Eastman Sax ensemble video

Blackmore

Eastman Sax ensemble video
« on: 13 May 2014, 02:29 pm »
Very wild performance accompanied by a percussion ensemble.  Asphalt Cocktail by John Mackey.  I've performed pieces by this new composer and like all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7nNfhZhGGic

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
Re: Eastman Sax ensemble video
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2014, 10:25 pm »
Okay, I give up.  What is the oversized ice bucket that is 'played' between 5:10 and 5:19? Even at 1080HD I really can't see what it is, though it certainly is audible.
Ken

Okay, found it:  Percussion player #3: Tambourine, metal cocktail shaker with nuts, etc. inside, and small metal trash can filled with metal, taped shut.  Though the score says to slam it to the floor, the young lady has a convenient table, probably recommended by a chiropractor, which considering OSHA regulations is probably a good idea.

Blackmore

Re: Eastman Sax ensemble video
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2014, 10:31 pm »
Yeah, Ken the metal trash can has become a "standard" in band literature lately.  Novo Lenio by Samuel Hazo has a part specifically for metal trash cans to simulate the building of a new high school.   Must have been pretty loud standing in front of her. 

On that note, I'm ordering the newest ear defender that drum lines are using. Earasers are all the rage right now in my little section of Missouri. About $40 on Amazon and are pretty invisible when you're on stage, unlike my Etymotic ear plugs.