Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review

Pryso

Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review
« Reply #280 on: 15 Dec 2017, 05:34 pm »
Speed Racer, I see you have the autographed version.  :lol:

Maybe I should check but I don't believe mine is.  It's over a year old and maybe he wasn't signing them then?  :scratch:

But it doesn't matter, I love it anyway.

mresseguie

« Reply #281 on: 15 Dec 2017, 05:38 pm »

Maybe I should check but I don't believe mine is.  It's over a year old and maybe he wasn't signing them then?  :scratch:

Yeah. I noticed that, too. I'm jealous - but only a wee bit:green: I'm certain a shot of single malt will help. 8)

Speed Racer

« Reply #282 on: 15 Dec 2017, 08:02 pm »

Didn't Don tell you guys? I am getting the first and last "Signature" model ever made!!

screener

« Reply #283 on: 15 Dec 2017, 09:22 pm »
Didn't Don tell you guys? I am getting the first and last "Signature" model ever made!!

Yours will sound the best. Mine just went down in value http://www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/icon_cry.gif.

Pryso

« Reply #284 on: 16 Dec 2017, 06:20 pm »
I should have said "Signature" version.  That what other companies charge extra for.  But don't get any ideas Don.  :nono:

A_shah

« Reply #285 on: 22 Dec 2017, 07:28 am »
Asghar,

The Deulund DCA 20 & 16 Ga are a phenomenal combination at under $300 for both. I couldn't justify keeping $Ks of IC and SC after hear these Deulunds... Very detailed and organic sounding with unbelieveable musicality...

Wig

Ron,
was able to get a pair of Dueland 16 awg speaker wires (14 feet twisted pair ends were tinned ) off some one on AC , since my Don Sach's  DS 2 also has Dueland internal  wiring thought it would give it  Synergy ,  I was not expecting much as their has been a lot of hype about these wires , but guess what ! I liked them in  the first 5 minutes ( that is the time I give my system when i make any changes  ) have to agree with you,  voices are forward,  very detailed , music is a bit recessed in the background definitely very organic sounding and very musical , will leave them in my system for some times and see how they work out.
Asghar

Wig

« Reply #286 on: 22 Dec 2017, 07:43 am »
Ron,
was able to get a pair of Dueland 16 awg speaker wires (14 feet twisted pair ends were tinned ) off some one on AC , since my Don Sach's  DS 2 also has Dueland internal  wiring thought it would give it  Synergy ,  I was not expecting much as their has been a lot of hype about these wires , but guess what ! I liked them in  the first 5 minutes ( that is the time I give my system when i make any changes  ) have to agree with you,  voices are forward,  very detailed , music is a bit recessed in the background definitely very organic sounding and very musical , will leave them in my system for some times and see how they work out.
Asghar

Asghar,

That's awesome and think you will like them ever more as they settle in over the next 30+ hours.

Wig

Wig

« Reply #287 on: 22 Dec 2017, 09:39 pm »
Asghar,

How's the Dac sounding in your system and I imagine your DS2 is almost burned-in?

Thanks,
Wig

A_shah

« Reply #288 on: 27 Dec 2017, 09:17 am »
Asghar,

How's the Dac sounding in your system and I imagine your DS2 is almost burned-in?

Thanks,
Wig
Ron,
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays
The DS Sounds GR8 ! compared to my other DACS Mojo ( for travel but can be used as a DAC and a pre-amp has a 3 Volt out put when used as pre-amp ) and my schiit  Gungnir used  permanently on my Desk top system I use both the Audeze Deckard, sweet sounding headphone amp  and than I feed the 2nd set of analog outputs  into my standmount Kef LS 50 Wireless system
Yes I believe the DS 2 is almost burned in, sounds wonderful, I was able to get couple of Hi -Rez DVD-ROM Discs ( Emerald Audiophile polycarbonate )  uncompressed WAV. custom burnt from Todd Garfunkel( Great Guy !) of M & A audio , Le Segundo , and Sera una noche ,  The sound stage ! just explodes ! with multiple layering of instruments with the DS2 & the Directstream DAC
Did you get your DS-2 ?
Asghar

A_shah

« Reply #289 on: 27 Dec 2017, 09:32 am »
Just a note to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.   As my Christmas present to myself I spent 4 hours upgrading MY power amp to the current standard.  I was listening to one without auto biasing and the fully regulated power supply.  It did have a huge film capacitor power supply.   It has been playing now for a day and the difference is apparent.   I promise to get back to working on everyone else's orders in a day or two.  To those who are waiting, they are all coming! 

I know most of you know this, but if you want a simple and cheap system tweak try making a pair of RCA (or XLR) cables using the Duelund stranded 20 gauge I use in the preamps.  There is only one source for N. America and that is parts connexion.  It is about $7 per meter or so.  You need 4 meters for a 1 meter pair of cables plus a pair of RCA jacks.  So you can build a cable for $35-40.  Here is the wire:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product31386.html

You could use the 16 gauge, but there is no current flow in a signal cable and the 20 is easier to work with.  These have replaced all fancy cables in my system.  Not even close.  These sound like music......  Put a pair between my amp and preamp and enjoy.  Best $40 cable you will ever hear!

Happy Listening!

Don

Don,
 I am a bit lazy , although do own a soldiering iron , and the paraphernalia that goes with it , but lucked out when someone on AC advertised he a pair of two week old 13 foot Dueland DCA 16 made by Chris at parts connexion for sale I picked those, as luck would have it some one else also on AC offered to sell me a pair of Dueland IC with Dueland gold connectors (expensive) but the price was right so expecting them to come in a fews day, do agree with you the Dueland speaker cables sound wonderful with your DS-2 and my power amp and speakers . Their is also a source on Flea Bay who selling custom made Dueland IC , I guess he gets the parts from Parts connexion I assume  Cheers !  :D

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #290 on: 27 Dec 2017, 03:58 pm »
HI
Don't judge any RCA cable that is longer than 3-4 ft.  You start to get problems with really long rca cables, although they are admittedly very slight.  Anything over 10 ft. is kind of pushing it though.  Personally, I would never waste money of fancy connectors or rca panel jacks.  A decent quality gold plated connector or jack is just fine and there is no sonic difference, despite what all the snake oil people want you to believe.  As long as the connection between the wire and the panel jack or connector is good and well soldered.  That is my opinion anyway:)   

cheers,
Don

deadhead

« Reply #291 on: 27 Dec 2017, 04:18 pm »
I paid $4 for the RCA's I soldered on.  Listening to Annie Lennox "Bare" right now.  Detail is stunning.  All that and it's not even playing through Don's electronics yet!

A_shah

« Reply #292 on: 27 Dec 2017, 07:13 pm »
HI
Don't judge any RCA cable that is longer than 3-4 ft.  You start to get problems with really long rca cables, although they are admittedly very slight.  Anything over 10 ft. is kind of pushing it though.  Personally, I would never waste money of fancy connectors or rca panel jacks.  A decent quality gold plated connector or jack is just fine and there is no sonic difference, despite what all the snake oil people want you to believe.  As long as the connection between the wire and the panel jack or connector is good and well soldered.  That is my opinion anyway:)   

cheers,
Don

+ 1

Speed Racer

« Reply #293 on: 27 Dec 2017, 08:24 pm »
Asghar,

Thanks,
Wig

I am not Asghar, but I too just picked upped a PS Audio DirectStream DAC (in black) with a Bridge II card. It, and my DS-2, are now pretty much burned in. The DAC has 350 hours of burn-in time on it and I have 132 hours of burn-in time on the Theta caps in my DS-2.

The DirectStream with Red Cloud has exceeded my expectations. My Yggdrasil is a great DAC but it is now for sale. The two key areas where I prefer the DirectStream are soundstage presentation and musicality. The soundstage is more 3D and the voices and instruments have better isolation. Yggdrasil throws a wonderful soundstage. But not with quite as much separation and depth and that changes the experience noticeably. The music is more musical on the DirectStream. I know that is vague. But when I compare the DirectStream to Yggdrasil on technical merits, there is really not that much between them. But, when I listen to songs, the DirectStream is more pleasant to listen to. The sound is less digital and more fun. Yet all the detail is there. Other pluses include the ability to upgrade the DAC in the field which means the DAC can made even better without sending it in or having to buy a new one. And it is free! Finally, the Bridge II card lets me get rid of my Roon endpoint. I just plug it into my Ethernet network and I am ready to go!

The Don Sachs Model 2 line stage is a huge step up from the Schiit Audio Freya preamp I had. Music comes from a more black background. Even the Freya in passive mode was not as quiet. I am using the DS-2 with a wonderful Pioneer M-22 30 watt dual mono Class A amp and really efficient speakers. With the DS-2 being dual mono as well, the channel separation allows for an incredible soundstage. Instruments and voices just feet apart are easy to discern. I am hearing things I had never heard before in music I am quite familiar with. I think most of it has to do with the improved separation. I am not hearing a lot of tube color but I am sure some of that is there. What I am hearing is better micro and macro dynamics with impressive levels of detail. The bottom line is the music sounds more like I think music should and certainly more like vinyl.

I am very happy with both the DirectStream and the Don Sachs Model 2. My 2 channel system has taken a huge step up in sound quality with these new components. The DS-2 makes the bigger impact though.

Scott

A_shah

« Reply #294 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:59 pm »
I am not Asghar, but I too just picked upped a PS Audio DirectStream DAC (in black) with a Bridge II card. It, and my DS-2, are now pretty much burned in. The DAC has 350 hours of burn-in time on it and I have 132 hours of burn-in time on the Theta caps in my DS-2.

The DirectStream with Red Cloud has exceeded my expectations. My Yggdrasil is a great DAC but it is now for sale. The two key areas where I prefer the DirectStream are soundstage presentation and musicality. The soundstage is more 3D and the voices and instruments have better isolation. Yggdrasil throws a wonderful soundstage. But not with quite as much separation and depth and that changes the experience noticeably. The music is more musical on the DirectStream. I know that is vague. But when I compare the DirectStream to Yggdrasil on technical merits, there is really not that much between them. But, when I listen to songs, the DirectStream is more pleasant to listen to. The sound is less digital and more fun. Yet all the detail is there. Other pluses include the ability to upgrade the DAC in the field which means the DAC can made even better without sending it in or having to buy a new one. And it is free! Finally, the Bridge II card lets me get rid of my Roon endpoint. I just plug it into my Ethernet network and I am ready to go!

The Don Sachs Model 2 line stage is a huge step up from the Schiit Audio Freya preamp I had. Music comes from a more black background. Even the Freya in passive mode was not as quiet. I am using the DS-2 with a wonderful Pioneer M-22 30 watt dual mono Class A amp and really efficient speakers. With the DS-2 being dual mono as well, the channel separation allows for an incredible soundstage. Instruments and voices just feet apart are easy to discern. I am hearing things I had never heard before in music I am quite familiar with. I think most of it has to do with the improved separation. I am not hearing a lot of tube color but I am sure some of that is there. What I am hearing is better micro and macro dynamics with impressive levels of detail. The bottom line is the music sounds more like I think music should and certainly more like vinyl.

I am very happy with both the DirectStream and the Don Sachs Model 2. My 2 channel system has taken a huge step up in sound quality with these new components. The DS-2 makes the bigger impact though.

Scott

Scott,
I was waiting for your comparison of the yggdrasil & Directstream, you nailed it when you write "more pleasent to listen to , less digital and more fun" I would add to it more natural " Both are good DAC's but different animals in how they work and process digital signal  Yggdrasil, is a ladder R2R DAC  and the Directstream is FPGA DAC both process sound differently Directstream up scales the signal 10 to 20 times and than plays all music as DSD, Yggdrasil does not play DSD as Mike Moffet of Schiit does not believe in DSD ? but DSD definitely sounds very natural . Cheers !

Speed Racer

« Reply #295 on: 28 Dec 2017, 04:02 am »
I was waiting for your comparison of the yggdrasil & Directstream, you nailed it when you write "more pleasent to listen to , less digital and more fun" I would add to it more natural " Both are good DAC's but different animals in how they work and process digital signal  Yggdrasil, is a ladder R2R DAC  and the Directstream is FPGA DAC both process sound differently Directstream up scales the signal 10 to 20 times and than plays all music as DSD, Yggdrasil does not play DSD as Mike Moffet of Schiit does not believe in DSD ? but DSD definitely sounds very natural . Cheers !

I agree, the music does sound more natural with the DirectStream. I would add that it sounds more real. The DS-2 takes that to another level over what I experienced with Freya and the DirectStream.

Don't get me wrong, the Yggdrasil is a great DAC. In fact, there is not a DAC under $5,000 that I would rather have. The DirectStream is special. I am glad I found one that was less than 3 months old with maybe 100 hours on it at a steal of a price! Otherwise I never would tried it.

Wig

« Reply #296 on: 28 Dec 2017, 05:10 am »
Aghar,

My Sach's duet will arrive in January and it's going to be nice waking the Acoustic Zen's back up :) I've tried 2 Dacs over the past year and found my Modwright Sony 5400 at the time to be better sounding in comparison to the Berkeley and Lampizator Level 4.  I have upgraded to a Marantz SA 8005 Modified by Modwright and it is a wonderful sounding unit; those Dacs were refined but couldn't deal with a drastic reduction in sound stage and impact.

Good to hear that the Direct stream is working for you guys.

Wig

A_shah

« Reply #297 on: 28 Dec 2017, 05:20 am »
Aghar,

My Sach's duet will arrive in January and it's going to be nice waking the Acoustic Zen's back up :) I've tried 2 Dacs over the past year and found my Modwright Sony 5400 at the time to be better sounding in comparison to the Berkely and Lampizator Level 4.  I have upgraded to a Marantz SA 8005 Modified by Modwright and it is a wonderful sounding unit; those Dacs were refined but couldn't deal with a drastic reduction in sound stage and impact.

Good to hear that the Direct stream is working for you guys.

Wig

WOW ! Always thought Berkeley & Lampizator were top of the Heap !
Happy Holidays
Asghar

JackD

« Reply #298 on: 28 Dec 2017, 06:27 am »
Ashgar

There is a guy on another forum who owned a Berkley Ref 2 and a Big 7 and now has a DS so it boils down to what you hear in your system with the rest of your components.  Mine has been in place for two weeks and it is probably here for a while. 

Speed Racer

« Reply #299 on: 28 Dec 2017, 07:19 am »

WOW ! Always thought Berkeley & Lampizator were top of the Heap !
Happy Holidays
Asghar

I listened to the Berkeley and several Lampizators and was completely unimpressed with them compared to the Yggdrasil. A friend has a Chord Dave and that is the only DAC besides the DirectStream that I would consider over the Yggdrasil. The price differences are just too huge to ignore which is why I don't have a Dave and I have the DirectStream only because a killer deal came along.