Looking for ideas for maybe a new digital camera to replace current FZ150

drewm

Well I just got the 18-55mm AF-P VR hopefully I can try it out this weekend.

You're gonna love it. It was the first 18-55mm I've owned (and I've owned 3) in which I felt like I could shoot wide open without degrading the image. It also focuses insanely fast.

chip

You're gonna love it. It was the first 18-55mm I've owned (and I've owned 3) in which I felt like I could shoot wide open without degrading the image. It also focuses insanely fast.

I only used it a short bit on saturday morning but did notice how much faster it focused on stuff.

chip

Lenses are limited by physics. Prime lenses will nearly always be sharper than zooms, but they have less convenience. The longer the zoom range, the worse it usually will perform.
I can tell you my dream DX lineup is pretty much:
Nikon 10-24mm AF-S Nikkor f/3.5-4.5G DX ED (ultra wide for landscapes, and artsy perspective distortion)
Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-P DX VR G NIKKOR (general midrange zoom, landscapes, portraits)
Nikon 70-300mm VR AF-P f/4.5-6.3 DX ED (distance zoom for animals)
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX (best in the dark and best for people)

A lot of travelers use the 18-200mm, but only because they hate swapping lenses and are willing to put up with the heavy weight and reduced sharpness in the corners.

You really can't do much better without going significantly more expensive and heavier.

What kinds of subjects are you shooting/want to shoot? What do you care about, more sharpness, more convenience?

Well for now I am down to these 3 and probably use them in this order as well......
Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-P DX VR G NIKKOR
Nikon 70-300mm VR AF-P f/4.5-6.3 DX ED
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX

Also I noticed my Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-P DX VR G NIKKOR  shows as a AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR in pictures and my Nikon 70-300mm VR AF-P f/4.5-6.3 DX ED shows as a    Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS...why is that?

How are these lenses compared to the Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-P DX VR  ?

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Nikon
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art DC HSM Lens for Nikon
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR