Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #880 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:25 pm »
The MPD builds are already compiled, they are pre-compiled, archived and then compiled into the life file system.  Upon boot, the Manic Moose unarchives the selected version of mpd, running

tar xvf /mpd<version>.tar.bz2
cd mpd-<version>
make install
cd ..
rm /mpd-<version>

the bash script can be found using

ls /bin/mpd*.sh

To not archive the different version of MPD would increase the size of the live filesystem.

Cheers,
Chris

skunark

« Reply #881 on: 21 Jan 2015, 06:47 am »
Hi Chris,

If i understand the mpd<version>.sh, what i'm suggesting actually would use significantly less storage as you wouldn't have two archived files with all the unneccessary object files floating around and then another installed copy.    I extracted one of the archives and ran the make install with -p and as you said everything was compiled (and linked) and the just appeared to be a series of install commands, so the archives seem to be rather bloated at this phase.   With the two archives being 20M and 32M, if you had two installed versions of MPD, it would only be about 2M (less than 1M each).     

I do think it would be highly beneficial in terms boot times and now storage by just tweaking the ./configuration --prefix= to point to /opt/mpd/<version>/ or your preferred install location.   

/opt/mpd/0.17.6/bin/mpd
/opt/mpd/0.18.21/bin/mpd
Which you can either link mpd to /usr/bin or pass the version to the service file to start mpd in a clever fashion.

Of course just creating a custom package for apt-get to install in place of the archive file would save on storage, but you would still have to install the version by upgrading/downgrading the packages.  If you used XZ over bzip on the apt-get packages, this would actually consume less storage by just having two compressed packages with one being installed.   This would even hold true on your current approach by just tarballing the files that get installed.

This is only a suggestion, but I think by just adding frontscreen.sh "Installation is done Jim" to the end of the mpd<version>.sh script would be enough as I wouldn't be waiting for the installation to complete. lol

Jim
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2015, 05:53 pm by skunark »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #882 on: 22 Jan 2015, 02:09 am »
The end result is a larger firmware file, which is bigger then smaller, I know this because I have already tried this, this is what I have settled on, this is what I have already written the startup programs and scripts to do, this provides the source for those that want it and uses the smallest amount of storage on the cf cards that contain the firmware.

guildenstern

« Reply #883 on: 4 Mar 2015, 09:59 pm »
For my BDP-2, I'm using current (as of today) version of Manic Moose on Windows 7 laptop running Firefox (V 36.0) and on Android tablet running Chrome. In both, I can't get the Search function to work. If I type in the name of an album or artist, then hit "enter/return" on the keyboard, the search box empties but no results appear. Sometimes as I type in the Search box, strange things happen, which I have since figured out are related to Bryston's keyboard commands -- for example, if I type the letter "d," then the "Now Playing" header bar turns red, waiting for me to delete a track.

I'd like to be able to use Search. Help, please?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #884 on: 5 Mar 2015, 02:07 am »
There's no need to push enter or return, as soon as the search string exceeds 3 characters it begins searching.  Depending on how large your database is it may take some time before results are returned.  I can't say I have extensively tested Firefox, you could try another browser like chrome on your windows 7 computer.

Cheers
Chris

guildenstern

« Reply #885 on: 7 Mar 2015, 08:49 pm »
Help, please, with tracks from ripped CDs appearing out of order.

I have a NAS Music folder, which makes up the library for my iTunes (accessible via Sonos). I added the same NAS Music folder to my Bryston BDP-2. It's a big folder and took a while to load, but all went well. However, curious things happened today as I ripped a batch of CDs into this folder. I'm using dBpoweramp to rip the CDs.

When I ripped the discs to AIFF, the albums and tracks populated into iTunes/Sonos just fine, with all tracks in an album appearing in order. But after updating the folder via the BDP-2 dashboard, when I access the same album via Manic Moose media player, the tracks are out of order. The beginnings of the track names vary in their numbering: for example, some of the track names begin with numbers like "01, 02, 03," while others begin "5/10, 7/10," etc.

As an experiment, I tried ripping the same CDs into Apple Lossles format instead of AIFF -- and then, in both iTunes/Sonos and Manic Moose, within each album, the tracks appear in order.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion of the relative merits of AIFF or whether one can hear the difference between AIFF and ALAC. I'd just like to have the option to use AIFF, but not if album tracks won't line up in order. Do you know if this is this a Manic Moose problem or a dBpoweramp metadata problem? I checked the metadata before ripping and everything seemed to make sense. The CDs I've ripped today are not too obscure -- some ECM jazz discs by Manu Katche and Paul Motian.

Thanks in advance for your help.

renato

« Reply #886 on: 17 Mar 2015, 02:27 pm »
James, Chris and all the Brystonians,
Yesterday I downloaded the MM 2.10 and with my great pleasure, the Upgrade function dropped from 150 minutes to a couple. I didn't believe at my eyes. Bryston has made a very good job. Congratulations!
As an old Computer technician, I thought you worked on the SD usage optimization or you update the update process in order to insert just the deltas without rebuild the indexes from scratch. What else?

Anyway, bravo!  :D

guildenstern

« Reply #887 on: 23 Mar 2015, 07:41 pm »
A few questions/issues based on my experience of using Manic Moose (latest version) with my BDP-2 (current firmware). Have tried Manic Moose on Chrome and Firefox on PC, and on Safari on iPad. Music collection consists of roughly 1900 albums on NAS, and a couple dozen on a USB flash drive. Any help appreciated.

(1) In Dashboard NAS Setup, when I click "Speed Test" nothing happens. How do I get Speed Test to work?

(2) When I play an album, the album art takes a while to display in the center pane of Media Player view. Almost always no art shows during first song, but eventually it appears. Or I can sometimes make the album art appear by skipping ahead to a later track -- for example, I can jump to Track 5, and the art will appear, and then the art remains in view when I go back to Track 1. But why doesn't the art show up with Track 1 in the first place?

(3) Artist View shows almost no album art. Maybe a dozen artists have album art, otherwise no art. (All album art shows fine in iTunes and Sonos.) I have tried to load by both Artist and AlbumArtist -- makes no difference.

(4) Artist View does not include all artists. For example, guitarist David Russell is missing from Artist View. If I go to Default view and navigate to NAS Music folder, then he is listed there. Why isn't he in Artist View as well? (And the same goes for many many more artists not showing up in Artist View.)

(5) On opening screen of Media Player, in Default view (see screen shot below), to the right of "Add Files" there is a  dropdown box that allows for quick jump to entries by alphabet. For me, this dropdown box is not functional for all folders. If I navigate to the NAS and click Music folder, then once everything loads, I can use the dropdown box to jump immediately to entries by alphabet. But in any other folder, the dropdown box does not function. For example, if I open the Artist folder or Album folder, once the folder populates, I can only scroll through it. I can open the dropdown box and click a letter of the alphabet, but nothing happens.

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm by guildenstern »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #888 on: 24 Mar 2015, 01:35 am »
A few questions/issues based on my experience of using Manic Moose (latest version) with my BDP-2 (current firmware). Have tried Manic Moose on Chrome and Firefox on PC, and on Safari on iPad. Music collection consists of roughly 1900 albums on NAS, and a couple dozen on a USB flash drive. Any help appreciated.

(1) In Dashboard NAS Setup, when I click "Speed Test" nothing happens. How do I get Speed Test to work?

(2) When I play an album, the album art takes a while to display in the center pane of Media Player view. Almost always no art shows during first song, but eventually it appears. Or I can sometimes make the album art appear by skipping ahead to a later track -- for example, I can jump to Track 5, and the art will appear, and then the art remains in view when I go back to Track 1. But why doesn't the art show up with Track 1 in the first place?

(3) Artist View shows almost no album art. Maybe a dozen artists have album art, otherwise no art. (All album art shows fine in iTunes and Sonos.) I have tried to load by both Artist and AlbumArtist -- makes no difference.

(4) Artist View does not include all artists. For example, guitarist David Russell is missing from Artist View. If I go to Default view and navigate to NAS Music folder, then he is listed there. Why isn't he in Artist View as well? (And the same goes for many many more artists not showing up in Artist View.)

(5) On opening screen of Media Player, in Default view (see screen shot below), to the right of "Add Files" there is a  dropdown box that allows for quick jump to entries by alphabet. For me, this dropdown box is not functional for all folders. If I navigate to the NAS and click Music folder, then once everything loads, I can use the dropdown box to jump immediately to entries by alphabet. But in any other folder, the dropdown box does not function. For example, if I open the Artist folder or Album folder, once the folder populates, I can only scroll through it. I can open the dropdown box and click a letter of the alphabet, but nothing happens.

I can't stress enough how much I wish people would post the actual version used rather then latest (run into countless times users have said it's the latest, just to find out it isn't).

1. I believe the speed test function for NAS and perhaps even drives have yet to be implemented since the release of manic moose, I guess the answer is it's out your hands for the time being.

2. This is atributed to a number of issues and we have been slowly fixing the various issues as we find them, also I should note that I noticed a flaw with how we refresh browser cache so as we have fixed a number of these issues in S2.10 2015-03-02 it could be you just need the clear your browser history.

3.  Art work will only show in the artist view if actual picture file (jpg or png) containing the cover art is placed in the same folder as the music.  This may also explain 2. As well, as it might be taking awhile because the BDP is going out to amazon to get cover art. 

4. Two thing to check here, sounds like you have already done one of them that's try artist vs albumartist tag.  The one thing to keep in mind when changing this option is you must force a rebuild of the database before you will see the end result.  In S2.10 2015-03-02 we added a rebuild button found on the page where you make this change.  The second thing to check for is that these files have tag data associated to them.  The easiest way to check this is to play the songs and use the info button to see what tag data MPD knows of.

5. Currently that is a limitation of that drop down menu, we havn't coded in the "jump pints" yet.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #889 on: 24 Mar 2015, 01:39 am »
James, Chris and all the Brystonians,
Yesterday I downloaded the MM 2.10 and with my great pleasure, the Upgrade function dropped from 150 minutes to a couple. I didn't believe at my eyes. Bryston has made a very good job. Congratulations!
As an old Computer technician, I thought you worked on the SD usage optimization or you update the update process in order to insert just the deltas without rebuild the indexes from scratch. What else?

Anyway, bravo!  :D

Glad your enjoying the update,

There have been dozens of Tweens, additions and changes, to many to list off all of them.  The main one being

Better support for the BDP-1USB
Compatibility with USB dACs
DSD 128 compatibility
New versions of MPD with sources as usually(for the three guys geeky enough to want them, including myself)
Bunch more stuff, a completeist can be found in the readme file that eventually appears on the firmware update page

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #890 on: 24 Mar 2015, 01:40 am »
Help, please, with tracks from ripped CDs appearing out of order.

I have a NAS Music folder, which makes up the library for my iTunes (accessible via Sonos). I added the same NAS Music folder to my Bryston BDP-2. It's a big folder and took a while to load, but all went well. However, curious things happened today as I ripped a batch of CDs into this folder. I'm using dBpoweramp to rip the CDs.

When I ripped the discs to AIFF, the albums and tracks populated into iTunes/Sonos just fine, with all tracks in an album appearing in order. But after updating the folder via the BDP-2 dashboard, when I access the same album via Manic Moose media player, the tracks are out of order. The beginnings of the track names vary in their numbering: for example, some of the track names begin with numbers like "01, 02, 03," while others begin "5/10, 7/10," etc.

As an experiment, I tried ripping the same CDs into Apple Lossles format instead of AIFF -- and then, in both iTunes/Sonos and Manic Moose, within each album, the tracks appear in order.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion of the relative merits of AIFF or whether one can hear the difference between AIFF and ALAC. I'd just like to have the option to use AIFF, but not if album tracks won't line up in order. Do you know if this is this a Manic Moose problem or a dBpoweramp metadata problem? I checked the metadata before ripping and everything seemed to make sense. The CDs I've ripped today are not too obscure -- some ECM jazz discs by Manu Katche and Paul Motian.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We are aware of this, I just don't have a solution that doesn't involve converting the aiff to a other format

setamp

« Reply #891 on: 29 Mar 2015, 07:12 pm »
I have installed S2.10 and when I go to the Media Player I get "MPD doesn't appear to be responding".  On the front panel of my BDP-1 it says it is "Installing MPD 0.17.6".  This has been going on for 2+ hours. There is an "A" where I would normally see a square,delta,II or U"   Any thoughts as to what I should do?

ebogda01

« Reply #892 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:11 pm »
I have installed S2.10 and when I go to the Media Player I get "MPD doesn't appear to be responding".  On the front panel of my BDP-1 it says it is "Installing MPD 0.17.6".  This has been going on for 2+ hours. There is an "A" where I would normally see a square,delta,II or U"   Any thoughts as to what I should do?
So, I'm not alone. Never got a answer to this question though...apart from an initial question how much time it takes...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #893 on: 30 Mar 2015, 04:20 pm »

Is it a BDP-1 or BDP-1USB?  have you tried simply rebooting the BDP?  Finally, i really can't tell you whats wrong unless its placed in service mode and you email us the service ID.

Cheers,
Chris

Samurai7595

« Reply #894 on: 31 Mar 2015, 10:58 am »
If I upgrade my BDP-2 to MM, will it affect compatibility with the MPaD app (iPad Mini)?

setamp

« Reply #895 on: 31 Mar 2015, 01:34 pm »
Is it a BDP-1 or BDP-1USB?  have you tried simply rebooting the BDP?  Finally, i really can't tell you whats wrong unless its placed in service mode and you email us the service ID.

Cheers,
Chris

It is a BDP-1.  I have rebooted several times.  I am unable to place it into service mode.  I will rma the unit to Vermont.

ttsto

« Reply #896 on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:24 pm »
what I would do, before sending unit back: remove the flash card and re-write the image as per first post

setamp

« Reply #897 on: 31 Mar 2015, 06:30 pm »
what I would do, before sending unit back: remove the flash card and re-write the image as per first post

Mine was not playing before I tried to flash it.  The firmware upgrade was a long shot.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #898 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:03 pm »
Mine was not playing before I tried to flash it.  The firmware upgrade was a long shot.

Hi

Give Gary an email - gdayton@bryston.com

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #899 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:22 pm »
Hello,
I cannot get my BSP-2 to accept the most recent version of Manic Moose firmware. I am on version S2.04 2014-06-19.

This is what I get over and over again trying to apply version S2.11 2015-04-13:

Downloading firmware filesystem
0 100% @7457
Downloading boot drivers
0 100% @6307
Downloading vmlinuz image
0 100% @7345
Running Filesystem Check: 00b044e071998f413f20a8c80f268d19 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
: Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: 00b044e0
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again
-

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
Ned