Time Sensitive- Competition for Bose Wave Radio

saisunil

Re: Time Sensitive- Competition for Bose Wave Radio
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:27 am »
If he has an ipod/iphone them B&W Zepplin ($600) or Mini ($300)

mp9

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:31 am »
Just get the Bose.
We got one for our kitchen as a x-mass present three years ago. It's nice enough that i never bothered with a tuner for my stereo system. Why waste expensive triode tubes on radio stations, after all if i hear something i like on the radio i'm likely to buy it. 
I once propped it up between my hi-fi speakers using doubles of the same cd to a-b compare with a spl meter for = (medium level) volume. Obviously didn't expect the same performance but it really wasn't bad for what it is. I don't think they change much so it'll be current for some time to come.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:36 am »
Just get the Yamaha.

Why pay almost twice as much for the Bose?  Plus, the Yamaha adds iPod and USB memory stick playback.

Steve

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:53 am »
I'll recommend the Yamaha. Thanks everyone for your help!

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:25 pm »
This is tougher than it looks at first glance. While the Bose is very expensive, and lacks true audiophile "cred", it does what it is supposed to do pretty well. I would take the Bose over any of the all in one units on this thread.

A couple of my friends have the Bose pictured in this thread and I'm always surprised at how decent they sound. Maybe my expectations are low because of the name but IMO the Bose is the best sounding compact all in one players.  Certainly not audiophile approved, expensive and a bit boomy, but they are compact and decent sounding.

This is coming from a guy who wants to hate Bose and still makes fun of my friends who own the brand. Also, they have really good resale value if you decide to dump it on eBay.

I officially hate myself for the above comments but for background music, those little Bose players are hard to beat.

I bought a Mirage omnivibe a couple years ago and it sounded great until the smell of burning plastic filled my office. Then it didn't sound so good.

Cheers

J

srb

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:40 pm »
I know someone who has both the $500 Bose Wave Radio and the $1295 Bose Wave Stereo, and have had a chance to spend a little time with them.  I thought both had rather unimpressive sound for the price.

While I haven't heard the Yamaha piece that was mentioned, I currently own 4 Yamaha products, have owned a total of 9, and have found they all provided pretty good quality and value.

If the Bose were about half the price, it might change my evaluation.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:43 pm »
I know someone who has both the $500 Bose Wave Radio and the $1295 Bose Wave Stereo, and have had a chance to spend a little time with them.  I thought both had rather unimpressive sound for the price.

While I haven't heard the Yamaha piece that was mentioned, I currently own 4 Yamaha products, have owned a total of 9, and have found they all provided pretty good quality and value.

If the Bose were about half the price, it might change my evaluation.

Steve

Steve, I agree the Bose stuff is overpriced.  I like the compact size of the Wave Radio and the resale is very good.  I am not impressed with the sound of any compact system but to my ears, the Bose is not bad.  The little Mirage sounded very good but has no FM and was unreliable. 

srb

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:51 pm »
Steve, I agree the Bose stuff is overpriced.  I like the compact size of the Wave Radio and the resale is very good.  I am not impressed with the sound of any compact system but to my ears, the Bose is not bad.

Like all audio equipment, I would really only know which I liked better if I had them both in my home to compare sound, features and usability.  Beyond the price, the Yamaha's iPod dock and USB memory stick capabilities definitely swayed my audition-less vote.

Steve

mhconley

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:58 pm »
Cambridge Audio One+ system

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=536&Title=Summary

or

Teac Reference receiver plus your favorite speakers

http://www.teac.com/consumer_electronics/reference_series/cr-h238i/

or a NAD Compact plus speakers

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers/C-715-Compact-Music-Systems

or a Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo mini/micro system.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductLanding.aspx?CatId=a024bd86-e75a-4961-b8d4-14ff35f793d8

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-systems/

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Audiosys

I'd LOVE to replace our Bose Wave Radio with a better sounding mini-system but find each and every one lacks one very important feature - an alarm clock with dual alarms.  The Bose is in our bedroom and we use it to wake up.  Dual alarms that will play radio or CD are a must - no blaring buzzer thank-you.  Even the Tivoli clock radio has a battery powered clock with a single beeper type alarm.  I'd also prefer one not equipped with the now ubiquitous Ipod dock.  I do not nor will I ever own an Ipod and I cannot see spending money for something designed as an Ipod dock.

The Teac, NAD and Denon minis's look nice - now if only the designers would spend 50¢ and include a clock with alarm functionality.

Martin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2010, 02:43 pm »
Anyone who is interested in the Bose or similar type of system isn't too obsessed with sound quality.  If it sounds good enough to their ear and they think it's worth it, so be it.  It's really a compulsive matter of importance for audio junkies to advise them otherwise, but it's hardly doing them a favor IMO.

ken

« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:34 pm »
The NAD looks pretty interesting, avaiable at Audioadvisor

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1NAC715

sts9fan

« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:38 pm »
Just because it does not say Bose does not mean it will be better.  None of these will be that great. Plus the dude will probably like the Bose better as a gift. 

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #32 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:41 pm »

My advice, make the boss happy. Let her know she made the right decision and your checking for her confirmed it.

Better that you not bear the brunt of turning her on to a possibly better item, yet it not being appreciated. Mark my words, you will be (likely) blamed, should things not go swimmingly.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:06 pm »
My advice, make the boss happy. Let her know she made the right decision and your checking for her confirmed it.

Better that you not bear the brunt of turning her on to a possibly better item, yet it not being appreciated. Mark my words, you will be (likely) blamed, should things not go swimmingly.

Ah, the play it safe, suck up attitude that helped America crumble in the past 50 years.  (Not trying to slam you David, really.  Your advice is probably the smartest here because frankly she and her hubby probably don't care about sound quality.)

jackman

« Reply #34 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:40 pm »
I know some non-audiophile friends who actually think Bose sounds good.  They don't understand how we can spend so much time setting up a system, and they mainy listen to low-bit MP3's.  I've given up trying to convince them otherwise. 

For these types, Bose might be a good chioce.  Their products seem to be produced just for this segment.  The little Wave radio is compact and easy to use, and I think it sounds better than the other similar products I've tried.  None of them sound good to me but they are used for background noise, not critical listening. 

davidrs

« Reply #35 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:26 pm »
Ah, the play it safe, suck up attitude that helped America crumble in the past 50 years.  (Not trying to slam you David, really.  Your advice is probably the smartest here because frankly she and her hubby probably don't care about sound quality.)

The probability of Konut achieving a successful outcome is exponentially low.

He is trying to satisfy someone who is trying to satisfy someone, both of whom are not audio types. Factor in a work-personal life variable as well as a holiday variable (both negatives or fractions due to the higher risks involved) and a wife trying to game her hubby on a techie gift,  etc. etc.

and this is not a bet worth taking.

Since it is, after all, the Holiday Season, I will be wishfully hopeful for Konut, though I would have doubled down on the Bose and waited patiently for the bump in the year end bonus my play would likely have garnered!
 :D

charmerci

« Reply #36 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:39 pm »
The probability of Konut achieving a successful outcome is exponentially low.

I don't know - the Yamaha looked really cool (choice of colors!!!! :lol:) Plus, all their friends probably have Wave Radios already so they'd be the first one on the block to have one. 8)

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."

davidrs

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:23 pm »

Fraught with Peril
Konut's Path
Will be.

Look down
on Yamaha
Bose'tfull
Will they!

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #39 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:17 am »
 LOL! davidrs, I appreciate you looking out for my best interests but I have always been a rebel. I am not anti-Bose, as I'm not ashamed to admit I've owned Bose equipment in the past. I do consider it HIGHLY over priced. My Boss knows I'm the inveterate shopper as well as audio snob and would not make a recommendation lightly. I was prepared to tell her the Bose appeared to be the only reliable choice untill I checked in this morning and got the link to the Yamaha. I've owned Yamaha in the past and consider it to be well engineered, reliable, and no-nonsence consumer freindly gear. The reviews were good, the functionality more than adequate, and the price reasonable. It was an easy recommendation.
    As for my job, I'm the go to guy, pretty much the only employee she doesn't have to watch constantly so as to make sure I'm not screwing up or off. No worries there.