How to remove adhesive backed Tenderfoot?

scolley

How to remove adhesive backed Tenderfoot?
« on: 20 Sep 2014, 02:07 pm »
I placed a set of four Tendertoots (would that be Tenderfeet?) under a really nice maple block yesterday. Unfortunately it had really negative sonic effect, and I'd like to remove them. The block cost more than the feet, so while I'd like to keep the feet unharmed (if possible), if something has got to be messed up in the removal process, I'd greatly prefer it to be the feet.

Any advice on getting them off without harming the maple block?

Thanks in advance.  :)

scolley

Re: How to remove adhesive backed Tenderfoot?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2014, 06:08 pm »
Got tired of waiting for my post to be approved by a moderator so people could see it. So I gently peeled the Tenderfoots off. They came off easily - but not off the maple block. They separated from the Grungebuster Dots, which remained firmly adhered to the maple.

So, anyone know how to get adhesive backed Grungbuster Dots off a maple block?

Thanks.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:08 pm »
Hi, scolley. Depending on the surface finish of the maple, you should be able to remove the thin grungebuster Dots with a little patience and diligence. Just try peeling back an edge with a fingernail and then pulling the Dot off slowly in a rolling motion. A cotton swab with denatured or isopropyl alcohol along the working edge will help. The Dots are pretty strong so are not likely to tear or anything and the side that was attached to the Tenderfoot can be re-attached so you can audition the Tenderfoot isolation feet under some of your components. (You can place the Dots back on the Tenderfeet reversed also for a mild, non-aggressive bond.)

This is the first time we've encountered this particular question; there's scarcely any reason why Tenderfeet would be adhered to the bottom of a maple block or platform. Tenderfeet work ideally free-standing; they get a good friction grip on whatever material they're in contact with. They won't slide on the shelf and the maple block won't slide on the Tenderfeet.

We don't recommend Tenderfeet be used under a maple block anyway--they're best suited as an isolation interface between the maple block and component. Regular grungebuster Dots (without adhesive) are recommended as a decoupling interface between maple block and shelf and have proven to be the ideal interface over and over again.

You might audition the maple block with the thin grungebuster Dots in place as a decoupling interface. Though thin, there's always a good chance they might be the perfect interface, blocking the transfer of micro-vibration between shelf and block, and vice-versa.

Though thin grungebuster Dots adhered to Tenderfeet are an integral part of the Tenderfoot design parameters, Tenderfeet will often perform superbly without the Dots. So, if the Dots work well as a decoupling interface between the maple block and shelf, you can still audition the Tenderfeet under some of your audio or video components. With just a quick call or email to Herbie's Audio Lab, we'll send replacement Dots (with or without pressure-sensitive adhesive) to you at no charge to place back on the Tenderfeet.

As a helpful tip with Tenderfeet and also with any other application of pressure-sensitive adhesive: to reduce the aggressiveness of the bond and make it more easily removeable, after removing the protective lining, press your finger a whole bunch of times onto the adhesive. Oils from your fingers and/or thumb will weaken the bond strength. Also, the longer a pressure-sensitive adhesive is adhered, the stronger the bond will be. (It's also always best to audition an adhesive-backed isolation product first to establish best positioning/placement before removing the liner and adhering.)

Good luck and best regards,

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

scolley

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:55 pm »
Steve - Thanks for the really, really detailed reply. But I don't think I need the info anymore. Here's why...

To begin, I didn't mention specifically "why" I wanted the Tenderfoot(s) off, because I was concerned it would lead too far away from the subject of how to get them off. But since you mentioned putting them under a maple block is not recommended, I'll elaborate.

I've got a low mass, rigid turntable on a wooden stand that I wanted to be both insulated from floor based vibration, and also from airborne. I thought a maple block, with Tenderfoot(s) between it and the stand would deal with the floor based vibration, and replacing the TT's stock, semi-soft, decoupling feet with rigid cones to allow vibration to "drain" to the maple, and would accomplish my goals. I bought the block, and got the Tenderfoot(s), but have not yet purchased the rigid cones. But I tested the maple block on Tenderfoot(s), on the stand, with the TT's stock de-coupling feet on top of the block. The result was some sort of crazy, low bass, feedback loop that made the TT unplayable, lest the cartridge go bouncing all over the LP. So, rather than testing again with my intended cones replacing the stock TT feet, I decided to remove the Tenderfoot(s) first. And the result has been excellent.

Since the Grungebusters remained on the maple block when I removed the Tenderfoot(s), I tried it. Now the setup is TT on stock, semi-soft decoupling feet, sitting on the maple block, with Grungebusters between the block and the wooded stand. And it is providing MUCH more isolation from floor based vibration than I expected. Much more than the TT just sitting on the stand (on the stock feet), and much more than the TT on the maple block on the stand. Inserting your Grungebusters between the stand and the maple block took out much more vibration than I expected. I'm honestly shocked that such a thin little layer can make so much of a difference.

AND I took the Tenderfoot(s), sans Grungebusters, and re-purposed them as replacement feet for my CD player.

So all's well that ends well.  :D

Thanks very much for the help! And please let me know if I can anwer any more questions.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:33 pm »
Hi, scolley. I'm glad everything's working out for you, and thanks for the additional info. Your initial idea seems to have been valid. With rigid cones between TT and maple block, Tenderfoot isolation feet under the maple block would most likely yield an excellent result and accomplish the goals you had intended.

With compliant Tenderfeet under the maple block, however, the turntable's stock semi-soft feet were essentially cushioned, thus unconstraining the turntable's feet, allowing them more freedom to resonate and reverberate to sonic detriment. This seems to be the result you first encountered.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2014, 11:55 pm by Herbie »