Replacing the wifi part of my router + wifi all in one

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Replacing the wifi part of my router + wifi all in one
« Reply #40 on: 9 Dec 2015, 02:35 am »
I really think we have to differentiate between extenders and access points here.  Extenders usually refers to something you add on to an existing Wi-Fi router. These are access points and you need a router in front of them.  You shouldn't have to use the Ubiquiti router, if you already have a Wi-Fi router combo you could just turn the wireless radio off via the interface.  That way you're just using the router part.  Initially I'll use a Cisco Wi-Fi router in exactly that way, eventually I may change that.

For those interested, I spent a good portion of last week running wire and installing these in the way described above with a Netgear switch after router. Used the POE injectors that came with access points.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

House is what's called a raised ranch style...mostly one level with two bedrooms upstairs in split level portion. I installed one in upstairs closet, one in main level hall and one in detached shop/garage...kind of a triangle configuration. I'm grateful a friend convinced me to run an empty conduit from house to shop when I built it.
Also installed an Insteon Hub so I could control shop/garage exterior lights from phone/iPad...fun!

Anyway, it's been rock solid since I got it set up...not a single glitch. And coverage?  I haven't' walked the perimeter of the property, a little over a half acre), but did check phone when I walked to mailbox. Not sure I need to be online when I'm getting mail, but I could be!
I was sour on wireless after putzing around with it for several years. Now I know it was mostly because of equipment. I'm a really happy (wireless) camper now.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #41 on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:45 am »
That makes sense. Anyway I just ordered the other one for $70 and it will be here tomorrow.   Can always upgrade in the future.

I just remembered - arstechnica.com may have reviewed these.

Well this is moving quickly for me.  I should be receiving a UAP-AC-LR this week (that's their latest series of APs, wireless AC,  LR=long range).

I have one of their routers up and running too (ERX SFP with PoE built in).
So now I'm free of actiontec, and may have an extra UAP.

shadowlight

« Reply #42 on: 24 Dec 2015, 08:01 pm »
Folks, who are deploying UAP devices are you getting the wireless settings from existing ASUS/Netgear/Linksys/Cisco router or are you going all Ubiquiti Networks for router/gateway also?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #43 on: 24 Dec 2015, 08:13 pm »
Not sure I understand your question.  I am now using a ubiquiti ERX-SFP for my router and a ubiquiti unifi access point.

Are you asking how to configure them?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #44 on: 24 Dec 2015, 08:18 pm »
Folks, who are deploying UAP devices are you getting the wireless settings from existing ASUS/Netgear/Linksys/Cisco router or are you going all Ubiquiti Networks for router/gateway also?

I'm using an already owned Cisco wifi/router but turned the wifi part off so it's inactive. Utilizing  only the router portion as gateway. Wireless is set up completely within app on host computer. Very easy; got everything wired up, launched controller, it found APs, I named and passworded it and made a few other choices and done.

Switches were a mix of Netgear and TP Link but really no concern since they're on the Ethernet cabling and have no connection to wireless system.

I was a little apprehensive about the setup, but for no reason as it turns out.

shadowlight

« Reply #45 on: 24 Dec 2015, 09:45 pm »
Thx Guys.  I reached out to Ubiquiti and I can use my existing router/firewall.  The SSID's are configured on the controller server software and once it is configured it no longer needs to be up and running unless you are using timed based or guest portal access.

Ferdi

« Reply #46 on: 22 Jan 2016, 11:05 pm »
HI, it must have been about 10 years since my last post.  :o

I have just replaced an ageing Netgear WNDR4500 and FIOS Actiontec router with Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite3, a Trendnet 8 port Gb switch and 2 new generation UAP AC Pro wifi access points.

I have upgraded firmware to the latest Beta (1.8Beta3 and 3.4.13.3400). Things seem stable now but I still need to work on getting QoS working to my liking. VoIP is still being trampled on by other services.

I'm done with consumer level equipment now. A lot to learn but there is a good community so we'll get there.

shadowlight

« Reply #47 on: 6 Feb 2017, 09:19 pm »
Are folks who are using Ubiquiti happy with the solution that they are using?  I am finally getting around to thinking about ordering.  Looking at Eero, Luma, Google and Ubiquiti.  I would like to back haul data over wired connections instead of wireless.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #48 on: 6 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm »
I'm very happy.  I use (in my home) an erx-sfp for a router and a uap-ac-lr for my wireless access point.  I have a very basic config for both.  Since I've set up both, unifi has released several firmware and controller upgrades that would have made it even easier to configure.  You can even set up the uap's with their app and then you don't even need the controller.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #49 on: 7 Feb 2017, 07:39 pm »
I can't say enough good about the system I installed. It's been rock solid, I don't even think about wifi now...it just works.

Ubiquiti has recently started gunning for the home market too, although I don't know much about the products.

https://amplifi.com/

FWIW, I like this company and the way it's run enough that I bought stock and that's been good too.

kenreau

« Reply #50 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:04 pm »
I can't say enough good about the system I installed. It's been rock solid, I don't even think about wifi now...it just works.

Ubiquiti has recently started gunning for the home market too, although I don't know much about the products.

https://amplifi.com/

FWIW, I like this company and the way it's run enough that I bought stock and that's been good too.

If I understand correctly, the WAPs plug in to your electrical 120V house grid in place of Ethernet cables?  I've seen these type of devices, but have concerns of dumping more noise on to the already noisy electrical power lines.  Is that a valid concern?

Thx
Kenreau

srb

« Reply #51 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:16 pm »
If I understand correctly, the WAPs plug in to your electrical 120V house grid in place of Ethernet cables?  I've seen these type of devices, but have concerns of dumping more noise on to the already noisy electrical power lines.  Is that a valid concern?

Ken, AFAIK Ubiquiti's Amplfi system is not using Ethernet over Powerline, it's all wireless.  They just decided to design the access points to plug directly into the wall rather than building them into a box with an external power cord.

Steve

kenreau

« Reply #52 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:05 pm »
Good to know, thanks, Steve.

I appear to be in a similar situation and perhaps some of you could offer a recommendation? I'm looking to add wifi extenders {WAPs?} to expand the coverage in my house.  I have a Century Link fiber feed to the house. It converts to Ethernet at the service entry and runs to a Technicolor C2100T modem wifi router (and their prism V service) I placed in the center floor plan of our basement.  The wifi signal is very weak at either end of our rectangular house and I would like to add a wifi extender to each end (2 locations).

I was looking at the Google wifi device and now this Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite.  My notion is a whole house mesh network is overkill and I'd rather not spend >~$350+ to do this.  We run 98% apple devices so 802.11 ac is desired.  My notion is the Google wifi's may be overkill ($112 each) especially if I don't need their whole house mesh set up.  I'm hoping just adding two of the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lites ($80 each) may be the easiest to implement and least costly. 

Thanks
Kenreau

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #53 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:10 pm »
Good to know, thanks, Steve.

I appear to be in a similar situation and perhaps some of you could offer a recommendation? I'm looking to add wifi extenders {WAPs?} to expand the coverage in my house.  I have a Century Link fiber feed to the house. It converts to Ethernet at the service entry and runs to a Technicolor C2100T modem wifi router I placed in the center floor plan of our basement.  The wifi signal is very weak at either end of our rectangular house and I would like to add a wifi extender to each end (2 locations).

I was looking at the Google wifi device and now this Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite.  My notion is a whole house mesh network is overkill and I'd rather not spend >~$350+ to do this.  We run 98% apple devices so 802.11 ac is desired.  My notion is the Google wifi's may be overkill ($112 each) especially if I don't need their whole house mesh set up.  I'm hoping just adding two of the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lites ($80 each) may be the easiest to implement and least costly. 

Thanks
Kenreau

I'd post your question on the ubiquiti unifi forum.  Don't be intimidated, they take questions from newbies on up to businesses that use hundreds of them.  They always have been patient and helpful to me (a novice).

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/bd-p/UniFi

kenreau

« Reply #54 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:26 pm »
I'd post your question on the ubiquiti unifi forum.  Don't be intimidated, they take questions from newbies on up to businesses that use hundreds of them.  They always have been patient and helpful to me (a novice).

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/bd-p/UniFi

Thanks. I just found this related article on the wire cutter site.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #55 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:38 pm »
Thanks. I just found this related article on the wire cutter site.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

Definitely post there.  I'm not sure what you need is a mesh.  I'm not up on terminology.  Most folks there just describe their situation and goals, and they'll help out.

srb

« Reply #56 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:53 am »
Ken,

With the UniFi UAP line, one gets wired to the router by Ethernet cable, and although there is a Wireless Uplink function to wirelessly connect to another UniFi AP, wireless extenders (not connected by Ethernet cable) usually have pretty poor throughput.  The Wireless Uplink can be a solution, but not necessarily the best solution particularly if you're trying to wirelessly uplink to another UAP on the opposite end of the house.

If it were me and I had some flexibility to run Ethernet cabling from the basement, I would disable the wireless radio of the modem/router and connect two UAPs by Ethernet cable to the router and install them at the 1/3 and 2/3 length of the house.

I would avoid installing them in the basement though, and if it was too much extra trouble to run the Ethernet cables all the way to main floor ceiling locations, I would install them ~ 6 ft. up the main floor walls if possible.  The Ethernet cable will provide Power Over Ethernet to the APs from the included POE power injectors, so you wouldn't need any extra wiring to power them.

Steve
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2017, 11:51 pm by srb »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #57 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:26 am »
Ken, what Steve (srb) describes would be ideal for what you want, and will most likely outperform any kind of "extender". I fought with wireless for a long time and the Ubiquiti setup works seamlessly and it's delivered just what I was looking for...great coverage and reliability.

It was not inexpensive and involved a good deal of my time to install initially, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I was jaded when it came to wireless in out home.

Doublej

« Reply #58 on: 9 Aug 2017, 11:11 am »
While it's a boring and relatively cheap approach you might be able to solve your problem by simply using a decent wireless router instead of the one built into the all in one unit.

kenreau

« Reply #59 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:34 pm »
Thanks AC gang for the great info and suggestions.

While it's a boring and relatively cheap approach you might be able to solve your problem by simply using a decent wireless router instead of the one built into the all in one unit.

This is actually how I have been running the past year.  I had a nice ASUS wifi router I extended by ethernet to the center of the house.  We have been using the back of house patio all summer and the signal just barely reaches a usable coverage area back there, hence the aspiration to get a well thought out system with multi ap's in place.

I'm looking for a local tech company now to install and set up the network for two of the Unifi APs.

Thanks again,
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017, 11:38 pm by kenreau »