Hsu Research Status?

ACHiPo

Hsu Research Status?
« on: 28 Mar 2015, 04:44 am »
I finally decided to pull the trigger on some ULS-15 wireless subs, but the only thing available on Hsu's website are closeout VLF15s in black vinyl.  Does anyone know what's going on?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Hsu Research Status?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2015, 05:25 am »
Hi, Achipo.

I just checked the website. When I added a couple 15" subs to my cart, I got a message stating the ULS-15 is not orderable. Does this mean it's back ordered? (Dunno.)

The HC-1 center channel speakers didn't have the 'not orderable' message, so it's not an across the board issue.

If you ever get them, please post your impressions. I came so close to ordering a ULS-15 about a year ago, but ended up with a Rythmik F12G instead. I've never met anyone who owns a  Hsu sub.

Michael

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2015, 06:40 am »
Michael,
I sent them a note and will post what I find out.  I've heard great things about their subs, and the wireless feature really makes sense.  Now that I've put in lots of bass traps I need to add some bass back in!

How do you like the Rythmik?  Their dual 15s look very interesting as part of a swarm.

Evan

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2015, 04:57 pm »
"How do you like the Rythmik?  Their dual 15s look very interesting as part of a swarm.

Evan
"

Evan,

It's been long enough now that I can't remember exactly why I chose the 12" over the 15". Certainly, a big part was WAF, but I guess I wanted something light (!?!) enough to relocate periodically. My HT/family and my home office share a wall, so I figured I'd move the sub into my office and move it back for movies. Of course, the reality is I've done this a scant few times.  :|

In any event, I've found that the F12G is adequate for my needs most of the time. However, I have discovered nulls in my HT room where the low bass/low frequency just disappears into never never land. There's plenty of LF presence in the primary listening position. I definitely feel the need for a second sub (at a minimum). Also, I've discovered that the 12" can be pushed beyond its limits with some music and very demanding movie sound tracks.

If I were starting over, I'd buy a 15" for HT. Or, for a little more money, I'd choose either Duke's SWARM, or a 15" plus the Rythmik Double Eight subs (or GR Research's double sub/speaker stands. The double subs and the speaker stands won't give me that sub-20Hz sound, but they will nicely fill out the ~20 to ~100Hz  range.

If my wife and I can figure out what the heck our plans are, I'd buy one of the sub choices above. [We may decide to move, we may decide to go 'vagabond' for a year or two, or we may decide to return to living in Taiwan.] This indecision is driving me mad as they impact my choices for upgrades in the near-term.

I hope you can find a solution to your subwoofer needs.

Michael

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2015, 05:18 pm »
I called Hsu and they are definitely still in business.  The reason you can only order the ported VLF15s is that they are sold out of the other subs.  They expect to get more of the ULS 15s in about a month.  Also they claim 10 mS latency with their wireless, which shouldn't be an issue if I use the 40 Hz  and 24 dB filter.

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2015, 06:27 pm »
Aha! I wonder how long it takes from their ordering new subs till the day they are delivered. I wonder why Mr. Hsu didn't order subs earlier. Unanswerable questions.

I moved my sub into my home office to pair with my GR Research LGKs. MUCH better! This F12G definitely works well in this room.  8)