SOLD! Reference 3A MM Generation II Serie Master Bookshelf Speakers

ljbrandt

SOLD

For your consideration is a beautiful sounding pair of Reference 3a MM Generation II Serie Master audiophile studio bookshelf monitors -

Made in France, this is the speaker line that paved the way to the now famous De Capos.

They were used briefly on a computer desktop and sounded remarkable, but were just too big for the desk and too close to the wall. I then put them on stands and WOW, they blossomed into another level of sonic bliss! But...like the same old story, as good as they sounded on stands, it was 'someone else's opinion' that they took up too much space in a shared area and I was consigned to find something more suitable for my desktop listening area - such a shame, but the search continues...I am now looking at the duclets..

Speakers are in good condition considering their age. Of note, there is a visible chip in the lower corner of the right speaker and some wear by the emblem on one of the grills (they look better with them off).  More pictures available upon request.

« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2015, 10:00 pm by ljbrandt »

guest61169

Don't you have two "right hand" (or "left handed" depending on placement) speakers there? 

ljbrandt

Don't you have two "right hand" (or "left handed" depending on placement) speakers there?

I just assumed that this is how they were manufactured. Perhaps I do have two right speakers!

timind

• permanent vacation
Did I miss the price?

ljbrandt

RDavidson

I just assumed that this is how they were manufactured. Perhaps I do have two right speakers!

I honestly doubt you have 2 right side speakers. I've seen other (older) speakers manufactured this way. I'm assuming this is done primarily to keep manufacturing as efficient as possible. In-room, I doubt one would be able to hear a difference. If these have a minimal crossover (as I believe is the case), 90% of the sound is produced by the woofers, including perhaps some of the lower treble. The tweeters only cover the upper most frequencies, which are difficult for our ears to localize. Thus, the tweeters being offset to the same side likely makes less difference in sound than the cost to manufacture 1 speaker sold in pairs vs building mirror matched pairs. Keep in mind, those were probably built before we had China doing EVERYTHING.

guest61169

I just mentioned about the mirror imaging because I was once interested in a pair of these and did a bit of looking a long time ago.  That's why the pics above seemed a bit odd.  I checked other sites and found quite a few other references to mirror imaged pairs, examples below.  That isn't to say that it will make a huge difference in the sound.

http://www.sthifi.com/bbs/talkview.asp?id=24639
http://www.audiostereo.pl/ogloszenia_sprzet/sprzedam/kolumny-podstawkowe/monitory-reference-3a-mm-gener-os98291.html
http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=24082&p=394172

ljbrandt

SOLD