and a couch).  The sound and picture must coincide to avoid a sensory disconnect.

You have my suggestions, first measure to better define the problem (beyond sounding "echo-y"), before wasting money/effort fixing an unknown problem.

VonHess

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2017, 03:05 pm »
Can't imagine how a single pair could diffuse.  This style of diffuser would require a bunch of them at a great distance away.  Note that diffusers must be very rigid and non-absorptive to function.

Yes, the speakers should be at least 3 - 5 feet from the front wall (behind them), as should the listening position. 

A non-symmetrical layout could work, but not in your room with your speakers (much too small with dipole speakers, TV, and a couch).  The sound and picture must coincide to avoid a sensory disconnect.

You have my suggestions, first measure to better define the problem (beyond sounding "echo-y"), before wasting money/effort fixing an unknown problem.

True, true.  I was just assuming that something at the 1st reflection points would be better than nothing.  And if it's something I can make fairly easily to try out, can't hurt.  I'm sure it will be an ongoing thing anyway. I'LL admit I am trying to wing it and I'm not looking forward to measuring with REW etc.  But I'll probably end up doing that because that's what it will take to get it right.

VonHess

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2017, 04:48 pm »
Trying to forget my...ceilings of love!!!

And of course, I'm doing this .....All.......by........ my ........seeeeeeelf.  Ah 70's wimp rock. :thumb: