Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

SGK

Dan, will a 230V version of the LPSU be available?

Airfla

Hi Dan:

Congratulations on the launch of the 105 mod.

Will the 105 play DSD files in the new protocol from a computer hard drive connected via USB? I know that J River supports DSD.

germay0653

Hi Dan,

You had some ideas for a 103 mod. Has anyone expressed interest in a 103 Mod?  If yes, what would the approximate cost be?

modwright

I am still working on a mod for the 103.  Price for mods will start at $500.

Upgrade IEC to Furutech.
Upgrade op-amps and ideally eliminate output coupling caps.
Damping of chassis and drive.
Upgrade stock power supply.

OR

Replace SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply) with LPS (Linear Power Supply) of our own design.

I am still working on the LPS and have just about finished it.  Initial design underestimated current demands, so I have had to approach the design from a different angle.  Parts will be in hand after the Christmas Holiday.

Thanks,

Dan W.

talk2me

Hopefully (finger crossed and looking for 4 leaf clover) the LPS of the 103 will fit inside the 105!

germay0653

Regarding the mod for the 103, what Furutech inlet will be offered (FI-09 or FI-10, Gold or Rhodium) and what op-amp (Burson)?

You indicated the 4 option upgrade (IEC inlet, op-amps, damping and upgrade to stock PS) OR the LPS.  Which would provide more benefit?  I'm most concerned with audio performance as the video is already satisfying to me.

Jeffy

Dan are you going to have the Bybee rails available for the tubed Oppo 105 and if so when and how much?

talk2me

Dan are you going to have the Bybee rails available for the tubed Oppo 105 and if so when and how much?

A guy I can appreciate! :thumb:

modwright

Hi, we do offer a single Bybee rail installed in the critical DAC voltage supply for the stereo DAC.  Cost add = $225.  NICE IMPROVEMENT!  Cleaning up power to DAC lowers jitter levels and further reduces jitter-induced digital edge/glare.

Thanks!

Dan

talk2me

Hi. Any updates?

modwright

Bybee rails successfully installed in 105 for both 2CH and MCH applications with great success.

LPS design finalized - i.e. schematic tested as working.  Final PCB layout underway.

I have confirmed that dimensions of (2) > 50VA power transformers for LPS - one for digital, one for analog, will fit dimensionally in both 105 and 103.

Tube mods are going out the door every week and once the LPS supply design is complete, the other upgrades to the 103 are already in mind and will be evaluated separately, in addition to LPS.

I may implement them first, with just SMPS in place and then evaluate additional improvement of LPS with other upgrades.

Pricing and results to follow.

Thanks guys!

Dan

talk2me

Hi Dan, thanks for updates. Just a passing thought, could you build a Modwright labeled "cost almost no object" Oppo based player? I mean  your own chassis with no constraints? Similar to what Theta or Arye has done?

modwright

Hi, it could be done, but the cost would be HIGH! To be honest, it makes more sense to modify the players as we do and offer the SAME level of performance at a significant cost savings.  There is a reason that Ayre charges $10K for their Blu-Ray player, based on an earlier Oppo model.  Granted, they redesigned the power supply and much of the player, including the enclosure of course.  Other companies have take these units and made little changes other than to dress them in their own chassis and charge a LOT for them.  I don't believe in that model.

The only justification I could see for doing that, would be if it gave us more leeway to design a BETTER sounding product.  I honestly don't believe that to be the case.  As a result, I plan to make the stock units as GOOD as they can be, in their own enclosures, with our modifications.

Thanks!

Dan

Phil A

I agree that Dan's approach makes much more sense.  By the time you get back a newly designed enclosure and work on all the changes, the model is probably much closer to being replaced by a new one that just modding it.  The $10k Ayre I believe is now based on an old model.

dminches

Dan, have you advanced your plans for offering a power supply upgrade to us MW BDP-95 owners?

And thanks for taking the time to hang out with us mortals on the board.  We really appreciate it.

modwright

Hi, the LPS that I am working on, will be compatible with the BDP 93 and BDP 95.  The new tube supply is ALSO compatible with the BDP 95 tube mods as well as our other Sony tube mods.

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

Thanks Dan.  I was referring to the tube mod PS which you said could be upgraded, including allowing for taller tubes.

SlushPuppy

Dan, have you tried connecting the BDP-105 directly into a power amplifier using the Oppo's digital volume control? I've read good and bad things about this and would like to hear your thoughts. The Oppo would be my only source, so eliminating a preamp and putting extra money into a new amp would be a big plus.

Thanks for your time.

modwright

I have and results are not good.  I would recommend using a preamp.

Thanks,

Dan

SlushPuppy

I have and results are not good.  I would recommend using a preamp.

Thanks,

Dan

Good to know. Thanks!