Proud moment

Blackmore

Proud moment
« on: 4 May 2016, 12:33 am »
A former band student went shopping for vinyl with me today. We try to hit the stores about 3-4 times a year. She found a single-sided DJ version of YMCA and Macho Man and a sealed copy of "Whipped Cream".  Well of course she knew about the Village People but Herb Alpert was new to her. Since she was born 8 years after this album was released that's not too surprising. Anyway, the minute she hears the Tijuana Brass, she remembered the tunes from her grandfather's house. Knows the entire album and then she tells me all about the sound of the Altec Valencias; how there are no real highs, the horn is super fast, the bass is fun and she bets recording studios liked them because you can listen to them for hours without tiring. She thinks it's cool that something similar was used to mix a lot of her favorite tunes from the 60s. 

My little girl (well, she's a grown woman) is an audiophile/music lover.  I may cry. :bawl:

We listened and laughed through the dance versions of Village People, some Captain and Tenille "Muskrat Love" and she even found a Pandora station for Herb Alpert. What a great day!!!

hdspeakerman

Re: Proud moment
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2016, 02:28 am »
Great story!  Thanks for sharing.

daves

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2016, 02:44 am »
Way to go! Liam likes Whipped Cream a lot, and I showed him the photos of her now. My friend said he was whistling "The Lonely Bull" as he walked around in Tijuana at 2 am when we were working out there.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2016, 04:40 pm »
That's pretty awesome.

So if she likes Herb, you ought to introduce her to some other 70s(ish) guys like Chuck Mangioni. He did a few decent albums back in the day. Then you need to pull out the real kicker, Trio San Jose and give her a taste of some real mariachi music. The harmonies of those guys still astonish me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2016, 05:15 pm »
Fantastic story!  :thumb:

MerRev

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2016, 03:25 pm »
hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your listening session with a former student. 
It's nice to hear thoughts from people that are not in the hobby but willing to enjoy some tunes.

Having heard the Valencia's in your room was really quite shocking.
They were effortlessly big and just fun to listen to. 
Sitting along the back wall really helps ripen up the bottom end which is what made them so cool.
The Altec's vintage 1967 sitting on top of your gold carpeting paired with SET amps is something local guys should experience. :D

Chris

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2016, 04:10 pm »
Strange enough she was singing "Feels So Good" by Mangione telling me her neighbor used to stand outside and play his trumpet over and over. She liked the Valencias a lot and you guys need to come over for a listen. Maybe I can get Bethany over too. She's sharp and knows her music.

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2016, 11:59 pm »
Very cool. The legacy continues 8)

Baumli

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2016, 06:28 am »
Dear drooling members,

For those of you who don't know, it was the Ford model Delores Erickson who posed for the whipped cream cover on the Tijuana Brass album at issue.

Rumor has it that I was personally responsible for cleaning Delores up after that ad, getting all that whipped cream off her, and, well, you know.

I was involved in so many things back then, I don't have a clear memory of the event, but it could have happened, and I'm sure my cat didn't do it. He couldn't have lapped up that much whipped cream.

Amnestically yours,

Francis Baumli

daves

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2016, 10:32 am »
Francis, only the stuff at the very top was whipped crème. Everywhere else was shaving crème...made about five guys and a cat sick trying to get that off.

Baumli

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2016, 06:33 am »
Dear Dave,

Well, it didn't make me sick.

I think you're just jealous that you don't have the stomach for whipped cream of the carnal variety. Base degenerates like me do. Of course, I've had lots of practice. At being a base degenerate, that is.

Yours modestly,

Francis Baumli

daves

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2016, 02:49 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)