Best Amp Pairings with Vandersteens?

arduous1

Best Amp Pairings with Vandersteens?
« on: 6 Jul 2015, 02:01 am »
So I've heard a lot of stuff, short list seems to include the following:
ARC (Audio Research)
Ayre
McCormack

Anything else that should be under consideration?  Please chime in with what you've tried and your thoughts.

I had the Vandy 1c's and took the plunge to get the Treos.  I have McCormack DNA-HT1 Rev.B currently and also have DNA-125 stock.

ard1

geowak

Re: Best Amp Pairings with Vandersteens?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2015, 04:40 am »
That's interesting I used to have a DNA-125 and it would push the 2CE Sig IIs fine, but I sold it and went with a Parasound A21 with great results. Love the combo. Also my dealer was pushing a Musical Fidelity M6 500i and it sounded very sweet with the Vandy's. Dual mono design on the MF. We also tried a Leben tube integrated to nice effect. I think the MF sounded better.

I would think, to get the best out of the Treos which are very nice speakers, you will need the best quality watts you can get.
I would be tempted to get a pair of Parasound JC1s. It's got the first 25 watts in class A.

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2015, 01:09 pm »
I have heard Vandersteens with ARC amps, Ayre amps and Cary amps.  They all sounded excellent.  From my experience you want to make sure that the amps aren't under powered.  I had another amp that sounded great but struggled to drive the 5As.

arduous1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2015, 12:29 am »
I like my McCormack's, in fact i'm considering getting the SMC Audio upgrade on the DNA-125.  Currently running RCA/unbalanced IC's.  Any thoughts as to the benefit or lack thereof switching to XLR/balanced IC's?  Anyone have experience with Steve McCormack's work?

Only way to know of true benefit i guess is to demo something else. 

Would i be safe in guessing that i'm in the ballpark of getting the most out of these speakers?  I knew that 1c's were the 'weakest link' by far previously.  Now, I'm thinking maybe its my amp.

Current Setup:
Running FLAC's from a computer Foobar2000 through Belkin gold USB cable to Asus Xonar Essence One (DAC) through Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref II interconnects to the McCormack HT-1 through Acoustic Zen Hologram II bi-wire speaker cables to the Treos.
I also have an old Oppo BDP-93 i guess i could use as a source.

thx for your responses,

ard1

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:00 pm »
I've had several upgrades done to McCormack gear over the years, his upgrades will work rather well with the Treos.
I liked his work so much I went from a pair of DNA-1 Golds bi-wired to a pair of o.5’s Platinum monoblocks for my 3A Sig/2Wq combo, had my TLC-1 upgraded with his Signature upgrades adding balanced outputs, most outstanding results.  :thumb:
I use a HT-1 Rev B for my VCC-5 center channel as well and they work perfectly together, been thinking of having it upgraded to have the balanced inputs done to it as well, just haven't talked to them about it yet.
You would need to talk to Steve to see if you would benefit from having the balanced inputs added to your DNA-125, I know it changes the input impedance on the amp to like 10K, not sure how that would work with your Essence One DAC.
Are you running the DAC as a preamp as well?

arduous1

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2015, 10:28 pm »
Yes, when i play dedicated 2-channel, i use the Essence One as a preamp as well, since it has volume control.

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:25 am »
To date, with my 5As I've used SimAudio P-7/W-7 amp (with mac mini and dCS Debussy DAC) and really liked them. Class A for the first 5 watts, then A/B. Approx ~6 months ago, made a wholesale change to a Devialet 200 with Aurender S10 and really dig it.  Too many moving parts for apples to apples, but the SimAudio gear gets a thumbs up from me.

Another thing to consider is if you can avoid the inline passive HP filters needed for most Vandy speakers.  The Devialet, Aesthetix and a few others allow for built in high pass filtering.  I suspect there are some sonic improvements to be realized going this route.

Kenreau

C17FXR

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2015, 02:16 pm »
Yes, when i play dedicated 2-channel, i use the Essence One as a preamp as well, since it has volume control.
You should be fine driving the amps with the 4 volt output that your Essence One has.
Is there a particular reason you want to run balanced inputs?

arduous1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2015, 03:57 pm »
to be honest, its mostly b/c of convenience, i wanna be able to run unbalanced L/R channel out of 5.1 from my emotiva umc-200, and then run 2 channel out of the essence one when i want to listen to FLAC's.  Currently, i have to power down amp, disconnect ic's from emotiva, connect to essence one and then power back up. 

i was hoping to connect the balanced from E1 to amps balanced inputs and unbalanced from emotiva (leaving them always connected and on).  that way i don't have to unpower or unplug anything.  If there is a better way, i'm not sure i know it, other than to possibly run the E1 into the emotiva into the amp.  but that seems to add an extra cog in the wheel that would be unecessary.

if you guys have a better way.  my ears are open.

ard1

C17FXR

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2015, 05:50 pm »
i was hoping to connect the balanced from E1 to amps balanced inputs and unbalanced from emotiva (leaving them always connected and on).  that way i don't have to unpower or unplug anything.  If there is a better way, i'm not sure i know it, other than to possibly run the E1 into the emotiva into the amp.  but that seems to add an extra cog in the wheel that would be unecessary.

if you guys have a better way.  my ears are open.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that would not be possible as the balanced and RCA connection are the same connection through a transformer.

But you could use something that was suggested in this thread to make it easier for your connection needs, there some pretty good recommendations in there..
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134653.0

Just a flip of a switch or push of a button.

Would also save you some money as adding balanced inputs to your amp isn't cheap.

But the upgrades are well worth their money.

arduous1

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2015, 02:48 pm »
if I am only using one of the inputs at a time, I'm not sure why it is not possible. so when using emotiva e1 is off but connected and vice versa.

if needed I guess I could disconnect, but that wouldn't rly add much in terms of convenience.

decisions decisions,

a1

C17FXR

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2015, 10:40 am »
You might want to call SMc Audio (Steve) and discuss with him you plans.
He very approachable and easy to talk to, I have had several discussions with him concerning many things in audio.

tvyankee

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm »
Hello,

I have vandy 3a's sigs and well i don't know what the best amp is i do feel like bi amping was a big step up in how they sounded. 

So if possible get a 5ch amp or 4ch or 2, 2ch amps and bi amp.  Just a thought

ctsooner

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:20 pm »
My system is fairly new:
Treo's
Ayre AX5/Twenty (started with Ayre AX7e)
Empiracal Audio OSDE/SE DAC and Mac Mini server with special linear power supply
Basis TT with Benz Glider
Synergistic Research Powercell 10 SE Tesla
AQ and Basis cables

i loved the AX7e.  It worked well, but was a bit underpowered. I don't play too loudly, so it worked really well in my room.
I have heard these with a lot of the different AR gear too.  As long as you have good quality amplification, you will be just fine.  Heck, I loved them with my Music Hall 25.3 DAC.  You don't have to go crazy to get crazy good sound. 

DogsPart2

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2015, 02:53 pm »
Driving my 2CE SigII with a McIntosh MA6600.

ctsooner

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2015, 11:36 am »
Wow, the Twenty series Ayre amps are of the best I've personally ever heard tube or SS.  I've heard them against the top of the line Boulder amps and they are there with them.  I have found that the Vandy line from Treo up are so clear and revealing, that you need good amplification.  Some will laugh, but NAD amps can be soooo good.  They can easily run a pair or Treo's or Quatro's in you want to save some money for later.  The best NAD mono blocks are killer and very natural.  Sometimes folks worry about buying up in a speaker line when they need to buy the best they can afford.  Then you can save some bucks with a Top NAD.  Often you can get the NAD used and save more.  Any of the 72v AQ DBS cables will work great too.  Add a small TT and a used Music Hall balanced 25.3 DAC (like hte one I'm currently selling, lol) and you have a highly musical and engaging system.  90% of audiophiles would love this system and keep it for a long time happily.

I just thought I'd go in a different direction that I've love hearing in my travels that most don't even feel they can go.  JMHO