3A's used or new 2Ce Signature II?

JAMC21

3A's used or new 2Ce Signature II?
« on: 5 May 2013, 04:05 pm »
Hello!
I have an old McIntosh C29 preamp and MC2100 amp and Ohm Walsh II's- I want to get a better speaker and have the option to do the Ohm upgrade kit that brings the Walsh II to modern Walsh 2000 specs ($1400- do it yourself), or I would rather move to some Vandersteen's. Is there a glaringly best option, or too close to call between a used 3A ($1500?) or new 2Ce SignatureII ($2100 dealer demo).
Thanks

JAMC21

Re: 3A's used or new 2Ce Signature II?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2013, 10:58 pm »
Hello?!?

oros

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2013, 04:26 am »
3A's are upgradeable 2's in all their incarnations are not.
So if the 3's are in good nick and you like the sound and you intend to hang on to them you have the option to upgrade them via Vandersteen. But it don't come cheap.
They are both wonderful speakers have a listen only your ears can decide.  At least with the 3's you can keep up with the game if that is your bag.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2013, 11:20 am »
I would probably buy the new II Sigs.  I owned the IIs and the 3A Sigs and didn't think the 3A Sigs were much better.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2013, 01:04 pm »
I have had the 2CE Sig II now for a year and still amazed by the sound. When I went out, listening to many floorstanders and stand mount speakers, I was particular and compared the Vandy's to as many other speakers as I could drive 90 miles to have a extended audition. I tried KEF, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, B&W, Totem, Paradigm, Magnepan, Martin Logan and others. It came down to the Maggies  1.7 and the 2CE Sig II and I ended up with the Vandy's and later added MMG's for a second system. With both SS amp and tube amp, I think the 2 CE Sig II is a very refined speaker for the money!

tomytoons

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2013, 01:27 pm »
I loved the much older 2Ci's when I had them with Classe' amps and pre.
Great speakers for the money. I would have the dealer knock the price down a bit more.
You may need to hear both though. When you start getting into $1400 upgrades I start thinking elsewhere.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2013, 07:29 pm »
I'm always looking for a deal when it comes to HiFi. I purchased a pair of 2CE's with sound anchor stands for $250
and a pair of 3A's with stands for $900. I sure others will correct me  :lol: but I think $1500 is a little bit high. Be
patient and keep looking.

Just my $.02......................Bill 

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2013, 09:59 pm »
I'm always looking for a deal when it comes to HiFi. I purchased a pair of 2CE's with sound anchor stands for $250
and a pair of 3A's with stands for $900. I sure others will correct me  :lol: but I think $1500 is a little bit high. Be
patient and keep looking.

Just my $.02......................Bill

I can appreciate the low price you paid for the 2CE, but the OP is talking about the 2CE Sig II, which has the midrange and tweeter of the 3A. It is a much improved speaker and I do not think you could get it ANYWHERE near $250. This speaker has been around for a long time and has evolved more than a few times. (But the bargain basement hunter in you is to be admired He he)

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2013, 10:30 pm »
I can appreciate the low price you paid for the 2CE, but the OP is talking about the 2CE Sig II, which has the midrange and tweeter of the 3A. It is a much improved speaker and I do not think you could get it ANYWHERE near $250. This speaker has been around for a long time and has evolved more than a few times. (But the bargain basement hunter in you is to be admired He he)

You are absolutely right. I can say there is a big diff. between the 3A's and the 2 CE's. I loved the 2CE's and that's what prompted me to purchase the 3A's.
I've never owned a pair of the 2CE Sig II.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2013, 05:10 pm »
JAMC21 the used 3A may have an eight inch woofer that may need to be repaired i.e.: removed and sent back to vandersteen.  Are you handy with tools.  If not then the model 2 may be the best option for you especially if the demoed model contains the latest upgrade to the midrange driver that being the pleated midrange cone of the model 5A.