JP78

Happy Holidays!
« on: 9 Nov 2014, 08:30 am »
<snip>
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm by JP78 »

Russell Dawkins

Re: logo design?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2014, 10:03 am »
I think your cases are an absolute work of art, and it almost seems like the logo is an afterthought.  I can't help but wonder if you invested the same philosophy of detail that is evident in the meticulous nature of your work that you would have more sales. This may seem harsh but to me the logo ruins an otherwise perfectly designed object.
Best,

Really? I think the design of the logo, the cases, the record weight and even the choice of name all match quite closely.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2014, 03:10 pm »
Good logo design, as you somewhat stated, is not really a simple thing to do.  I'll add that most don't know how difficult it is, especially without an education in art & design and perhaps some aptitude in marketing. I think Aluminati makes some excellent gear, and I'm willing to bet that the guys at Aluminati are all engineers. Engineers, I find, to be a very detail oriented breed, with a tendency toward thoroughness and careful calculation. With that said, they aren't as "left brained" as designers / artists. Aluminati is a small operation. I doubt they have the money to hire a graphic designer or industrial designer, and instead rely on their skill sets, even if it means using a simple, clean, common font for creating a logotype. They could've done MUCH worse, but agree it can be better. Note : I'm an industrial designer. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2014, 05:55 pm by RDavidson »

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2014, 07:39 pm »
Hi Guys,

We knew from the beginning we wanted to come up with a different logo. It was a conscious choice to keep it simple with the idea of changing it in the next year. As you stated, having a unique logo can really catch the eye and help pull in sales but at the same time creating the wrong logo can hurt us just as easy.

Thanks for the kind words and it feels good to know there are people out there who will share their opinions.

Best,
Matt and Jason

JP78

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2014, 08:33 pm »
<snip>
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm by JP78 »

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2014, 09:34 pm »
All I will say about these generic graphic / logo farms is that they do nothing but harm the industry and mock the true service that a designer or design firm provides. Something like a logo should be as personal as a signature. Creating a logo should be a very personal process, not simply thumbing through a catalog and saying "That's cool. That represents me and my business, sort of." With that said, I abhor these graphic farms. They're awful. :duh:

JP78

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2014, 09:37 pm »
<snip>
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 05:48 pm by JP78 »

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2014, 09:44 pm »
Everything being said is perfectly fine and respectful :)

We do have some ideas but they need some fine tuning.

Best,
Matt and Jason

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2014, 03:19 am »
As an industry professional I respect your opinion and yes you're right they may lake that ultimate finesse.  For shoestring startups they're a godsend.  They're not just farms, a lot of them are formally educated freelancers, some of whom you can actually pay to design your logo.  We're not talking Shutterstock here.

I enjoy a good discussion as much as the next guy, but we should probably move this to a different circle.   :thumb:

I understand their purpose, and designers need to eat too. It's a dog eat dog world. It's the Walmartization of design. I get it. The thing is, freelance designers and even firms typically work with the customer to understand the goal and budget. So, I still really don't like the idea of choosing from a catalog. Though it may put food on the table, I doubt these designers understand that they're watering down and devaluing their own education and craft.....but if they don't do it, someone else will. It's just a garbage situation.....but at the end of the day, good design and proper processes will prevail and provide the best solutions.
Sorry, I'm sensitive to this. I'm passionate about what I do and all sectors of design. It should be valued, just as other services are valued that require education, skill, and talent.

WireNut

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2014, 03:23 am »
It's only limited to the imagination and skill of the cad programmer and machinist.

« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2014, 10:47 am by WireNut »

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2014, 03:29 am »
It's only limited to the imagination and skill of the cad programmer and machinist.

That's somewhat true. What I find is that all people are creative to some extent, but not all have the skill or talent to fully visualize and create directly from their imagination. That's where designers thrive. How a writer uses words to create a book, a designer uses visual language to create all kinds of things, both real and virtual.

And keep in mind that CAD is a tool, just like a pad and pen is a tool. Some are more prolific than others in the varying skills required to fully utilize all facets of these tools. This is not at all a slight at Aluminati or anyone else. Some people just never fully realize the potential of their tools for various reasons.

For instance, most engineers will scoff at CAD surfacing, because they don't see it's purpose snd they think it is adding complexity for the hell of it. Little do they know how difficult it is to design the curvature of a car door, which can only be done with surfacing and clay modeling. You can't design some of the beautiful objects we have in our daily lives with the limitations of solid modeling. Likewise, designers lack the tecnical know how of engineers. It's a relationship that can be strained sometimes, but the relationship is very necessary for mutual success.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2014, 03:31 am »
Hi Matt and all.
Up to now, all the pictures of your creations that you have posted here are nice,
well done, original and much, much more.
I like all your work and I am sure if a potential customer comes with his own idea
you can do it and even enhance it.
Keep up the good work.

Guy 13
aka: An admirer of your work.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2014, 03:32 am »
That's somewhat true. What I find is that all people are creative to some extent, but not all have the skill or talent to fully visualize and create directly from their imagination. That's where designers thrive. How a writer uses words to create a book, a designer uses visual language to create all kinds of things, both real and virtual.

:thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2014, 04:17 am »
Sorry for going off on a tangent. It is my feeling that creative professions are often misunderstood or over-simplified, and are thus under appreciated. But thanks to companies like Apple and Google, design is getting the recognition it deserves both as a service and as a necessity across the globe and across all industries......and that's why we see the Walmartization of it also.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2014, 05:15 pm by RDavidson »

JP78

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2014, 09:14 am »
<snip>
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 05:48 pm by JP78 »

greenkiwi

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2014, 06:00 am »
you might PM them your designer's info...