Introduction to Celsus Sound

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Introduction to Celsus Sound
« on: 3 Feb 2015, 11:03 am »
Hi,
Most of you know me as founder and ex-CEO of NuForce, and are aware that I am now managing NuPrime Audio (which as a circle here) after NuPrime has bought the high-end product line from NuForce. I have just launched a new brand Celsus Sound to focus on high-end mobility products. Each Celsus Sound device is to be cherished for its build quality, unique features and exemplary performance. For example, solely in terms of build, the Companion One, a high-performance DAC, is milled from a single ingot of aluminum, with top and bottom covers of Corning Gorilla Glass.

The Companion One is a portable USB DAC (PCM384, DSD128) & Headphone Amp, WiFi Audio streaming at 24-Bit/192kHz and supports Windows, Mac, Android (*OTG) and iOS devices. At just $595, it has one of the best WiFi streaming capability and sound quality that rivals many high-end DACs and headphone amps.

The Gramo One is an open back earphones designed for people who want an alternative to high-end headphones and IEMs for prolong listening at night.

Jason

Guy 13

Re: Introduction to Celsus Sound
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2015, 11:08 am »
Hi,
Most of you know me as founder and ex-CEO of NuForce, and are aware that I am now managing NuPrime Audio (which as a circle here) after NuPrime has bought the high-end product line from NuForce. I have just launched a new brand Celsus Sound to focus on high-end mobility products. Each Celsus Sound device is to be cherished for its build quality, unique features and exemplary performance. For example, solely in terms of build, the Companion One, a high-performance DAC, is milled from a single ingot of aluminum, with top and bottom covers of Corning Gorilla Glass.

The Companion One is a portable USB DAC (PCM384, DSD128) & Headphone Amp, WiFi Audio streaming at 24-Bit/192kHz and supports Windows, Mac, Android (*OTG) and iOS devices. At just $595, it has one of the best WiFi streaming capability and sound quality that rivals many high-end DACs and headphone amps.

The Gramo One is an open back earphones designed for people who want an alternative to high-end headphones and IEMs for prolong listening at night.

Jason

Hi Jason.
Any picture(s) soon ?

Guy 13

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2015, 11:20 am »
Sorry, in a hurry, forgot to mention the website www.celsus-sound.com, photo gallery and features are listed there.
Photos also available on https://picasaweb.google.com/106836432394752820607/CompanionOne

You can buy one on Amazon.com with 10% introduction promotional discount for Audio Circle members using coupon code: 7II37DIU
If you write a review on Amazon after purchase, contact me for additional 10% refund credit, for a total of 20%.  This offers ends Feb 28.
A lot of reviews have just started at various publications.  You can buy with confident from Amazon and if not satisfy, return for a full refund. This is a "damn good DAC" as commented by one of the reviewers on head-fi.org.

It might be overlooked as just another good portable DAC or WiFi streamer.  It is a seriously good DAC  :thumb:
My reputation is on the line here  :D

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2015, 04:05 pm »
The Celsus Sound circle will be up very soon, and wait for incredible trade-in offer.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2015, 06:22 pm »
If you own a DAC, any DAC that you have purchased for more than $400 (even if it is years ago) or if it is still available for sale today for more than $200, you can get a $200 trade-in credit (you do need to mail the DAC to our USA support center, by Post Office mail is fine) toward Celsus Companion One.  If you are not satisfy with the sound quality, we offer 100% money back return (

This is really a DAC and powerful headphone amp that can connect by wire (all cables are provided, even lightening to micro USB, no clumsy camera connector kit) or wireless to iOS, Mac, PC, Android.

This trade-in offer expires end of March, email sales@celsus-sound.com if you are interested.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2015, 01:03 pm »
Sorry, in a hurry, forgot to mention the website www.celsus-sound.com, photo gallery and features are listed there.
Photos also available on https://picasaweb.google.com/106836432394752820607/CompanionOne

You can buy one on Amazon.com with 10% introduction promotional discount for Audio Circle members using coupon code: 7II37DIU
If you write a review on Amazon after purchase, contact me for additional 10% refund credit, for a total of 20%.  This offers ends Feb 28.
A lot of reviews have just started at various publications.  You can buy with confident from Amazon and if not satisfy, return for a full refund. This is a "damn good DAC" as commented by one of the reviewers on head-fi.org.

It might be overlooked as just another good portable DAC or WiFi streamer.  It is a seriously good DAC  :thumb:
My reputation is on the line here  :D

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Celsus-Sound-Companion-Portable-Headphone/dp/B00RLHDQ42

shotoons

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2015, 10:49 pm »
Hi,

Jason

Can the digital output (3.5mm digital coax/rca coax) from a Fiio X5 be connected?  I see only a micro usb digital input on the Companion One and none of the included cables would work.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:20 pm »
Companion One accepts USB Audio input only.
It is not meant for CD player, portable player with optical output etc.

You might be better off moving the music back into the mobile phone and send the data out by WiFi or cable to Companion One.
The optical output from FiiO X5 is unlikely (more jitter) to be better than the USB data from your phone to Companion One.

shotoons

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:02 pm »
It has a coaxial digital output, not optical.

Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ9B13M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1OHX1ZYWFEJ99

I don't think the iphone can store hi-res music and output/stream it.  If you know otherwise, let me know.  Thanks.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2015, 09:40 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ9B13M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1OHX1ZYWFEJ99
I don't think the iphone can store hi-res music and output/stream it.  If you know otherwise, let me know.  Thanks.

That cable doesn't make sense to me. It was for some old models of android phone that has analog output, just like the old 30-pin connector from Apple.
Companion One provides cables for Android, PC USB, iOS.  It comes with lightning and 30pin to micro USB cables for iOS devices.
You can not stream more than 16-bit/44kHz using AirPlay, until Apple changes that.  But you can play high-res music like FLAC, WAV and even DSD on iPad using a player called "HF Player" that is offer free by Onkyo.

shotoons

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2015, 08:33 pm »
Thanks for the info and on the Onkyo HF Player app.  Will check it out.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:46 am »
How does the Companion sound used as a DAC.....directly into an amp or preamp?  How does it rank versus your new DAC10?  I like that it is battery powered.  Is the volume control digital (32bit?) or analog?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2015, 05:04 pm »
How does the Companion sound used as a DAC.....directly into an amp or preamp?  How does it rank versus your new DAC10?  I like that it is battery powered.  Is the volume control digital (32bit?) or analog?

Yes, it can be used with a preamp and the volume control is digital.

DAC-10 is the ultimate DAC & headphone amp. If you have high-end IEM AND over-ear headphones, then with dual headphone outputs and 3 different gain settings on each outputs, DAC-10H is the only DAC that can let you listen to sensitive IEM and headphones. Most DACs have to optimize for one or the other.
Companion One is not at the same level of performance as DAC-10H, but it is one that I use personally. Reason is I mostly use the open-back Gramo One (I need to hear my wife calling me) due to non isolation and lightweight, so Companion One is more than adequate.  Furthermore, sometimes I watch movie on iPad while I work on my computer, I just stream the audio over via Airplay over to Companion One without changing my setup. When I travel once a month, I just take it with me, and my Macbook Pro and iPad.

I would use DAC-10H for my living room (it is sold out until mid March and I will be the last one to get one, stocks go to customers first). Time to get rid of my old NuForce's DAC  :P

yosh

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2015, 06:33 am »
I love the companion. The cords coming with it are not bad. Did you use ( or recommend ) another USB - micro cable for further testing ( or enjoyment)?
The hole for micro is small and the cables to be connected are limited.