Thorens TD150

mickthepope

Thorens TD150
« on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:23 am »
Just discovered GAS. I live in Soulard and just bought a Thorens TD150 from Alpha Tech. Would like to start working on it but not really sure where to start. It did not come with a cartridge so, ......duh! guess that would be the obvious first order of business. Don't know if I really want that TA13 tonearm on it forever, as it has no antiskate feature. Read someplace that no antiskating tears up the records. I could babble on for hours with endless questions but will exercise restraint. hee

electricbear

Re: Thorens TD150
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2016, 05:25 pm »
 You bought a turntable and joined GAS. It's a very slippery downhill slope from here on out. There are plenty of people here who will be able to guide and advise you. It really is a very special group. Welcome.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2016, 06:10 pm »
Welcome Mick

sturgus

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:41 pm »
Welcome Mick. If you have questions just ask. Some one should be able to help.  Tim, Bryan, good to hear from you.

michaelhigh

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:42 pm »
Someone could point you to Mike Missel, he's a good guy and good TT set-up man.

I have a Thorens TD-165, albeit without anti-skate as well. I beached it for that very reason.

Hopefully AlphaTech cut you a deal after leaving you no way to play a record, but took your money. Sounds like them.

Welcome and good luck with the Thorens.

mickthepope

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome. To be fair, I told the folks at Alpha Tech that I would purchase the table but their was no price on it, as the owner of the shop is away on holiday and won't be back  till the 29th. I was told they put a new belt on it and "re-greased" the bearing shaft thingie. My understanding is that the bearing uses oil and not grease but I may be wrong about that.  It is in decent condition and so I'm expecting to pay around $300 or so for it. It does appear to have the original arm on it which means I'll need to  find a new arm. That's where I feel I may be in a little over my head. The purchase of the table alone, much less another tone arm, is forcing me to brown bag my lunches for the next several months. Still,........ I'm looking forward to modding it to my desire. Patience is a virtue. So I have all these components (receiver, speakers, turntable) and still can't play any music yet.  hee.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:36 am »
Welcome Mick  :thumb:
I'm the last one you should ask about vinyl.
Have a nice day.