Quatrro Power Chords

jjc1

Quatrro Power Chords
« on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:46 pm »
  I'm considering replacing the stock power chords on my Quattros. Has anyone done this with their Vandys?
  Any opinions about doing this?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Quatrro Power Chords
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:30 pm »
jjc, I had a pair of Qs in my home for a day, and I believe that the amp's rear plate is the same as that of the 5A, in that the IEC powerinlet is 'shrouded' by the back plate's heat-disipation fins, and only powercords with small-'diameter' out-ends will fit.  I used a Pangea 14 in both the Quatros and my 5As and didn't hear a difference, but I'm no GEA in that I can't easily hear the very subtle differences PCs create.

Eventually I hardwired my 5A amps using DH Labs Power Plus cable.  Again, I couldn't hear a difference, but I 'know' it sounds better after removing a set of mechanical connections.

jjc1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2012, 06:43 pm »
  Thanks for your insight Jeff. I have a Pangea 14 which I just tried for fit and there is no problem. There is still ample room below the fin. I actually was thinking of trying the Pangea AC9 and from the picture it looks like the out-end is larger than the 14. I guess I'll have to get the actual dimesions to see if it will fit.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:10 am »
I was thinking of trying the Pangea AC9 and from the picture it looks like the out-end is larger than the 14. I guess I'll have to get the actual dimesions to see if it will fit.

The Pangea '9 will NOT fit in my 5A amps.  This size restriction is one reason I hardwired mine.

darthlaker

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2012, 04:17 am »

jjc1

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:23 pm »
  Good tip Darthlaker. I assume you use them with Vandersteen speakers?

darthlaker

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:41 pm »
Thanks.

Yes, I use Richard Gray Power Company - High Tension Wire power cables. The plugs were too big to fit in my Vandy 5A's but the AudioQuest power adapters work a treat!

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

You may want to use a pair of these.

Works for me!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/27807/AudioQuest-IEC_90_deg1_Right-angle_AC_Adapter-Connectors

I was told by someone who makes power cords that the use of adapters usually degrades the quality of the cord. Thus, you could be defeating the purpose of going to a higher quality cord by adding an inexpensive adapter.

darthlaker

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:53 pm »
Yes, perhaps, but I had the power cords before I had the speakers so this was the easiest solution.

At least AudioQuest is quality stuff as well though...

jriggy

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2012, 05:07 pm »
I was told by someone who makes power cords that the use of adapters usually degrades the quality of the cord. Thus, you could be defeating the purpose of going to a higher quality cord by adding an inexpensive adapter.

They definitely did in my experience... had a 15a>20a IEC adapter and it indeed colored the cables qualities and did something weird to the sound. Good thing it was just a temporary fix for a conditioner.

Maybe these effects will not be as bad, or maybe not there at all if using just for a bass amp.

darthlaker

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm »
Richard Vandersteen recommends using the stock cable provided with the speakers.

Not sure if a nicer cable will sound better for the switch mode power supply that drives the bass on the Vandys............