Anybody need a redbook DAC?

G

Anybody need a redbook DAC?
« on: 20 Apr 2016, 02:40 pm »
I have been on a DAC spending spree lately and now I have more of them than I need. First I bought a Theta Chroma. Nice DAC. The problem being that it had a -6dB filter due to it being a HDCD capable DAC. Using it between a Raspberry Pie with a HiFi Berry Digi+ and a SE 6L6 with no preamp gives lower than needed SPLs. I am going to keep that one though. There is a "fix" for the filter as I understand it but I will need to find a good tech to do it. I'm good with point to point soldering but PCBs and ICs are a whole different league.

So, being unsatisfied with the sound I invested in a Assemblage DAC 2.0. Nice case, good looking power supply, Tight bass, Highs are brittle and shrill. So I take off the cover and spot immediately that the opamps are mounted in sockets so chip rolling is a go. I get back on the intrawebs and find out that there are a plethora of "mods" that are available but at that point my lack of patience kicks in and back to Epay I go. This time I strike gold. I find a nice Theta Cobalt that needs a new daddy. Sounds absolutely wonderful! Then, still ailing from Epayitis I see that there is a Theta TLC with outboard power supply for a meager opening bid of 140.00. I strike quickly. I watch and yearn. Then on the last day, after no more bids are made it surely will be mine right? Wrong. The AH ends the listing even though I had made a bid. I am left with no recourse. I can't even give him bad feedback. The listing is just.............................gone. Poof. So desperate for satisfaction I use the "PAY ME NOW" option and pick up a Monarchy D.I.P. Fortune smiles on fools and desperate Audiophiles evidently. This setup sounds great : Theta Cobalt with a D.I.P. So know I have a Assemblage DAC that I need someone to buy for $175.00 and a Aragon D2A2 That powers up but won't lock on a signal thrown in for free in the hopes that someone know someone who can fix it and give it a good home. It was a wonderful sounding DAC in it's own right. I'ts very big though.  If anyone is interested in a DAC that needs some OPA627s and a freebie casualty that may not be down for the count let me know.

Gavin