Signature 15 - tube issue?

lousyreeds1

Signature 15 - tube issue?
« on: 23 Aug 2014, 12:14 pm »
Hi all, (hi Vinnie),

Quick question.  My wonderful Sig 15 integrated has to be jacked up to almost 3/4 volume to realistically fill my 12 x 15 foot living room.  It's driving Omega Super 6 XRS speakers, 92db efficient.  Does that sound normal?  It seems like this hasn't always been the case, and I'm wondering if it could be failing tube.  Unfortunately I don't have any others to replace it with as an experiment, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks,
Oliver

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Signature 15 - tube issue?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:35 am »
Hi all, (hi Vinnie),

Quick question.  My wonderful Sig 15 integrated has to be jacked up to almost 3/4 volume to realistically fill my 12 x 15 foot living room.  It's driving Omega Super 6 XRS speakers, 92db efficient.  Does that sound normal?  It seems like this hasn't always been the case, and I'm wondering if it could be failing tube.  Unfortunately I don't have any others to replace it with as an experiment, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

What source are you using to feed your Sig 15?  Some sources have lower output voltage than others (e.g. a phonostage can have, say, 0.5Vrms output, which will mean that you will need to turn up the volume quite a bit more compared to a standard 2Vrms line level source.).

If it is a dac and you are using USB input, do you have the volume bar maxed out in the playback software?  It could be that it was set to max, but got moved to a lower setting...

Most likely it is not the tube - but I suppose it is possible.

Vinnie

lousyreeds1

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2014, 09:02 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in following up.  I'm using your Isabellina HPA and Ginevra phono stage as sources.  I had thought these used different tube types than the Sig 15 and then realized that was wrong, so I flipped some tubes around and nothing has changed. 

It's completely possible that this is just normal given the size of my room and listening preferences, just wanted to get your take. 

Thanks,
Oliver

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2014, 01:57 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in following up.  I'm using your Isabellina HPA and Ginevra phono stage as sources.  I had thought these used different tube types than the Sig 15 and then realized that was wrong, so I flipped some tubes around and nothing has changed. 

It's completely possible that this is just normal given the size of my room and listening preferences, just wanted to get your take. 

Thanks,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Yes, it sounds like it is normal then.  Sig 15 gain is set to approx. 26dB (not very high, but not too low either). 

Best regards,

Vinnie

PS:  I believe your HPA's RCA outputs are FIXED LEVEL, but just in case they are not, just make sure the volume is set
to max so you have full signal feeding the Sig 15.