Audio Blasphemy Confessions

RoadTripper

Audio Blasphemy Confessions
« on: 21 Mar 2017, 05:06 pm »
My name is RoadTripper and I may be losing it. I don't sit in the sweet spot. In either listening room. The main room I sit way off to the side (outside of the "footprint" of the right speaker) and almost twice as close to the right as to the left. In the other room, which is 30' by 10' with an 8 foot ceiling, I lay down on a couch with the speakers on one end of the 30 feet and me on the other. The speakers are about 5 feet apart. At those dimensions, there really is no sweet spot.

Why am I doing this? It's because it works. I am not obsessing about soundstage, 3D imaging, space around instruments etc. etc. I just listen to the music and relax. Another thing is I am not sitting but laying. Not really sure how much that matters.

Do I lose my audiophile card?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Audio Blasphemy Confessions
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2017, 05:32 pm »
Man, you are in some serious doo doo now.  :icon_twisted:

Actually, I seldom sit in the sweet spot lately. Our home is such that the music can be heard pretty well from everywhere except the master bedroom. Our living room really needs some acoustic treatment. Without it, sound waves bounce off the wall directly behind my head with enough delay to ruin the sound.

If my wife stays overnight with an out of town friend, I'll rearrange the system for optimal enjoyment (which encourages sweet spot listening).

C'mon, everyone. Fess up.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2017, 05:49 pm »
When the room is large you can sit around and appreciate the new acoustic position but seems it not your case, or you are over 50yo lately, which its my case.

RoadTripper

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2017, 05:55 pm »
One room is a sun-room add-on which is long and narrow and thus, there's not much of an option. The living room is big enough for any arrangement, but moving the recliner into the sweet spot is not currently in the cards. So I, being way over 50, lay out wherever the recliner is. There is an added benefit, though, and which is the point of the post. Not being close to the sweet spot immediately frees me up from analyzing the sound. I just listen.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2017, 06:39 pm »
When I lived in a tiny studio, I would lay on the floor right in front of the speakers. Compared to the tiny room, my speakers were huge. Infinity RSIIa. (and I regretted not buying Infinity RS-1. but they never would have fit at all, with separate bass towers!)

Now I am seated in the sweet spot. But my recliner is in the middle of the room. And yes I have no fear to just lay back and enjoy.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2017, 06:53 pm »
If you're enjoying the music, what the hell. You're a listener, not a prisoner. NEVER feel guilty about listening to music.

One of the things I loved about my Allisons was they were 'forward omni', and the soundstage and frequency balance didn't fall apart if you moved around the room. I even was able to open a closet door in front of the left speaker without the image completely disappearing.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2017, 06:55 pm »
What you need is one of those upright recliners that you strap yourself into.

I think I saw it in a movie once.

he may have been wearing a facemask...

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2017, 06:59 pm »

No, you can keep it. But get your money's worth by making sure you thoroughly enjoy the bubblegum it came with. ;)

soundbitten1

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2017, 08:28 pm »
Sometimes I listen to music without throwing a blanket over the television that sits between my speakers.   :o

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2017, 08:33 pm »
What you need is one of those upright recliners that you strap yourself into.
I think I saw it in a movie once.
he may have been wearing a facemask...

I think it's referred to as a "straight jacket"...

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2017, 08:36 pm »
I am not obsessing about soundstage, 3D imaging, space around instruments etc. etc. I just listen to the music and relax.
I read this a lot on these forums. "I sold all my good stuff, and now I can relax and enjoy this crappy stuff I got."
Makes no sense to me. Wouldn't everyone prefer to relax and enjoy a really good system while sitting in the sweet spot?
Who obsesses over their freakin' stereo??

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2017, 10:26 pm »

Yes, your audiophile card has been immediately revoked! Someone's gotta break the news to you, but you're not an audiophile -- you're a musicophile. There's a huge difference. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2017, 10:27 pm »
I read this a lot on these forums. "I sold all my good stuff, and now I can relax and enjoy this crappy stuff I got."
Makes no sense to me. Wouldn't everyone prefer to relax and enjoy a really good system while sitting in the sweet spot?
Who obsesses over their freakin' stereo??

Nobody around these parts...  :roll:

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2017, 10:28 pm »
Yes, your audiophile card has been immediately revoked! Someone's gotta break the news to you, but you're not an audiophile -- you're a musicophile. There's a huge difference.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2017, 10:41 pm »
I think it's referred to as a "straight jacket"...

The last upgrade you'll ever need...  :green:

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 21 Mar 2017, 10:44 pm »

This quote is great! It's the reason audiocircle exists. Anyone who posts frequently on this forum and thinks otherwise is delusional. 

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2017, 11:14 pm »
I love you roadtripper!!!! :thumb:
My name is Todd, I listen to music on $20 Avio HP from RadioShack.
My last pair were $1,000 IEM's
I am very happy with the sound !!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:16 am »
In my country they call this kind of person Melômano(from melody), I envy all the musicphile they are all the most happy persons in this world.
They can listem music in a battery radio or a cell phone and fell perfect happy with the poor sound.
On the other side audiophiles suffers all the time w/the bad sound from his expensive system.

Mag

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:18 am »

I concur, he lacks the fanaticism of an audiophile. I feel sad for people who invest money on good speakers then place it in a corner. They maybe whipped or whatever but not audiophiles. :shake:

I listen like 50 hours a week mostly in the sweet spot. The other time is spent cooking or laying down in the other room cause I need to stretch.

The goal of audio is transparent simulation of a real music event. With stereo to reproduce a believable phantom image to fool the brain into believing your hearing the real thing.

So if your goal is not to achieve realism within your budget means. You are not an audiophile. :smoke:

GentleBender

« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:49 am »
As long as YOU are happy. You can sit, lay, stand on your head if that is what you want. Keep listening and enjoy. Nobody gave me a card to give back or chipped in on a purchase.  :P