Paul Klipsch--Did you know?

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
Paul Klipsch--Did you know?
« on: 12 Apr 2016, 05:06 am »

While the official company motto is “The Ultimate Sound Experience,” the unofficial one is “Bullshit.” Paul W. Klipsch started using the slogan after reading a competitor’s loudspeaker ad that made claims of supposed “breakthroughs.” After that, he wore a yellow "Bullshit" button behind his lapel and showed it to anyone he felt was making an outlandish claim.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Paul Klipsch--Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2016, 05:11 am »
I like that.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2016, 05:56 am »
I had the t-shirt, much to the chagrin of my junior high school teachers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2016, 08:14 am »
While the official company motto is “The Ultimate Sound Experience,” the unofficial one is “Bullshit.” Paul W. Klipsch started using the slogan after reading a competitor’s loudspeaker ad that made claims of supposed “breakthroughs.” After that, he wore a yellow "Bullshit" button behind his lapel and showed it to anyone he felt was making an outlandish claim.

Yup. He was idiosyncratic but sincere in my opinion. His "Dope from Hope" series of articles were a very informative read of what audio was like back then...check the Klipsch forum on the net. Fun stuff.

Anand.

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2016, 11:41 am »
Well Paul worked at being eccentric, though he did come by it naturally.  His backyard swimming pool, christened "The whale's graveyard", was an Olympic sized pool of just one lane, so he could do his laps.  He did put on a show in public, taking about driving into Little Rock to "tune up his ears" by "listening to the Little Rock Sympathy Orchestra" playing music by Tchaikovsky "who wrote pretty good music for an atheist", "then part of the orchestra goes out to catch a short beer", and such. Though while it was just me and him and 60 miles of driving, he was happy to inform and explain in minute detail the reason and logic to me of the correct way, from an engineering standpoint, what the most effective way to sit and steer the car was.  Advice that I follow to this day.  In restaurants he was always quick with a quip and not bashful about telling, at a goodly amount of decibels, the staff of Omaha's fanciest restuarant to "bring over a firehose" if they wouldn't keep his water glass full.  If you read "The Klipsch papers" ( a compendium of his letters and articles ) he had a very thorough and detailed grasp on expressing the electrical analogues of mechanical devices to calculate needed mechanical changes - in this case loudspeakers, and he was brilliant, detailed, and inclusive.  Most people don't know that he had more patents in airplane instrumentation, mining, and artillery than he had in sound equipment.

walkern

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:31 pm »
I worked for a Klipsch dealer in the Chicago area when the Consumer Electronics Show was held in Chicago, and Paul was a regular there each year.  He brought hundreds of records with him, and used to pass out little Bullsh#t buttons to anyone who knew well enough to ask.  As was noted, he was quite outspoken.  My favorite quote from him was as follows:  'what the world really needs is a great 5 watt amp'.

undertow

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2016, 03:07 pm »
Interestingly enough to this day most "Manufacturer" claims are B.S.! Sure some speaker, and audio designs have been changed over the years, but guess what? Physics are exactly the same in the last 50 years plus, and from what I understand the human ear has no upgrades available for the past few thousand years or so either  :thumb:

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:20 am »
I met Paul at a seminar he gave at the University of Missouri-Rolla in 1975.  He flew his Mooney up from his home in Hope, AR.  he was at least 80 at the time.  He gave me a "Bull$hit" button that I still have and treasure to this day.  He also sent me the copy of his Audio Papers I donated to the GAS library.  All for a kid who had the temerity to suggest some improvements to his Heresy speakers, (my first real hi-fi speakers).

He was quite an engineer, spending time in the railroad and aviation business before following his first love of audio engineering.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2016, 02:34 am »
 I was there that day in 1975.  i got to shake his hand.  I never thought I would be able to afford any of his speakers but I have had them for over 30 years.