Where can I audition Omega?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Where can I audition Omega?
« on: 1 Mar 2015, 11:22 pm »
Interested in Super 3i with the RS5 driver.

Would travel to Michigan's lower peninsula, Chicago, or northern Indiana/Ohio.

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Where can I audition Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2015, 01:27 am »
There is a pair of this exact model for sale in the classifieds right now at a good price; if they weren't to your liking, you could probably turn them over without a lot of trouble.

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2015, 06:40 am »
"opnly bafld" has a set for sale and he is in West Central Illinois if that's not too far from you?

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm »
"opnly bafld" has a set for sale and he is in West Central Illinois if that's not too far from you?

Already sold!

beowulf

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2015, 09:04 pm »

mnilan

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2015, 11:23 pm »
North East Ohio? US Audio Mart RS5 drivers looking for local sale.

beowulf:
Yes, I saw those and they look very nice.  I'm up to my ears in speakers right now or I'd probably grab them... 

JLM:
Go for 'em.

Mike

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:08 am »
I'm the guy with the Super 5s in NE Ohio. I don't post here much, but I'm happy to try and answer any questions!

Thanks,
Eric

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2015, 11:46 am »
Thanks guys, but I really just wanted to listen at this point.

You know, all this talk, professional reviews, and other ACers reviews but I haven't heard them in many moons.

BTW, what is the current lead time for factory fresh Super 3i?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:45 pm »
Hi JLM,

Lead time is about 3 weeks.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2015, 10:41 am »
So I got one lead on a sale of 3i (that went fast), one offer to listen to older model, and one offer to listen to Bipolar 3's. 

Guess that means there is no way to audition Omega within 300 miles of where I live short of buying a pair and waiting for them to be made.   :(

Flyin_V

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2015, 05:21 pm »
We're in the same boat JLM. I've had an ad in the SF Bay Area forum for almost 4 months. The only offer was from happyrabbit in Oregon.

beowulf

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2015, 06:58 am »
Well, if you ever make it to San Diego I would be glad to host you for a few hours, but you have to like McIntosh Labs, Decware, Omega and most importantly Belching Beaver's Peanut Butter Milk Stout:lol:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2015, 11:53 am »
My 3i buyer lives in Chicago, I'm sure he would be willing to demo.
I'm taking them up in late April.

Flyin_V

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2015, 05:21 pm »
Things are looking up, I just heard about a local pair of 3XRS for sale!  :thumb:

hdrider

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2015, 09:20 pm »
FlyinV- I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and should have my pair of 7XRS Mk2's early in April. I have a Decware Rachael and ZP3 phono stage. 

Flyin_V

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2015, 05:42 pm »
Well, if you ever make it to San Diego I would be glad to host you for a few hours, but you have to like McIntosh Labs, Decware, Omega and most importantly Belching Beaver's Peanut Butter Milk Stout:lol:

Mac, eh, Decware, ok, Omega, maybe, Peanut Butter Stout...Hell yeh!  :thumb:

Thanks for the invite.

Flyin_V

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2015, 05:49 pm »
hdrider, those 7s should sound great. I almost pulled the trigger on the stand mounted version a couple of times.

I'm now the new owner of a pre broken in pair of 3XRS .  :D

Thanks.

RDavidson

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2015, 06:35 pm »
Question for Louis : Have you ever considered building one of each speaker in the line-up for demo purposes? Maybe they could be covered in a simple black vinyl or another durable finish, just for the sake of shipping and handling many times.

I think this could be VERY helpful for those looking to take the Omega plunge, but don't have a way to audition. I acquainted myself with Omega via the used market, which has its risks, but the risk was much smaller / easier to swallow than making (in my case) a $1200+ investment without prior experience.

Perhaps what could be done is the potential buyer pays for shipping one way for the demo pair. If they place an order, following the audition, they don't have to pay return shipping for the demos. This way, the potential buyer would need to be fairly serious about a purchase (since they're paying for shipping at least once).

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2015, 03:56 pm »
I'd like to second RDavidson's suggestion. Even if you only had a couple demo speakers......

As it is, I'm going to drive a couple hundred miles out of my way (during my British Columbia trip) just to pay Canada Rob a quick visit in May. It sure would be nice to be able to audition your speakers in my home (without committing to buy first).

Excellent suggestion, RD!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 06:02 pm by mresseguie »

JLM

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:40 pm »
I agree, a tour solves many of the audition problems.  But tours can become a real hassle. 

Folks sign up to audition, then cancel or want to reschedule.  Ideally the shipping would be set up to minimize mileage/cost/time, but the cancelations and delays happen.  Shipping damage or product abuse also happens.  Some folks just fall off the face of the earth, have a change of plans, personal emergencies, or just a change of heart.  The product take longer to get from place to place than you'd think (for instance some can audition during the week or only on weekends, or their free time only comes up certain weeks/months).  Don't forget about shipping cost (even using a single container, which would have to be reinforced to hold up to multiple packing/unpacking/trips).  And the tour coordinator has no real control until/if the product comes back.