Soundkeeper Recordings - upcoming release to include high res versions

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi everyone,

Like many folks here, I enjoy all sorts of music. A little over a year ago, a friend asked me if I’d heard of Markus Schwartz, a percussionist who has studied the music of Haiti and plays Haitian Jazz and “Mizik Rasin” (roots music).

The name was new to me, so I got a copy of Markus’ CD “Tanbou nan Lakou Brooklyn” and immediately became a fan. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markusschwartz

I found his music soul stirring, with its organic rhythms and beautiful melodies. Not long after getting the album, I went to see his Lakou Brooklyn Quartet play live at a local club and knew I wanted to record this band for Soundkeeper Recordings.

Here is a YouTube playlist containing a series of three videos, taken the night I saw them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e49j9oCVGg&feature=PlayList&p=AAB6954F847258F4&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

Aside from all the great music here, check out Markus’ solo at about 3:00 into the excerpt from “Caravan”. His motions seem almost unreal as he is immersed in the music and clearly blissed in the moment. The audience knew this too – and obviously felt it; you can hear the response.

In between sets, I spoke with Markus and the players in his band. We discussed the idea of recording the band “live”, that is, outside of the studio, in a nice performance space, playing in real time, without overdubs; the typical Soundkeeper approach. Markus and his fellow players all expressed interest in the idea and after months of back and forth, exchanging ideas, last month, we did the recording sessions.

Recorded in a beautiful auditorium built in 1908, the music was captured in stereo, at 24/192 (high resolution) and as always, the dynamics of the performance were left fully intact. Unlike the common practice today, there was no compression and no regard for level. The goal was to capture the sound of the band as they would be heard by a listener present at the performance.

I've recently completed mastering the album. Once we’ve got the liner notes and cover artwork, it will be released on CD as well as in high resolution files-on-disc formats for use with computer music servers.  The files-on-disc formats will be 24/192 or 24/96 (for folks whose DAC only goes up to 96k), in either .aif or .wav format.  Sample rate and file format, customer's choice at order time.  We anticipate release in September.

At this time, we have no plans to offer downloads and no plans to offer file formats other than .aif and .wav.  (The format for the original recordings and mastering is .aif.)

To keep apprised on the release, please subscribe to Soundkeeper email updates:
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/subscribe.htm

Meanwhile, check out Markus’ music in the videos and the “Tanbou nan Lakou Brooklyn” CD.

I hope you enjoy this music as much as I do.

Best regards,
Barry
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi all,

There are new pages up on the Soundkeeper website for the new release, "Equinox" by Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn:
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

There is some information about the album, photos from the recording session and of course, samples to hear.

We're planning a release party at Iridium, the jazz club in mid-town Manhattan, for Friday, September 3 at midnight.  Hoping some readers and listeners are able to make it there to say "Hello" in person and to enjoy the band playing live.

For news on the coming release, please subscribe to Soundkeeper email updates:
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/subscribe.htm

Best regards,
Barry
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi all,

In my last post, I mentioned the CD release party at Iridium for Friday, September 3rd at midnight. (I realize some may show up at the end of Thursday night...or very early on Saturday morning - midnight on New Year's Eve being the start of January 1  )

So, just to clarify, let's call it Friday, September 3rd at 11:59 pm.

It will be held at Iridium Jazz Club (www.iridiumjazzclub.com)
1650 Broadway, near 51st Street
212-582-2121
CD Release Party & Live Performance.
CD Signing, Special Guest appearances and more!

Featuring:
Markus Schwartz (Haitian Drums/percussion)
Monvelyno Alexis (guitar)
Paul Beaudry (bass)
Jean Caze (trumpet/flugelhorn)

I hope some folks here will be able to make it, for the music and so we can meet face to face.

Best regards,
Barry

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Barry, Very nice!!  Even the MP3 samples sound great.

Question:  On most of the samples the horn is coming from the left-to-left-center soundstage, yet the pictures show the Jean on right side of stage.  Did they rearrange their stage position for many of the songs?

mjosef

SOunds interesting...hope you post a reminder closer to the scheduled date, I may just stop in to check out the live performance and maybe purchase the cd.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi all,

Here are the details for the “Equinox” release party:

The place:           IridiumJazz Club ( www.iridiumjazzclub.com)
                         1650Broadway,  near 51st street

The date:            Friday,September 3rd

The time:            11:59 pm

Cover charge:      $20

Admission will be $10 for our guests who RSVP using the“Release Party RSVP” link
on the Soundkeeper home page ( www.soundkeeperrecordings.com)

Be sure to enter“Release Party RSVP” in the Subject line
of the messagethat appears when you click on the link.
Put your name inthe message.
Your name will beat the door, on the $10 entry list.

Markus Schwartz& Lakou Brooklyn will be playing live.
They’ll besigning CDs and we’re expecting some special guests.

(CD-R, 24/96DVD-R and high res files-on-disc DVD-R versions
will be availablefrom the Soundkeeper web site as of the next day.)

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi ted_b

Barry, Very nice!!  Even the MP3 samples sound great.

Question:  On most of the samples the horn is coming from the left-to-left-center soundstage, yet the pictures show the Jean on right side of stage.  Did they rearrange their stage position for many of the songs?

Thanks very much for your kind feedback. 
There are some .wav samples (16/44, 24/96 and 24/192) of the first track on the "Format Comparison" page  www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/format.htm

Some of the photos were taken while the band moved around the stage between takes.  They were in the same position for all of the recording.
Note some photos say "Players in recording position".  Only those show the places they stood during the takes.

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi mjosef,

SOunds interesting...hope you post a reminder closer to the scheduled date, I may just stop in to check out the live performance and maybe purchase the cd.

Thank you.  I'll do my best to do this.

Meanwhile, there are some more details two posts up from this one (in Reply #5 above).

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Just a reminder:

The new Soundkeeper Recordings release, "Equinox" by Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn is one week away, on Friday, September 3.

That night, the release party at Iridium in NYC. 
If you can, please join us to celebrate!

Best regards,
Barry

Hi all,

Here are the details for the “Equinox” release party:

The place:           IridiumJazz Club ( www.iridiumjazzclub.com)
                         1650Broadway,  near 51st street

The date:            Friday,September 3rd

The time:            11:59 pm

Cover charge:      $20

Admission will be $10 for our guests who RSVP using the“Release Party RSVP” link
on the Soundkeeper home page ( www.soundkeeperrecordings.com)

Be sure to enter“Release Party RSVP” in the Subject line
of the messagethat appears when you click on the link.
Put your name inthe message.
Your name will beat the door, on the $10 entry list.

Markus Schwartz& Lakou Brooklyn will be playing live.
They’ll besigning CDs and we’re expecting some special guests.

(CD-R, 24/96DVD-R and high res files-on-disc DVD-R versions
will be availablefrom the Soundkeeper web site as of the next day.)

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
It's here!
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:11 pm »
Hello friends,

I'm very happy to announce today is the release date for the new Soundkeeper Recordings release, "Equinox" by Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn.

It is available on CD as well as six custom burned formats, all the way up to 24/192 high resolution files-on-disc.
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/equinox.htm

Our previous release, "Lift" by Work of Art, is now also available in 24/96 files-on-disc format.
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/lift.htm

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
"Equinox" release party was a blast!
« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2010, 08:11 pm »
The "Equinox" release party was a blast.
Great crowd and the band was hot!

They autographed CDs and played 'til the wee hours.

Photos of the band and guest artists:
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/equinoxiridium.htm

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
"Equinox" Release Party, Part 2!
« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2010, 07:22 pm »
Hello friends,

The "Equinox" release party at Iridium was so much fun, we're going to have a "Part 2".

If you missed the fun at Iridium, here's another chance.  If you were there and need another shot of Lakou Brooklyn, you will be served!

Please see www.soundkeeperrecordings.com for more information.

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Re: "Equinox" Release Party, Part 2!
« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2010, 02:50 pm »
Just a reminder.
Release party, part 2 is this Saturday, September 18.

It would be great to meet some fellow Circle members in person.

Best regards,
Barry

Hello friends,

The "Equinox" release party at Iridium was so much fun, we're going to have a "Part 2".

If you missed the fun at Iridium, here's another chance.  If you were there and need another shot of Lakou Brooklyn, you will be served!

Please see www.soundkeeperrecordings.com for more information.

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Re: Soundkeeper Recordings - ask the artist
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2010, 08:36 pm »
Another great show at last night’s “Release Party, Part 2” from Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn. 

Like the pros they are, rather than simply play the tracks from the album as they were recorded, the band stretched out a bit, taking these renditions a bit “outside”, exploring their possibilities and making them new again.

The second set included Markus’ and the band’s take on Duke Ellington’s “Caravan” and concluded with the title track from the new album, John Coltrane’s “Equinox”.

Ask the artist:

Next up, we’re planning a Soundkeeper Interview with Markus.
If you have any questions you’d like us to ask, please take this is opportunity to let us know.
Add them to this thread or send them to us via email at the Soundkeeper Web site.

Thanks to all who have purchased copies so far. 

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
A recent comment from Dr. Nick Catalano in his “Jazz International” column on allaboutjazz.com says of Markus and “Equinox”, “His knowledge of Haitian culture and expertise in its music make this session invaluable for international music enthusiasts.”

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=37707

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is staying cozy as the chilly Autumn evenings are upon us.

There is a new review of "Equinox" on KariJazz.com.
Writer Alphonse Piard says:

"...a milestone in the Kreyòl jazz endeavor..."

"...Produced and recorded (live) by Barry Diament of Soundkeeper Recordings with special recording techniques to reproduce live sound performance, the listener will appreciate a sound that gives the impression of being in the presence of the musicians playing..."

“...We enjoy Markus’ dynamic clarity that shows, one more time after Ti Roro, Bonga and many others, how this instrument when played properly can raise polyrhythmic music to advanced level of artistry...”

"...Another gem for Jazz aficionados and collectors… Highly recommended!..."

Read the review at
http://www.soukompa.com/11012010markus.html

Ask the artist

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we’re about to do a Soundkeeper Interview with Markus.  If you have any questions you’d like us to ask him, this is the last chance to let us know.  Please send them to us in this thread or via email at the Soundkeeper Web site and we’ll make sure to include them when we sit down to talk with Markus.

Thanks to all who have purchased copies so far.

Until next time,
Enjoy the coming holidays and Happy Listening!

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi all,

In my past few messages, I’ve mentioned our “Ask the Artist” request for any questions you might have wanted me to ask Markus in our interview. 

I want to say “Thank you” to those folks who sent in questions.  We received some very good ones and included them in the interview, which is now up on our Web site.
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/interviewms.htm

It was a fascinating conversation with Markus, who generously shared his time, his knowledge as well as his love of Haitian music and culture. We also talked a bit about his feelings about the Soundkeeper recording process and Equinox, the album that resulted from our recording sessions.

There’s another interview I’d like to tell you about.  This one of interest to the technologically oriented.

Over at The Womb, Paul Kavicky has posted an interview with Allen Rowand of Metric Halo.  Some of you may recognize Metric Halo as the makers of the hardware and software used to make Soundkeeper Recordings.

Allen talked about the work he does in live sound, also using Metric Halo’s products.
http://thewombforums.com/radio/NewRadios/mmrs/index.php

The music on the front and back of the interview is none other than “Dragon Boats” from the first Soundkeeper Recordings release, Work of Art’s Lift.

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
As 2010 comes to a close, I want to wish all our friends and supporters the happiest of new years.

This has been a great year for Soundkeeper, with the release of our long awaited second project, Markus Schwartz and Lakou Brooklyn's Equinox.  The album is being well received and I'm very glad more folks are becoming aware of the extraordinary musicianship of Markus Schwartz, his superb ensemble and their music.

New "Equinox" reviews

There has been a flurry of new reviews of Equinox from music, cultural as well as audio sources.

Here are some of the things folks are saying about this Markus Schwartz, Lakou Brooklyn and the album:

"...The musical traditions of Africa also permeate the rich, sinuous music of Haiti, and to explore this terrain we have a wonderful musical guide in percussionist extraordinaire, Markus Schwartz, and the trio "Lakou Brooklyn", on their recent release entitled "Equinox" [Soundkeeper Recordings].  It is always fun to keep an ear out for Soundkeeper Recordings’ Barry Diament, whose recording techniques always create a sound that is vibrant and fresh; natural in image dimensionality and rich in ambient details..."
Read the review on Stereo Times at http://www.stereotimes.com/MR121110.shtml

"...For me, not only does this method of recording result in a very accurate portrayal of the music and instruments, but it gives the music a sort of intimacy that I hardly ever notice with more processed recordings..."
"...Great recording, excellent performance, and fascinating music. Highly recommended..."
"...Another excellent recording from the hands and the mics of Mr. Barry Diament!..."
Read the review on TNT-Audio at
http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/equinox_e.html

"...It is one of the two best artistic works of the year in the Haitian community in New York..."
"...He [Markus] is conscious of the fundamental role of the drum in a musical piece and especially in the ancestral musical legacy that he is transmitting.  And he does not hesitate to break with the traditional linear rhythm in order to enrich its fabric..."
"...Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn's CD is an absolute must have."
Read the review from Haiti Liberte at
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/review002hl.htm

SR Interview: Markus Schwartz

A few weeks back, I had a great conversation with Markus to share with our readers.  Some of the questions I asked him were submitted by our friends and customers in response to an earlier Soundkeeper Recordings email update.

If you haven't seen it yet, you can read the interview at
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/interviewms.htm

Until next time,
Happy New Year!!
and Happy Listening!

Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hello friends,

Markus Schwartz and Lakou Brooklyn's Equinox is wrapping up 2010 with some more great reviews.

Here are some quotes and links:

Albanyjazz.com polled its contributors on their Top 5 Jazz Albums of 2010.
One of Rudy Lu’s choices was Equinox.
http://albanyjazz.com/topfive/2010-topfive-staff.html

"...The four musicians are very clearly placed on the audio soundstage, with plenty of "air" around them.  This disc should be a fine demo of your audio system’s abilities, from the deep bass frequencies of some of the drums to the extended high end of the trumpet and some other percussion..."
Read the review on Audiophile Audition at:
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=8268

"...The bourgeoning Haitian-Vodou Jazz movement is well served by releases like Equinox that have a distinct identity and a cosmopolitan edge.  The album is deeply rooted in Haiti’s native music and brings the genre’s standards to a new generation of listeners..."
"...No overdubbing and no multi-tracking were used for this album and a listener is made to feel a part of the entire experience.  Well done Markus!..."
Read the review from the Boston Haitian Reporter at:
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/review002bhr.pdf

See you in the New Year, with some more news from Soundkeeper.

Until next time,
Happy New Year!!
and Happy Listening!

Barry
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2010, 09:46 pm by bdiament »

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hello friends,

At Soundkeeper Recordings, 2011 is off to a great start.

Recording of the Month and reference disc...
It doesn't get any better than this!

"Equinox" as Reference

In the January 2011 issue of Stereophile, editor John Atkinson and reviewer Michael Fremer both used Equinox to evaluate equipment they were reviewing.

In his review of the dCS Debussy DAC (digital to analog converter), Michael said:
"...The hi-rez files of this tuneful, percussive music produced an enormous, airy space in which the instruments were clearly located and layered..."
"...In short, whatever preconceptions digiphobes might have about digital sound would be quickly erased by listening to these superb-sounding high-res files..."

And in the February issue of Stereophile, Equinox was selected as...

Recording of the Month

What a thrill it is to tell you this.
The Recording of the Month in the February Stereophile is none other than Equinox!

In his review, Robert Baird said:
"...Intent on finding that magic equilibrium between sound and content, Diament, a former Atlantic Records engineer, has hit a new high point for Soundkeeper with his immediate-sounding and musically compelling disc of explorations by drummer Markus Schwartz and his Lakou Brooklyn project..."
"...While the technical info is impressive, and the peerless sound is gloriously unaffected and real, the compelling and exotic blend of music on Equinox is equal to the technology–a balance of art and craft that all recordings, audiophile or not, should aspire to."

Thank you John, Michael, Robert and Stereophile!

Until next time,
Happy Listening!

Barry