Sometimes It takes A Child.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Sometimes It takes A Child.
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2010, 04:05 pm »
^^^^ Just remembered that Laundrew dog's name is Hector too.... 'Fess it up Laundrew, you hate Berlioz, eh?

Nap.  8)

Berlioz  :scratch:

I do not believe he was a goth, was he? I must say that you all listen to some very odd music here - "sigh" mainstreamers...  :P :wink: :D

:rotflmao:

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2010, 04:13 pm »
Berlioz  :scratch:

I do not believe he was a goth, was he? I must say that you all listen to some very odd music here - "sigh" mainstreamers...  :P :wink: :D

:rotflmao:

Be well...

Looks steampunk to me:

And his Requiem is kinda' dark thing too.....

Nap.  :P

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm »
Classic rock is ok in small doses. I try not to listen to it too much, because it is played out to me. But, I'll always love the hard rock and heavy metal of the 60s to the present.

1oldguy

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2010, 03:05 pm »
Classic rock is OK in small doses. I try not to listen to it too much, because it is played out to me. But, I'll always love the hard rock and heavy metal of the 60s to the present.

Actually I agree with you.

I should point out that I personality listen to way to many styles of music to be tied down to classic rock.My purpose in posting in the first place was to show that even some kids are aware enough to realize that something is off the mark with today's music..Of course I'm referring to what is popular.This is what the kid was comparing it too.Lets face it,even an ostrich wouldn't bother pulling his head out of the sand for most of today's popular music.

As regards the Weirdo names  artists are sometimes using, perhaps it would help if I explained it a little for those who may be internally confused.
When your in a store and just looking at all the covers of CD's,that is the artist trying to grab your attention in the hopes of getting your money.Today's trend is to shock you,vying for your attention.IF a cover is way out there and you get this thing home,and pop it into your player and it's nothing like the image portrayed,chances are the buyer isn't going to be satisfied.Or picture if you will someone buying and adult magazine but all the lovely ladies have all their clothes on,again the product is not what you thought you were getting.   
I guess I must really be getting old as I have little time for mass anything at this point in my life.Music can revel so much for those who are attuned enough to pay attention.
In those few seconds you have that never before seen CD cover in your hands it could be likened to meeting people.You know pretty quickly if you'd rather distance yourself or not.For me the same thing applies to music.

1oldguy

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2010, 05:35 pm »
Agreed :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2010, 05:56 pm »
Let me categorize classic rock a bit.  Aerosmith, Van Halen, Kiss, boston's 1st album stuff that dominated 75-1984.  That stuff has been overplayed, especially when it's always the top 2-3 songs, never a deep cut. 
Stuff that began about 1967  like Vanilla fudge, Cream, 10 years after, motorhead, deep purple (other than smoke on the water)  Black sabbath machine head, uriah heep, UFO  and the like simply don't show up on classic rock stations. In most markets you'd have to have satellite radio.  Even though we are talking music that precedes classic rock by many years- I am less worn out on heavy metal/hard rock  due to lack of everyday (over)exposure.

I'm not sure how you mixed Vanilla Fudge here, but once you've heard something like their version of "The Look Of Love" you can easily understand how they don't show up on rock stations. It's not even rock, unless you accept that a sound suggesting stoned Pink Floyd singing in slow-motion inside an aquarium is.

Sure there's a novelty factor to their stuff, but once you've listened to it a couple of times it wears out.

Nap.

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:41 pm »
Let me categorize classic rock a bit.  Aerosmith, Van Halen, Kiss, boston's 1st album stuff that dominated 75-1984.  That stuff has been overplayed, especially when it's always the top 2-3 songs, never a deep cut. 
Stuff that began about 1967  like Vanilla fudge, Cream, 10 years after, motorhead, deep purple (other than smoke on the water)  Black sabbath machine head, uriah heep, UFO  and the like simply don't show up on classic rock stations. In most markets you'd have to have satellite radio.  Even though we are talking music that precedes classic rock by many years- I am less worn out on heavy metal/hard rock  due to lack of everyday (over)exposure.

Exactly. Those bands for the most part are not overplayed or played at all. As far as Kiss and Aerosmith are concerned, their deep cuts are not played on the radio, as you alluded to. FM radio, that is. They do have songs that could be called hard rock/heavy metal, so I'm not quite sick of them. Another band that's a bit overplayed is AC/DC, particularly the 'Back in Black' album.

vegasdave

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:52 pm »
Well, I'm not too burned out on them, as I mainly play the albums that came before those 2. Although, I still dig 'Highway to Hell' in small doses.

ctviggen

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:53 pm »
Can't listen to because they were overplayed (at least on the radio stations I used to listen to):  Beatles; Led Zeppelin; all heavy metal; Rolling Stones; Boston; Pink Floyd.  I swear Led Zep was played every third song.  Oh yeah, "freebird" (the song) was played every fourth song.  I have zero CDs from this era.

Napalm

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:59 pm »
Can't listen to because they were overplayed (at least on the radio stations I used to listen to):  Beatles; Led Zeppelin; all heavy metal; Rolling Stones; Boston; Pink Floyd.  I swear Led Zep was played every third song.  Oh yeah, "freebird" (the song) was played every fourth song.  I have zero CDs from this era.

I can listen to anything  :weights:

except maybe the Beatles. Which IMHO are overrated.

Nap.
 :peek:

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2010, 07:21 pm »

So, what do you listen to?

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jul 2010, 07:22 pm »

Nap.

Some of the Beatles' stuff is...but they still kick ass!

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2010, 07:36 pm »
A lot of the bands I listed are good artists, I just cannot listen to them because I heard them too many times.  (Oh, I forgot the Doors.)  To show you how bad it is, here's a recent indication.  I bought a new car, which has satellite radio. In searching for stations, I tried some "rock" stations.  If notes of a Beatles or Led Zep song came on, I immediately turned the channel.  This happened so often that I've given up on "rock" stations. 

These artists are good artists.  It's just that when you've heard a song a million times, you've heard a song a million times.

Ryanz

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2010, 08:05 pm »

Nap.

I agree. However, I do enjoy their "darker" albums, in moderation.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #34 on: 21 Jul 2010, 09:21 pm »
We each like what we like.
When I was young, I did not like Jazz. Then just when Ken Burns Jazz series came out, I watched it, and suddenly I 'got' Jazz. So I changed gears in my 40's.
Spent a few years playing catch up on Jazz.....
This last year I decided to 'freshen' my rock collection, as I had stopped listening to new stuff around 1987 or so, when MTV stopped full time rock videos, (Atlanta also had all weekend night long rock videos too back then)
I decided to play catch up and buy (used) all the better 'rock' music up to year 2000 that I missed. I bought 1,300 CDs. and like 400 LPs in the last year. Interesting. I have to say i found a LOT of interesting trends in newer (newer that 1985) music. I have not  purchased much post 2000 music due to not having an easy source of info i can carry to find stuff (I use the ALL MUSIC GUIDE book).
I like a lot of music. I like finding new music I can love. So to say I would not bother to listen because I agree with some 12 year olds' notion... wow... crazy.
First off, 12 year olds DO NOT HAVE ORIGINAL IDEAS. They have copied ideas, from some significant 'other'. Whom ever is thier mentor, thier ideal, THOSE are the notions they spout. So thinking they have 'wisdom' is totally hilarious.
Just my two cents on twelve year olds.

jaxwired

« Reply #35 on: 21 Jul 2010, 09:49 pm »

Right on brother.  It was great music, no doubt about it, but people need to move on. 

vegasdave

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:37 am »
A lot of the bands I listed are good artists, I just cannot listen to them because I heard them too many times.  (Oh, I forgot the Doors.)  To show you how bad it is, here's a recent indication.  I bought a new car, which has satellite radio. In searching for stations, I tried some "rock" stations.  If notes of a Beatles or Led Zep song came on, I immediately turned the channel.  This happened so often that I've given up on "rock" stations. 

These artists are good artists.  It's just that when you've heard a song a million times, you've heard a song a million times.

I can believe that.

Ryanz

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:44 am »

I can believe that.

Makes sense. I can't stand the music that I grew up with, so if I hear pretty much anything that can fall into the genre of "Pop Heavy Metal" I just might gouge my eardrums out with and ice pick. Luckily I didn't grown up with classic rock, so it's still fairly new to me.

Napalm

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:53 am »
It's just that when you've heard a song a million times, you've heard a song a million times.

Mhhhh how many times can you see the same *movie* again and again before getting sick just at the thought that you'll see it once more?  :icon_twisted:

I'm amazed by kids, they can watch the same cartoon all day long in a loop and they still don't get bored......  :duh:

Nap.

vegasdave

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:57 am »
Makes sense. I can't stand the music that I grew up with, so if I hear pretty much anything that can fall into the genre of "Pop Heavy Metal" I just might gouge my eardrums out with and ice pick. Luckily I didn't grown up with classic rock, so it's still fairly new to me.

"Pop Heavy Metal?" Which bands?