Poll

Format Pesto: How do you mainly listen to your hifi music?

Vinyl only
7 (6.3%)
CD only
17 (15.2%)
CD and Vinyl
23 (20.5%)
iPod type Dock and DAC
2 (1.8%)
Computer through DAC
30 (26.8%)
Streamer from server/computer stored music.
18 (16.1%)
Streamer from online or cloud based music.
13 (11.6%)
I only listen to the BBC on the wireless
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

How do you listen to your music these days? And more format pesto.

artk

Two reasons I am waiting to move on DSD (or other Hi Res format). One, finances and the other the settling out of the delivery systems. It appears that the industry is ready to move forward in unison on Hi Res music playback. I will wait until the dust has settled and we have passed on through a couple of generations of playback equipment so that I get good quality, glitch free and affordable Hi Res playback.

geowak

You could add cd to dac AND ipod/iphone streaming dock to dac AND computer based audio to dac. I do all three of these.

artk

For me there is just no reason to do that (own a DAC). Never owned an "I" anything. I had a well regarded DAC for a bit but never found a use for it. My CD player sounded better without and I don't collect songs on anything (never will, albums or bust for me) so just sold the DAC and haven't missed it a bit. Hi Res audio with dedicated streamer/players hold out hope to add to my library without having to do anything (such as rip) to my current collection. I want to add to my collection and open the door to different and better ways to enjoy my music without closing the door on my present solutions. My reason for waiting, is to buy in to a new way of listening and/or collecting once, not over and over. I'm 53 and look forward to better music formats but also have lived long enough to see CD technology ripen to new and wonderful levels of playback.

coke

When I care about the quality of sound:
-External hard drive with lossless files and a netbook running squeezebox server
-Logitech Squeezebox connected via wifi
-Eastern Electric DAC
This is all controlled with my cell phone

When I don't care about the quality of sound:
-Pandora on my cell phone
-Headphone jack to analog input of a receiver.

At work:
-160GB Ipod
-Nuforce Icon Ido

KevinCorr

Hi, I am new here. I love my Orton!

I listen to CD, vinyl and FM. Someday I will get around to streaming.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Thank you guys,

It seems there are so many ways to skin this cat so to speak. I take your point Art in waiting for the dust to settle. I am wondering, though, if it ever will. It would  of course be easier for us if it did.

My gut (not my heart) tells me the days of removable media are numbered. Though I think the ownership issues of digital media need to be clarified and fast.

I think we are only scratching the surface of this debate so far.

Haider

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
The poll only allows a vote for one. I listen in multiple ways. LP for absolute best sound, focused listening.. iTunes/Wavelength Crimson DAC for excellent sound and convenient no hassle secondary listening, CD's sometimes.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Hi Thanks.

Sorry I thought I had loosened the Poll. Technical glitch. Let me get my tool kit and have a look.

Haider

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
Hi Thanks.

Sorry I thought I had loosened the Poll. Technical glitch. Let me get my tool kit and have a look.

Haider
Just added my multiple vote- it worked.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Excellent and thank you very much.

So when you listen to your iTunes do you simply plug your PC/laptop into the DAC and through your hifi?

Haider

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
Excellent and thank you very much.

So when you listen to your iTunes do you simply plug your PC/laptop into the DAC and through your hifi?

Haider
Yes, it is a dedicated MacBook with external HD (300GB of music) and a quality USB cable to the DAC, then Teo liquid IC's to the preamp. Very satisfactory, even though my analogue source (SME 20/2 table, SME V arm, Dynavector XV-1s cart) is superb, and beats everything else..
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013, 02:35 am by MtnHam »

toocool4

I use Vinyl, Tape and FM tuner.

soundbitten1

Mainly cds, sometimes computer & dac or ipod.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Tuner while the tubes warm up and when there's a good program on during the weekends
Vinyl when everything is warmed up
CD when I'm walking around doing something else
Tape when I use headphones.

Guy 13

Tuner while the tubes warm up and when there's a good program on during the weekends
Vinyl when everything is warmed up
CD when I'm walking around doing something else
Tape when I use headphones.
Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.
So many different sources you have:
FM, CD, vinyl and cassette.
I just hope all those will continue or should I say:
Survive all the audio changes.
After 30 years of loyal service my Nakamichi BX-100 is now dead and not repairable,
after a short look on Amazon,
I saw many different makes of cassette deck at prices around 200 $
I might (If budget permit) buy one, maybe a TEAC.
I have so many C90 cassettes (Sony - TDK) that it would be a shame
to let them gather dust some corner of the house.
Just wanted to share, sorry if I drifted away from the original post.

Guy 13
By the way, one thing that I miss a lot is all the good FM stations from Montreal,
especially the classical 24/7/365.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Wow! Thanks guys for sharing that. Cassette is clearly still very alive. I am glad haven't dumped my 3 head Technics deck which is proudly sitting in the middle of my Dads stack system. I might bring it back home sometime and introduce it to the kids. We are moving house and we have been discussing the huge boxes of tapes we still have under the stairs. Also my couple of hundred fourtrack recording tapes and 'Metal' tape 'Masters' courtesy of Fostex from the days when I used to force my parents to turn the TV up loud just so they could hear it. Something i am expecting our children to pay me back for sometime.

So you FM listeners, how do you find the quality of internet radio? Does any of it cut the mustard for you?

Haider

Guy 13

Wow! Thanks guys for sharing that. Cassette is clearly still very alive. I am glad haven't dumped my 3 head Technics deck which is proudly sitting in the middle of my Dads stack system. I might bring it back home sometime and introduce it to the kids. We are moving house and we have been discussing the huge boxes of tapes we still have under the stairs. Also my couple of hundred fourtrack recording tapes and 'Metal' tape 'Masters' courtesy of Fostex from the days when I used to force my parents to turn the TV up loud just so they could hear it. Something i am expecting our children to pay me back for sometime.

So you FM listeners, how do you find the quality of internet radio? Does any of it cut the mustard for you?

Haider
Hi Haider and all Audio Circle members.
Beleive me or not, when I was in Montreal, Canada
I've listen to classical music on FM as back ground music all night long.
Therefore qulality was not a priority, however,
when listening seriously to the FM
I can say quality was quite good, however,
I did not use my best stereo system.
Here in Vietnam FM is useless.
Even with a good antenna, reception is not good
and the quality of the sound is terrible,
too much bass and you cannot find a FM station that plays good music
for more than 30 minutes,
they keep switching from traditional Vietnamese to pop to talk show
and rarely classical.
I wish I was back in my civilised home country Canada.

Guy 13

toocool4

Haider

Cassette is still very much alive, i will never part with my Nakamichi CR7. I It goes in evey 2 years or so for a full service. I have a stockpile of TDK MA-XG 90's, SA 90's and other good quality metal and chrome tapes which are unopened.

While i am out and about i use a combination of Sony D6C, DC2 and DD9. :thumb:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Music lovers like moi began collecting a very long time ago.  LP's and CD's continue to capture, er, enrapture me.  I even like the fuss it involves.  I am a romantic, I suppose.  Besides that, I have some music that isn't available otherwise.  For every CD I have, I have 10 or more LP's :dunno:.

I'm with Jim here although my LP to Cd ratio is 3:1. Cleaning and getting up to flip an LP is alright with me.  :D

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
In our house it takes just as long to find a remote control as it does to walk up to the unit and switch it on. So i never saw why lifting a needle onto a record was such of a hassle for some. I mean considering the pleasure that follows surely it is worth the small effort. My three year old finds it exciting just to get her little step(as she cant quite reach) and walk upto the hifi and turn up the volume. To her it's an event or even a journey filled with thrill in anticipation. There is no App that can do that.

Haider