Online mattress companies

MaxCast

Re: Online mattress companies
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:18 pm »
Timely post for me as I'm fed up with our mattress.  Simmons pillow top model about 17 years old with dents on the top.  Feel like I'm in a hammock lol.
Been thinking about a type foam to put on top of our box spring.  Thanks for the links.  Hope it not like finding the legitimacy of the best ccc wire.  :icon_lol:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:09 pm »
Well, call me old fashioned or whatever you like but I personally cannot sleep on anything but a good waterbed.
I would like try this one.
It dont make noise when shake?

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:17 pm »
I would definitely recommend going somewhere and trying them. When we went, neither of us liked temper–pedic, and we still did not like the pure foam versions of those. However, we did like the combination foam and spring varieties. Originally, we thought we would like different spring plus foam varieties, particularly where the springs are individually encased. But we ended up liking the Tempur-Pedic better. We were there for quite some time testing. Unfortunately, it's still only a small test.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:28 pm »
I had a waterbed many years ago... there are pros and cons. They are good if all you do is sleep I guess. Some of today's spring/latex hybrids are pretty awesome, just gotta find the right one for you.

I also feel that people think of memory foam as some high end, ultimate sleep product but I HATE it. I think it's horrible. It's way too hot to sleep on and it takes time to adjust to every movement, and it's really bad for umm, other than sleep.  :lol:   Natural materials are far better imo, with a high quality wool topper being the ultimate best surface to sleep on for me.

DTB300

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2016, 04:59 pm »
I also feel that people think of memory foam as some high end, ultimate sleep product but I HATE it. I think it's horrible. It's way too hot to sleep on and it takes time to adjust to every movement, and it's really bad for umm, other than sleep.  :lol:   Natural materials are far better imo, with a high quality wool topper being the ultimate best surface to sleep on for me.
Yeah a bed is like an audio component - you need to try before you buy.  And what one person LOVES, someone hates.  :)

We have tried MANY different models and configurations over the years (Sleep number, coil, hybrids, etc.) and our Temperpedic is one of the best if not the best we have owned - so far.  And extra curricular activities on the bed are no issues for us.  LOL  I needed a very firm bed for my back (per Dr) and it has really worked out well for us.  And the firmest Temperpedic was the cheapest.  Lets see how it lasts or not.

Funny story:  20+ years ago we bought a new mattress and box spring and the wife wanted FIRM.  Well when this arrived we could barely sleep for the first 2 days as it was like sleeping on the floor LOL - later in the week we adjusted.  That bed only lasted 5 years and it was shot.

One of the best beds we have slept on over the years, until now, was a foam bed in Thailand.  Super bed.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:24 pm »
Yeah a bed is like an audio component - you need to try before you buy.  And what one person LOVES, someone hates.  :)

We have tried MANY different models and configurations over the years (Sleep number, coil, hybrids, etc.) and our Temperpedic is one of the best if not the best we have owned - so far.  And extra curricular activities on the bed are no issues for us.  LOL  I needed a very firm bed for my back (per Dr) and it has really worked out well for us.  And the firmest Temperpedic was the cheapest.  Lets see how it lasts or not.

Funny story:  20+ years ago we bought a new mattress and box spring and the wife wanted FIRM.  Well when this arrived we could barely sleep for the first 2 days as it was like sleeping on the floor LOL - later in the week we adjusted.  That bed only lasted 5 years and it was shot.

One of the best beds we have slept on over the years, until now, was a foam bed in Thailand.  Super bed.

Agreed... like audio equipment reviews are always mixed as well, making it very difficult to determine what's right for you. I spent way too much time mattress shopping, lol...  On memory foam I'm specifically talking about toppers/mattresses with a thick layer of soft memory foam you sink into. Firmer versions you don't sink into as much are much better imo... I did try out the firm Tempurpedic in a store, it was nice and definitely a contender. But as far as foams go I do like latex a lot more, for a lot more $. 

All foam beds can be excellent, but good ones I liked were very expensive, all over $3k and more like $4-5k. My hybrid was half that, which left more finances for the wool topper, which I'll never be without again. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:26 pm »
It dont make noise when shake?

You spend a little time burping out any air bubbles when you fill it, then it's pretty quiet. Most waterbeds are also filled with light foam to damp the waves, so they are more quiet and don't move as much as you might assume.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:37 pm »
Well, call me old fashioned or whatever you like but I personally cannot sleep on anything but a good waterbed. People in the US, which is where I live and always have think it was some kind of trend or fad and now poo poo it and laugh. In Europe they are still very popular because the bottom line is they don't create the pressure points all other mattresses cause. In Europe they are used in hospitals on a regular basis because they prevent bed sores for the patients. Here is Seattle at Harbor View and other hospitals they are used in the burn units for the same reason. Pressure points are a big problem for a lot of people and yes waterbeds can be a hassle to deal with because they are heavy. Especially if you have to move or they spring a leak. However, I have spent years going to some of the nicest hotels with the nicest of beds and woken up with sore shoulders, sore hips and an aching back from sleeping on all these supposed fancy beds. We recently purchased a very nice memory foam mattress for our beach house and I can's stand sleeping in it. It's too hot and I wake up sore. I also purchased a memory foam cover mattress only from Costco for a pull out couch bed and it is better than the couch but I still don't like it. My Wife's folks bought a very expensive latex mattress many years ago and they were always too hot, and it has the holes in it which was supposed to eliminate that issue. Anyway, companies are making really nice waterbed mattresses still today that are much better at being waveless and look just like any other mattress, we are actually buying a new one this month with a really cool platform bed to put it on. We are buying it on line because there is only one company in our area that sells them. The one we are buying is believe it or not from Sealy who makes really nice beds.

Greg, you must be my brother from another mother! I've been sleeping  on soft side waterbeds since the 70s with just a few lapses when it wasn't practical. Converted a couple of girlfriends and my now wife. Yep, people think it's a throwback thing, but aside from the in/out and the differing care protocol, we still love it.  Had a mattress I liked and had a (sort-of) warranty which I implemented, but its replacement was not equal and I purchased another, which is better but not perfect and am contemplating replacement.

It is indeed hard to shop for these things. Curious as to what you're getting and where. Thanks.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2016, 01:37 am »
Greg, you must be my brother from another mother! I've been sleeping  on soft side waterbeds since the 70s with just a few lapses when it wasn't practical. Converted a couple of girlfriends and my now wife. Yep, people think it's a throwback thing, but aside from the in/out and the differing care protocol, we still love it.  Had a mattress I liked and had a (sort-of) warranty which I implemented, but its replacement was not equal and I purchased another, which is better but not perfect and am contemplating replacement.

It is indeed hard to shop for these things. Curious as to what you're getting and where. Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Here is the link to what we are getting, I was going to get the more waveless model but the Mgr. I talked to said they are so firm it's not really like sleeping on a water bed. Pretty cool since the bed he steered me toward was less money. The newer matresses are much more waveless according to him and Sterling is the only company I am aware of that has replaceable pillow tops. The one we had you have to buy the whole cover and that means draining the bed. We are buying a really modern platform bed to set the mattress in so i will add a little extra support under it for the weight. The mattresses fit into any frame as they are standard sizes so that is really a bonus these days. Here's a link to the mattress and also to the platform we are buying, we are both pretty exited about it and started painting the bedroom walls before the new bamboo flooring goes in today.

http://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/sterling/sterling-softside-8400.aspx?CategoryID=560

Here is the bed, we are doing the dark wood with the light gray backboard.

Let me know what you think, being the excellent woodworker you are and seeing some of your work being more modern, I would be interested on your take of the design.

Thanks,

Greg

EDIT: Peter, I see I didn't include the link for the platform bed, not sure how I did that. Anyway, since you asked...   https://www.viesso.com/worth-bed.html
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2016, 07:40 pm by gregfisk »