Streaming recommendations on the cheap

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Streaming recommendations on the cheap
« on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:01 pm »
I'm helping my friend set up her first two-channel system, and gave her a set of Audioengine A2+ for Christmas.  She has a MacBook Pro running iTunes, but mostly streams Spotify to a sound bar (insert favorite crime against humanity here). 

My solution for her with the least expense while maximizing both fidelity and convenience is to recommend Tidal premium and get an Audioengine B1 Bluetooth streamer to go into the speakers.   

Alternatively, I could give her my set of old polks and buy a few components from Schiit.  We'd like to keep the whole thing under $500, but the speakers whether passive or active are already paid for.

Any other suggestions?

Thx in advance

lacro

Re: Streaming recommendations on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:00 pm »
I'm helping my friend set up her first two-channel system, and gave her a set of Audioengine A2+ for Christmas.  She has a MacBook Pro running iTunes, but mostly streams Spotify to a sound bar (insert favorite crime against humanity here). 

My solution for her with the least expense while maximizing both fidelity and convenience is to recommend Tidal premium and get an Audioengine B1 Bluetooth streamer to go into the speakers.   

Alternatively, I could give her my set of old polks and buy a few components from Schiit.  We'd like to keep the whole thing under $500, but the speakers whether passive or active are already paid for.

Any other suggestions?

Thx in advance

The Audioengine A2+ has analog input; Chromecast Audio would work, and it's cheap. It's wifi, not bluetooth. If you go the passive speakers/amp/DAC route, Chromecast Audio also offers Toslink digital out, with much improved SQ, but your DAC will have to have optical input. IMO Tidal Premium is too expensive. 

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:30 pm »
Tidal has a listing of all the products it supports at their website. They support Android based products which could open up a number of options. There are several computer programs that support Tidal streaming also. Check out Jriver media center.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2017, 06:23 pm »
IMO Tidal Premium is too expensive.

Out of curiosity, what is it too expensive compared to?

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2017, 07:18 pm »
Look at the NAD 3020D for 400 bucks. Includes a 30 watt amp, DAC, Bluetooth and remote.

D 3020 Hybrid Digital™ Amplifier
2 x 30W @ ≤0.005% THD, >100W Dynamic Power @ 4 Ohms
aptX Bluetooth Music Streaming
Supports bit rate/sample rate up to - 24/192 (via Digital Audio input) up to 24/96 (via Computer/Type B USB input)
Optical and Coaxial Digital Inputs, analog inputs
Subwoofer Output
Bass EQ setting
Separate Headphone Amplifier
Wireless Remote

lacro

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2017, 07:43 pm »
Out of curiosity, what is it too expensive compared to?

Compared to Tidal's standard stream. I wonder if the OP's described system will benefit from the higher quality/price stream?

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2017, 07:45 pm »
Compared to Tidal's standard stream. I wonder if the OP's described system will benefit from the higher quality/price stream?

It would certainly be an interesting comparison to make, and neither complex nor costly either!

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2017, 09:28 pm »
I use Spotify Premium + Chromecast Audio. I couldn't be happier with them. I'd challenge anyone listening to a sub-$2000 system to try to tell a difference between spotify premium and lossless source material
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2017, 10:42 pm by pinkfloyd4ever »

jpm

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2017, 10:04 pm »
I use Spotify Premium + Chromecast Audio. I couldn't be happier with them. I'd challenge anyone listening to a system that cost less than $5,000 dollars to try to tell a difference in sound quality between spotify premium and lossless source material

One of the great things about streaming audio services is how inexpensive it is to decide for yourself.

John Darko offered his take on chromecast audio last year:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/not-as-the-artist-intended-google-chromecast-audio-w-tidal/

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2017, 11:28 pm »
Keeping it simple.

Either a pair of Airplay powered speakers

or

an Airplay enabled receiver with your favorite speakers

or

an Airport Express which can then be connected to any receiver with an analog input or a pair of powered speakers with an analog input.

Well worth the extra pennies to save your friend a lot of grief.
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2017, 01:10 am by Doublej »

kbuzz3

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2017, 04:34 pm »
I use Spotify Premium + Chromecast Audio. I couldn't be happier with them. I'd challenge anyone listening to a sub-$2000 system to try to tell a difference between spotify premium and lossless source material

Respectfully disagree.   

OzarkTom

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2017, 08:32 pm »
Review of NAD D 3020 by Sam Tellig.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-d-3020-integrated-amplifier-sam-tellig#KPr58vzPTb86Sk3X.97

if your looking to save some $'s, you can pick up a refurbished NAD D3020 from Spearit Sound for $349.95.  It comes with a one-year warranty from NAD.

NB

asliarun

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2017, 09:33 pm »
This is an old thread but I thought I would chime in for the benefit of other readers with similar requirements.

If you are looking for a streaming audio solution, definitely consider a Chromecast Audio. At $35, you probably can't do better. It streams over your wifi, uses the Chromecast app which will support almost all your audio sources. It also supports high res audio, has optical and analog out (has a fairly decent inbuilt DAC). Another nice thing is that it will stream directly from the source, bypassing your phone, so your phone only acts as the control device and does not become a bottleneck or another component in the audio chain.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2017, 11:46 pm »
This is an old thread but I thought I would chime in for the benefit of other readers with similar requirements.

If you are looking for a streaming audio solution, definitely consider a Chromecast Audio. At $35, you probably can't do better. It streams over your wifi, uses the Chromecast app which will support almost all your audio sources. It also supports high res audio, has optical and analog out (has a fairly decent inbuilt DAC). Another nice thing is that it will stream directly from the source, bypassing your phone, so your phone only acts as the control device and does not become a bottleneck or another component in the audio chain.

Can you shed any light as to how this works when the stream is not being served up by a Chromecast Audio compliant app such as TuneIn radio?

A while s ago I tried streaming a radio station "embedded" in a website. To do so I had to cast from the Chrome browser on the phone. I had to keep the browser window open in order for the stream to keep playing. I had thought once I casted the stream from the browser I would be able to close it but as soon as I did Chromecast dropped the stream. I did not like things working this way so I returned the unit.

asliarun

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm »
That is indeed a limitation. But to be honest, no other streaming solution is going to support this kind of "direct from source streaming" from an embedded browser app either.

Hogg

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2017, 12:30 am »
The best blue tooth I've heard is the Wyred4sound Blink

https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/blink

Jim

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:24 am »
That is indeed a limitation. But to be honest, no other streaming solution is going to support this kind of "direct from source streaming" from an embedded browser app either.

Agreed. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The only solution that I know of would be to use a computer and control it with a with a remote desktop application. though this creates its own issues.

BoJonJovi

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2017, 05:48 pm »
I listen to Spotify pay for and stream over my desktop via Chrome. Chrome has a great little equalizer app that works well for me. This past month I did a lot of research on Tidal vs other streamers. I believe it was Consumer Guide that did the testing but I could be wrong. Most people could not hear an audible difference between Spotify and Tidal. I was talking to my son and he said "dad most people do no listen to music like you do" meaning most people just listen to music, not their systems. My wife just listens to music but appreciates a good system. I listen to the system and know it really does start with the recording or streaming. Having said that Spotify is working great for me. I could not be happier. My son and I put together a Spotify family plan for up to 6 people. that really drives the cost down.

I built my first stereo at around 12 years old. Bought my first system at 14, and have had an interest for 5 more decades. I recently spent a grand or more on a system that just sits. I now listen to almost all my music on a sub 200 dollar system. A pair of Andrew Jones, Pioneer bookshelves, a cheap class D amp, a 3 tube 6n3 preamp, and a couple bucket subs. I may be a little misleading with the sub 200 as just recently I added the subs and had a couple Jung plate amps laying around. My class d amp does have a sub out and I used that for a while and it was fine. Prior to the subs, I was very happy with this skeleton system. The subs did make a nice difference. I guess where I am going is what type of listener is your girlfriend?

Once I started following the cheap and cheerful forum HIFI became a hobby I really enjoy and can afford to make cheap systems or add cheap components. Before I spent a bunch of money on one system and was pretty much done. How many systems can a guy afford over a grand?
By following and delving into cheap and cheerful audio my interest in music and systems/components as a hobby has grown exponentially. Sometimes it is not how much you spend but how little that gives a guy a thrill. My cheap little system thrills me and I love the sound. Spotify is just great for what I got.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm »
Just found this https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Spotify-HiFi-solution-PC/td-p/1735516

As someone who prefers Spotify premium for everything it offers over Tidal (bigger library, music discovery features, more user-friendly interface, etc) except the sound quality, this is huge IF it's accurate. Hopefully it's a sign Spotify HiFi is coming to the public very soon!

Edit: I tried it and it does sound significantly better than through the regular Spotify desktop program to me