Re: Jill's white-washed maple home theater SongSeries set-up
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2012, 09:39 pm »
She likes the Decemberists, has an artistic flare and enjoys beautiful speakers

Trifecta

Welcome to the family

Kinger

« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2012, 09:40 pm »
Crane Wife = fantastic album :). Welcome to the Salk family.

Zero

« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:29 pm »
Very Scandinavian.  Looks good. :)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm »
Congrats!  Awesome speakers and welcome to the Salk Family!!

Decemberists are pretty good!!

All the best
Alex

:D

ltr317

« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm »
The speakers arrived and they are so beautiful. They are much lighter than the photos and blend into my decor perfectly. The sound, WOW! First album I listened to was the Decemberist Crane Wife...spectacular! Trying out more albums and the center and rear speakers will be installed this weekend.

Good choice using The Crane Wife as your first album for the speakers.  I have used Shankill Butchers (track #7) several times to determine the level of resolution and dynamics in my formal audio equipment reviews. 

CMYKjill

« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm »
Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Alan Parsons Project) and Close to the Edge (Yes) sounded like never before with the towers and subwoofer hooked up. This weekend the rears and center channel speakers get installed then I can listen to some 5.1 disks. My favorite opera is on now and I don't want to go to work. I have a feeling I am going to be a tad late today.  :icon_lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm »
The speakers arrived and they are so beautiful. They are much lighter than the photos and blend into my decor perfectly. The sound, WOW! First album I listened to was the Decemberist Crane Wife...spectacular! Trying out more albums and the center and rear speakers will be installed this weekend.
Pics!

CMYKjill

« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:39 pm »
I'll take some pictures this weekend after all the speakers are in place. I have to say they match my walls, drapes and fireplace beautifully. Now I need a pickled maple cabinet to hold the equipment. The one I have is only temporary and really does not go so well. Anyone have any leads on nice cabinets?

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2012, 03:18 pm »
I'll take some pictures this weekend after all the speakers are in place. I have to say they match my walls, drapes and fireplace beautifully. Now I need a pickled maple cabinet to hold the equipment. The one I have is only temporary and really does not go so well. Anyone have any leads on nice cabinets?

Cool - I love seeing speaker setups in their natural environment.

Have you asked if Jim would be willing to build you a cabinet?  Also, what is your price range?

CMYKjill

« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:13 pm »
I talked to Jim about it before I decided to put the money into surround speakers. I figured I could wait and get the cabinet later. But now seeing the beauty of the speakers and the finish makes me want to revisit that idea sooner rather than later. I don't have a specific price range in mind, and I have looked at several options, so I guess I am flexible.

Nuance

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:42 pm »
Gotcha.  Well, I'd of course love for the money to go to Jim, but here are a couple of popular manufacturers (you have probably already seen them, and I don't know that they'd match your speakers):

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/
http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/av.jsp

CMYKjill

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:02 pm »
Thanks for the links, I will look but you are right...they will not match the speakers. That is my challenge. The look is important to me and that translates into a custom cabinet. That is why I went to Salk in the first place for the speakers. It was all about the appearance. Oh but the sound! What a bonus!

Nuance

« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2012, 08:14 pm »
Oh but the sound! What a bonus!

Indeed!  If Jim cannot accommodate your cabinet needs I do hope you find what you're looking for.  Good luck and keep us posted.

CMYKjill

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2012, 08:42 pm »
The shape of my living room presented a bit or a challenge, but Jim worked with me and came up with some solutions that really made it work well. What do you think?

Looks like it is time for a new cabinet to match.

And with the grills

OK one more. Look how well they go with the kitchen cabinets:

Nuance

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2012, 08:46 pm »
The shape of my living room presented a bit or a challenge, but Jim worked with me and came up with some solutions that really made it work well. What do you think?

I think you have an amazing home and now an amazing sound system to go with it.  Color me impressed!  Now you just need a 70" TV.:D

CMYKjill

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2012, 08:53 pm »
LOL I know my TV is not huge, but it was the maximum size that fit in my car on the day I decided I want to buy one and set it up. Instant gratification is high on this impulse buyer's list. Waiting for these speakers was a whole new experience in patience, but so worth it! When it goes, I may have to wait for a delivery man to bring me one larger.

fsimms

« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2012, 02:59 pm »
Beautiful speakers in a beautiful room.  One of the nicest setups I have seen.  :thumb:

Bob

CMYKjill

« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2012, 06:39 pm »
Beautiful speakers in a beautiful room.  One of the nicest setups I have seen.  :thumb:

Bob

Thanks Bob and the best part is how great they sound. I have been listening to all my classical CDs since I got up this morning and I am just so impressed with how great they sound. I keep getting the chills.

Carl V

« Reply #38 on: 26 Feb 2012, 06:41 pm »
agree on the lovely home & set-up.
agree that a new more stylish Equip.
cabinet is perhaps next. and some wire management.
we all fight that snake pit of wires.
The grill covers really make this set-up blend in tastefully.

CMYKjill

« Reply #39 on: 26 Feb 2012, 06:48 pm »
agree on the lovely home & set-up.
agree that a new more stylish Equip.
cabinet is perhaps next. and some wire management.
we all fight that snake pit of wires.
The grill covers really make this set-up blend in tastefully.
I am looking into a modern style cabinet with similar wood finish as the speakers and lower to the ground so the wires are not visible from the front and possibly silver/gray grills rather than the white.