SYZYGY subs

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
SYZYGY subs
« on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:08 am »
Anyone heard or heard of these?

Link:http:  //syzygyacoustics.com/

4 subs; (1) 8"/200watt ported/$400; (3) sealed (8"/400 watt/$600, 10"/800 watts/$800, 12"/1000 watts/$1000), all are wireless (can connect multiple subs to the same transmitter); uses test tones and your smart phone to self-calibrate or manually adjust; all are rather compact. 

I like the test tone/self-calibrate, wireless, and smart phone app concepts.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: SYZYGY subs
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:18 am »
I haven't but I do know that Andrew Jones' ELAC line of subs do pretty much the same thing and they are designed by well...Andrew Jones. So unless the Syzygyacoustics subs have been independently measured by a 3rd party, I really don't know.

If Syzygyacoustics has a good return policy, then go for it. If not, ELAC is there. And I would go with multiples, of course. There is also very rich competition from SVS, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik, etc...but it depends on what price range you are looking at.

Best,
Anand.

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2017, 03:07 am »
SYZYGY 10" sub          ELAC 12" sub              Paul Egan (from SYZYGY) is no first timer either.

Bluetooth                    wired                         Advantage SYZYGY

Sealed                        passive radiator          Advantage SYZYGY

24-200 Hz                   25-150 Hz                  Advantage SYZYGY

12.5" cube                  17" cube                     Big advantage (in my smallish room, especially for multiple subs) SYZYGY

28 pounds                   49 pounds                  Advantage SYZYGY

$800                           $700                          Advantage ELAC

Yes, Rythmik and perhaps SVS are my other choices and would be cheaper, but not wireless, and lack automatic setup.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2017, 11:24 am by JLM »

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:46 am »
JLM,

I don't think you can equivocally state that one sub has a performance advantage over another based on the low frequency alignment (sealed, ported/bass reflex, passive radiator, etc...). Besides, passive radiators are quieter than ports to the point that a well designed one is hard to distinguish versus sealed. And also, once you use MULTIPLES of subs, the low frequency alignment for music use, ceases to be an issue, the human ear cannot tell imho. The exception is for those who listen to large amounts of classical music whereby which a cardioid bass alignment and/or dipole may provide some advantages in spatialization.

Here's more on bass myths that most audiophiles who I've spoken to are confused about:

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=knowhow&type=1

All that being said I looked up who the designer of the Syzygy subs are, and Paul Egan is a veteran of KEF which holds great promise. If their program can accommodate multiples of subs then give it a try and let us know. It's just a 12.5 inch cube!

Best,
Anand.

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:19 pm »
Anand,

It's been 37 years, but I built a pair of transmission line (TL) woofer cabinets from a I. M. Fried kit.  Now that was impressively powerful/musical bass (rated to 114 dB at 17 Hz) and not even called a sub.  Had a private recipe for DIY subs, but the driver is no longer available.   :(

What I like about the automatic setup is that I have two pair of speakers in my main system.  One does more bass, the other is provides a change of pace and what the sub(s) would primarily used for, so need to switch back and forth on sub settings.

Yes, passive radiator is better than ported but would love to find a more compact/high quality TL sub.  Unfortunately don't have a table saw, so would have to pay Home Depot to make all the straight cuts.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:06 pm »
JLM,

Thanks for trip down memory lane!

Unfortunately I don't think that "TL sub", "high efficiency in bass" and "compact" can fit in the same sentence!

:green:

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2017, 05:33 pm »

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:52 pm »
Anand,

Yeah, I know TL, deep, and compact don't go together.  But a guy's gotta dream, right?

Those JL's look sweet, but you're right, they're a bit pricer, especially if buying multiples (still intrigued by the swarm concept).

And since my everyday speakers go under 30 Hz, adding one or more subs is a low priority.

But the concepts used in the SYZYGY subs interest me.  Seems that increasingly subs are going the wireless/automatic setup route.  Absolute Sound and Tone Audio both like them.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:03 am »
Those JL's look sweet, but you're right, they're a bit pricer, especially if buying multiples (still intrigued by the swarm concept).

Also keep in mind that the JL Audio Dominion will need the optional $200 JLINK TRX transmitter/receiver package to go wireless + $100 for each extra receiver if you're "swarming".

Using the JLINK RJ45 connection with the Dominion subwoofer combines audio and power connections with one cable, so you won't need to separately power the external receiver with the AC adapter.

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:29 am »
[size=0px]Absolute Sound and Tone Audio both like them.[/size]
That doesn't mean squat! 

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:51 am »
That doesn't mean squat!

Do I sense a bit of animosity regarding Tone Audio?  Care to explain?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2017, 01:20 am »
Do I sense a bit of animosity regarding Tone Audio?  Care to explain?
I miss quoted it but did correct it.  It's both of them.  Do you really think either of them are an unbiased opinion?   :lol:

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2017, 01:23 am »
No, but we must start somewhere, right?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2017, 01:24 am »
No, but we must start somewhere, right?
Sure.  Use the mags and online stuff to learn about it but that's it.  I'd never purchase based on one of their reviews.  Ever. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2017, 01:08 pm »
JLM & others,

Here is another thing I thought of this weekend.

If a swarm of these SYZYGY subs are being used and if we are implementing the automatic EQ features, etc...bear in mind that the degree of EQ is going to change depending on the subwoofer location. One should move the subs around such that a minimal amount of EQ is employed so as to not engage any limiters in the sub at nearly any SPL that you care to listen to. I for one, have extremely strict and crazy requirements. Others, not so much. I don't know if the program that is intrinsic to the plate amplifiers that these subs have safeguard against that but I do know that they cannot possibly tell you where to place the sub(s) for a minimal amount of EQ (In other words, they cannot prognosticate subwoofer location). That only comes with real measurements in room with REW...and advice from those who have done research into multisub placement in symmetric (Floyd/Devantier/Olive) and assymmetric (Geddes) rooms.

That being said, the area between 100-300 Hz has more to do with how your mains are interacting with your room, so make sure you measure them and either use treatments or move the mains around to improve that region.

The modal region from 40-150Hz is where multiples of these subs will work best. If you can actually manually override certain settings on the subs, that will help as well, especially if you find that 1 or more of the subs has excessive EQ applied. I don't know if the program in the Syzygy subs allows you to do that. It's an important question to ask.

For me, there is no free lunch. I would still measure the system with REW to make sure the in room response (without smoothing) is as flat as possible and then also have a way to individually check that each sub used is not being abused in any way.

My recommendation is a minimum of 3 subs. 4 is ideal as placement becomes much less of a concern, AND, the amount of EQ on any one sub will decrease as well. Try not to bunch the subs together, as they will act as one sub with just more SPL capability. Also the area below 40 Hz or so is much less important for music production although not unimportant.

If this proves to be too expensive or onerous, my advice is to DIY or to contact Duke Lejeune and just have him build you a SWARM set and be done. But you will have to deal with a wired system. Decisions, decisions.

https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

Best,

Anand.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2017, 01:23 pm »
One of the few things I've seen about them is here (other than that I've not seen much) - http://www.cepro.com/article/review_syzygy_slf850_subwoofer_sound_quality_calibration

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:29 pm »
I just want to know how to pronounce that name

srb

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:45 pm »

syz·y·gy
sizijē

noun - Astronomy

a conjunction or opposition, especially of the moon with the sun.
   "the planets were aligned in syzygy"

a pair of connected or corresponding things.
   "animus and anima represent a supreme pair of opposites, the syzygy"

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:46 pm »

It’s pronounced siz-a-gee, and it means “a pair of connected or corresponding things."

Best,
Anand.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2017, 06:36 pm »
Ok, as long as it doesn't disappear if you say that backwards.

Personally, at $1k for the 12, for roughly the same, I'd rather have 2 Rythmik L12s. 2 sources will result in better smoother bass over a wider area than one, even with "auto" EQ, which will be largely single point. Another $100 gets one a miniDSP if any EQ is needed. Wireless for subs is around $50 if a must.
My 2c