Need help in choosing Quattros

jjc1

Need help in choosing Quattros
« on: 21 Mar 2012, 07:36 pm »
  I am very close to buying a new pair of Quattros. What better place to get advice on Vandys than here.
  I am torn between  getting the cloth Quattros, which will save me $1500 or the wood. I spoke to Ricahard Vandersteen and he informed me that the cloth speakers do not have the X material plinth but all the same drivers and crossovers and that there is a difference heard thru all the drivers due to the plinth, not just bass.  However, the difference is not great, but according to Richard, he would be remiss not disclosing this.
  I would appreciate any feedback anyone might have on this matter.

Thanks, John.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Need help in choosing Quattros
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2012, 10:35 pm »
John, knowing a bit about your current system would help us help you.  For instance, what speakers do you have now?  What don't you like about them?  How far better than them would you like to go?  How good is the rest of your components?

jjc1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:03 am »
John, knowing a bit about your current system would help us help you.  For instance, what speakers do you have now?  What don't you like about them?  How far better than them would you like to go?  How good is the rest of your components?
     Jeffrey, my system is as follows:

Byston BDP1 and BDA1
    Clearaudio Performance TT W/ Benz Glider cart./ Nova Phenomena phono amp
    Cary SLI 80 Integrated
    ProAc D15 Speakers

I have owned the ProAcs for about 10 years and it's time for an upgrade. The Quattros have much better bass and a much fuller and more realistic sound.
   Although the Cary is only 50 watts triode and 80 ultralinear, the beauty of the Quattros is each speaker having it's power amp. My dealer was runnung the Quattros thru 150 watt Quicksilver monos. Then we connected them to the SLI 80 and we both preffered the sound of the Cary. By using a high pass filter, the SLI 80 didn't have to use any of it's power for the bass.
   I am pretty much sold on the Quattros but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the Wood vs. The Cloth.

taam

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:50 pm »
I would go wood.  They are beautiful.  You would never wonder what if I went with them.

jjc1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:04 pm »
I would go wood.  They are beautiful.  You would never wonder what if I went with them.
  Good point taam. But $1500 sure buys a lot of records and Hi Rez downloads.

taam

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:42 pm »
I agree.  But still the wood versions are so nice.  Actually if I had 10k for Vandys I would get used 5A's.  But really you can not go wrong with either quatro.  I have the measly 3A Signatures. :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:55 pm »
Actually if I had 10k for Vandys I would get used 5A's.

John, if the QWs will cost you anything in the neighborhood of $10K, I too recommend the 5As.  Here
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/vandersteen-5a-speakers is a pair in the western US.

Wig

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:49 pm »
I totally agree with what Jeffreybehr just said...

Wig :D

jjc1

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:23 pm »
  I just made a deal yesterday with my audio dealer for a 1 year old pair of Quattro Wood. The owner is trading up to 5A Carbons. I am quite excited and anxioussly awaiting for the dealer installation in my home. Sending my amp to Cary today to have the high pass filters installed.
  Thanks for all your responses. As it turns out, I now don't have to make the decision between cloth or wood.
  I'll report back once they are installed and I can luxuriate in the sound of Vandersteen. This will be my first pair of Vandys.

Cheers, John.

taam

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:35 pm »
Congrats.  You will love it once you get them dialed in and the amp back from Cary.  Which Cary product are you using with them?

Tommy

jjc1

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2012, 03:10 pm »
  Believe it or not, I am using an SLI80 Integrated.Tried SLI 80 at dealer & had no problem running the Quattros, I guess since the amp's power isn't needed or the bass reproduction.Once I'm done paying off the Quattros,the next upgrade will be Amp and Pre amp. I'll probably stick with tubes.

Kinger

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »
Congrats on the new speakers.

So Cary will install a high pass filter in your SLI80 so those low end signals are not passed on to your mains?  Didn't know that type of thing was an option.  Is the high pass at 80hz?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2012, 03:40 pm »
  I just made a deal yesterday with my audio dealer for a 1 year old pair of Quattro Wood. The owner is trading up to 5A Carbons. I am quite excited and anxioussly awaiting for the dealer installation in my home. Sending my amp to Cary today to have the high pass filters installed.
  Thanks for all your responses. As it turns out, I now don't have to make the decision between cloth or wood.
  I'll report back once they are installed and I can luxuriate in the sound of Vandersteen. This will be my first pair of Vandys.

Cheers, John.

Congrats on the new speakers!   :thumb:

I have had my 5A's for over 5 years now and I love them as much today as I did when I first got them.

Carbon 5A's "may" be my next upgrade at some point in the future.  I wish it would be the 7's, but I don't think I will be making that jump.

When you get your Quattro's, take the time to set them up properly.  It is a bit of effort, but you will be rewarded.

George

jjc1

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:17 pm »

Congrats on the new speakers.

So Cary will install a high pass filter in your SLI80 so those low end signals are not passed on to your mains?  Didn't know that type of thing was an option.  Is the high pass at 80hz?
I think it's at 100hz. I'll let u know when I find out.

jjc1

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:19 pm »
  George, my dealer is coming to install and set them up. Good guys at Audio Connection.

jjc1

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:05 pm »
   The Quattros have arrived at my dealer. Went to see them yesterday. A beautiful Cherry with a lot of striations, curls...just beautiful. And I know they'll sound as good as they look.
    Just waiting for my modified Cary amp to come back which should be in a few days. Then the installation and music Nirvana!   :D :D :D

taam

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:50 pm »
Remember to post pics once you get them setup.

jjc1

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2012, 07:37 pm »
Quattros are coming tommrow to be  installed. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2012, 08:12 pm »
Quattros are coming tommrow to be  installed. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Exciting times!!

Have fun and enjoy the speakers.

I know that I enjoy my 5A's every time I listen.

George

jjc1

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:09 pm »
  George, what did you enjoy more? The 5As or Big Blue's Super Bowl victory?