15" woofers crossed to BG Neo8, any recommendations?

JohnR

Re: 15" woofers crossed to BG Neo8, any recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: 13 Nov 2017, 09:13 am »
I will probably run the woofers in series but still add binding posts to each woofer and then do the series connection via the binding posts. Then I will have the option to change the woofers to 8 ohm drivers in the future, if I wish to do so.

I'm not entirely sure I follow that. I would use temporary wiring rather than bring out every woofer terminal for later wiring. It's OB, it's not like you have to dismantle a box to change wiring :)

On the amp thing, first determine which equipment the noise is from. This does actually expose a potential flaw with active speakers, which is that out-of-band noise is not attenuated (as it is with a passive crossover). If you have a driver with e.g. a large resonant peak at 3-4 kHz, system noise could be magnified by 10-20 dB in the most sensitive hearing range.

Fjendbo

« Reply #61 on: 13 Nov 2017, 09:29 am »
I'm not entirely sure I follow that. I would use temporary wiring rather than bring out every woofer terminal for later wiring. It's OB, it's not like you have to dismantle a box to change wiring :)

On the amp thing, first determine which equipment the noise is from. This does actually expose a potential flaw with active speakers, which is that out-of-band noise is not attenuated (as it is with a passive crossover). If you have a driver with e.g. a large resonant peak at 3-4 kHz, system noise could be magnified by 10-20 dB in the most sensitive hearing range.

Well, I plan to run the wiring between the middle and back MDF board and via the leg supporting the MDF boards. Then attach binding post on the leg.
Quick sketch:

I will be able to change wiring but not easily.

The noise is from the amp on all outputs. It's there when nothing is attached but power and a speaker driver. The noise seems identical on both woofer and tweeter with the driver frequency limits taken into account.

matevana

« Reply #62 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:43 pm »
The pic you posted looks a little like an infiltration of low voltage DC. If so, this could be a regulator / internal amp repair.

Fjendbo

« Reply #63 on: 13 Nov 2017, 07:55 pm »
The pic you posted looks a little like an infiltration of low voltage DC. If so, this could be a regulator / internal amp repair.

I am beginning to realize that it will need a repair. I'm just fearing the cost of it to be honest, as I paid about $610 USD (3900 DKK) for it (used) and wouldn't like to see that figure double.

However, I have asked about repair and price estimate.

If I was just able to do it myself :)