FOOD, FUN, AND SERIOUS MEDICAL MISSION PLANNING

Baumli

FOOD, FUN, AND SERIOUS MEDICAL MISSION PLANNING
« on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:07 am »
Dear folks,

We did it last year, with great success, and this year it is happening again. At Dave Sheckleton's place, on June 4, we are having the fund-raiser for the medical brigade that goes to The Honduras under the auspices of Washington Overseas Mission. What this consists of is a sort of picnic (everyone brings a covered dish or similar food contribution), we get to hear some of Dave's vintage gear, and eat ourselves into a stupor. (There also is the option of drinking yourself into a stupor, unless like me, you are already so enlightened that hard drinking only nudges you further in the direction of Nirvana, i.e., the heavenly portals.)

Most fun for GAS people is the silent auction, which allows people to bid against each other for choice audio items. Brand new Kimber Kable and Cardas wire is already donated, along with audio recordings. More such items are expected to come in. And by the way, if you have audio equipment you want to get rid of, this is a golden opportunity for bypassing the Audiogon gauntlet. We can give you a voucher for a handsome tax write-off for any gear that is donated. (If you want to understand how this works, contact Francis Baumli through a PM on this site, or just phone him at: 314-966-2167.) And note, in this auction, people are bidding against one another. The bid starts at a minimum, and then since you're at war with other people, you bid the price up, wreaking vengeance upon your enemies and testing the loyalty of your friends.

The event happens Sunday, June 4, from 2 until 5 or 6. Stopping time is negotiable, but beginning time stays at 2 so we can get set up.

The brigade this year will serve two impoverished villages. And frankly, the brigade this year is very big. There will be dentists, optometrists, even a chiropractor, plus the usual medical staff. My wife, Abbe, is sort of in charge. She comes back exhausted, fulfilled, and just a tad ripe. (Out there in the bush they don't have much in the way of ablutional amenities.)

A big thank you to Dave, Colleen, and Liam for being so generous about hosting this event again. You might start dropping us notes, letting us know if you are coming, and how many people you plan to bring.

Thank you in advance!

Francis Baumli

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2017, 04:38 am by Baumli »

daves

Re: CHASTE DEBAUCHERY AGAIN1
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2017, 10:07 pm »
With double the doctors, nurses, and Medical professionals making the trip to Honduras, serving double the number of patients, it is quite important for us to bring twice as many people to the event. This will help us have twice as much fun and raise three times as much money.

Or have three times the fun and raise twice as much money. Or raise money, eat food, and bid on Kimber PBJ cables.

But I am serious about making sure you bring at least one more friend...we need to help out the folks who are doing the really, really hard work as best we can.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2017, 01:41 pm by daves »

Baumli

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2017, 04:50 am »
Dear GAS folk,

Already people are getting involved. Several are donating audio items for the auction, and I suppose I would encourage you to do so yourselves. Keep in mind that such donated items can be used as a tax write-off. I will provide the letter, and make suggestions regarding the amount, if you want.

I must tell you, being married to a physician who wants to do medical mission work. Why didn't I just marry one of those traditional women. You know, the kind who are a genius in the kitchen and ... well, I forget the rest of the equation.

Take note of the date! June 4th from 2-5 (or 6). There's going to be a whiskey tasting opportunity, so you might want to bring a designated driver. Also a wheelbarrow to get you up the hill to the street.

Looking forward to getting pickled.

Francis Baumli

daves

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:36 pm »
John and Mike have kindly donated gear for the auction. If you want to reduce the flock, this is a good way to go!

Save the date.. Sunday, June 4th from 2 to 5 pm...

daves

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2017, 09:56 pm »
Bump

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2017, 10:31 pm »
"Pinned" to the top.

Baumli

Re: FOOD, FUN, AND SERIOUS MEDICAL MISSION PLANNING
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2017, 06:32 pm »
Dear Master Bob,

Thank you for "pinning" notice of the Honduran trip at the top of the GAS "board." I'm glad you consider it important like we do. It's amazing how some food, birth control, and clean water have transformed that village. (And on this trip there will be two villages served.) They still live below poverty level, but at least the suffering is not unremittingly acute.

The work involved for getting that 10-day mission going is almost overwhelming. Many thousand pounds of supplies are being gathered, packed, shipped. I'm beginning to feel like I translate Latin in my spare time.

Thanks again!

Francis Baumli

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2017, 07:30 pm »
You're very welcome Sir. You're a good man for doing this.

daves

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2017, 08:11 pm »
The auction bidding is open, and don't forget you can also help by donating to the Washington Overseas Mission, in support of Abbe S. Honduras Mission, here...
http://overseasmission.org/donate/

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2017, 04:22 am »
I sent an email to everyone on my GAS email list about this.
As always, if you didn't get it, and want to, send me your email (I send something like once a year, so don't worry about blowing up your inbox).

popthinker

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2017, 04:28 pm »
Thanks for helping to expand awareness of this worthy cause, Bob.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2017, 10:22 pm »
You're very welcome, but I'd hesitate to say I had much of a hand in it. Just passing along the information.
Francis and Dave are doing all the work (from my perspective).
Thank you though  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2017, 03:27 am »
Removing this from the "sticky" area.