BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

Marius

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1220 on: 9 Mar 2017, 11:16 am »
seems to be the right order ;)

be sure to disable the auto update on startup option. It will require an extra click for updating the database manually, but it will make the BDP startup quicker, and prevent an automatic update of anything causing issues before you realize you have them in the first place  :( .  Sounds a little cryptic maybe. Just a matter of being in control rather than handing it over...

Cheers,
Marius

I tried this the other night but in the morning it was still updating (so after 8 hours it was still not finished).

But I will do the following this evening:
- 1) Empty the cache
- 2) I do a reset DB without any USB HDD connected to it.
- 3) Save and restart, still without any USB HDD connected to the BDP-1.
- 4) Connect the self powered HDD, go to sleep and see what happend the next morning.

I let you know tommorow.
Already thanks.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1221 on: 9 Mar 2017, 12:16 pm »
I tried this the other night but in the morning it was still updating (so after 8 hours it was still not finished).

But I will do the following this evening:
- 1) Empty the cache
- 2) I do a reset DB without any USB HDD connected to it.
- 3) Save and restart, still without any USB HDD connected to the BDP-1.
- 4) Connect the self powered HDD, go to sleep and see what happend the next morning.

I let you know tommorow.
Already thanks.

Sorry, I don't see the point of resetting, saving, and restarting, if there's nothing attached externally. Does MM have a permanent memory that can op without attachments? (I use Loony Loon for perfectly smooth ops).

Marius

« Reply #1222 on: 9 Mar 2017, 12:19 pm »
Sorry, I don't see the point of resetting, saving, and restarting, if there's nothing attached externally. Does MM have a permanent memory that can op without attachments? (I use Loony Loon for perfectly smooth ops).

depends on where you're coming from, but when its from a not working bdp1, a corrupt DB, or a different DB form a previous owner/user, as it seems to be the case here, it is best to be sure you start with a fresh and empty BDP/DB.

remnants of old allover the place, so deleting, saving and updating to an empty BDP seems best.

Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1223 on: 9 Mar 2017, 12:28 pm »
Got it. Thx.

Unplugging the power cord should do it. Whenever I have a power failure here, I have to restart and it reloads everything into DB. Takes a while with 2 powered USB drives!

Marius

« Reply #1224 on: 9 Mar 2017, 12:32 pm »
Got it. Thx.

Unplugging the power cord should do it. Whenever I have a power failure here, I have to restart and it reloads everything into DB. Takes a while with 2 powered USB drives!

Best example for the need to disable the auto update feature I mentioned above... no reason to reload/update the entire dB after a power failure is there?

Cheers Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1225 on: 9 Mar 2017, 12:52 pm »
Cutting out the power would, I presume, erase the memory and require a reboot/update. As another example, whenever I disconnect a portable drive to add new music from my desktop, I power down first, detach, and then power up AFTER the updated drive is reattached. If I try this without powering down to standby, it will not  recognize the reattached drive until I reboot the power.

Marius

« Reply #1226 on: 9 Mar 2017, 01:01 pm »
Cutting out the power would, I presume, erase the memory and require a reboot/update. As another example, whenever I disconnect a portable drive to add new music from my desktop, I power down first, detach, and then power up AFTER the updated drive is reattached. If I try this without powering down to standby, it will not  recognize the reattached drive until I reboot the power.

as always, ymmv.
cutting power might erase ram, but wont necessarily require a full update of all drives attached.

i never disconnect drives for adding music, always do that over the network. (unless were talking full db transfers, or changing HDD's etc etc)
And, as for a special request of yours truly and many others, Chris added the separate folder update option a long time ago, so you won't have to update the full db for a single album  :thumb: :thumb:

since the BDP is a computer essentially, your way of handling usb drives seems the only appropriate way indeed. Or you could eject them in the drives settings. I think  :?

Anyways, careful handling is always time well spent.

Cheerio,
Marius

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2017, 07:40 pm by Marius »

Hoiman

« Reply #1227 on: 9 Mar 2017, 07:26 pm »
Finally it works. I have done a lot of things. I renamed the HDD and I deleted all the vob files on it (don't know why they where on it but they where, music movies)
I did all the steps I told you to do and now it's working.

Tezza009

« Reply #1228 on: 14 Mar 2017, 03:46 am »
A question for the TIDAL / BDP-1 users. I find it very slow to get started - as long as 10minutes. Once started it is better but still sluggish.
My network performance is generally very good - sufficient to drive HD TV and multiple devices.

Is this a function of the BDP-1 or are there tips to improve.

Thanks
Terry

Marius

« Reply #1229 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:32 am »
Finally it works. I have done a lot of things. I renamed the HDD and I deleted all the vob files on it (don't know why they where on it but they where, music movies)
I did all the steps I told you to do and now it's working.

Cool. Now start enjoying and please let us in on your listening experience. Happy BDP-ing!

Cheers,
Marius

Hoiman

« Reply #1230 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:00 pm »
Cool. Now start enjoying and please let us in on your listening experience. Happy BDP-ing!
Thanks.

It's sounds great.  :thumb: :thumb:

It works fine, one little thing and that 's if I copy music over the network to the HDD that's connected to the BDP-1, the network connection is lossed after a while.
The BDP-1 is saying that it doesn't have an network anymore. The rest of my network stills works.
BUT the BDP-1 is the only device that is linked by a homeplug to the network and when I unplug it and plug it in again, everything works fine again.
So I don't know if it is the BDP-1 or the homeplug.
I don't do any copying anymore over the network to HDD in connected to the BDP-1.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1231 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:26 pm »
^ Is your unit on Moose?

Hoiman

« Reply #1232 on: 14 Mar 2017, 03:37 pm »
Is your unit on Moose?
Yes, it's playing mostly music when I'm doing this. But I also have tried it without playing music. Moose is always on I don't think you can turn this off?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1233 on: 14 Mar 2017, 06:14 pm »
Yes, it's playing mostly music when I'm doing this. But I also have tried it without playing music. Moose is always on I don't think you can turn this off?

No, it's software. You can, of course, update it or even uninstall it   :icon_twisted:

Hoiman

« Reply #1234 on: 14 Mar 2017, 06:56 pm »
Ok but how can I get the BDP-1 then to work? There must be some app/program to make the BDP-1 work?

artur9

« Reply #1235 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:23 pm »
BUT the BDP-1 is the only device that is linked by a homeplug to the network and when I unplug it and plug it in again, everything works fine again.

IIRC, I've had that same problem with the homeplug system.  That's the one where it plugs into the wall and uses the electrical wires?

If you have a spare Ethernet hub or switch around you could try plugging the Ethernet out from the homeplug into that and plug the BDP into the hub/switch.  That could stabilize things a bit.

artur9

« Reply #1236 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:32 pm »
I picked up a BDP-1 recently and absolutely love it.  A music server that acts like a CD player is a novel experience for me.

I am sending it music from MinimServer and controlling it with Linn Kazoo on my iPad with upmpdcli acting as a go-between for minimserver and Kazoo.

I do have one question.  Is the front screen customizable/configurable?  Right now it shows Artist on the first line and HTTP stuff on the second line.  It''d be better if it could show Artist and Album.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1237 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:48 pm »
Ok but how can I get the BDP-1 then to work? There must be some app/program to make the BDP-1 work?

I must be misunderstanding you. The app that I use is MPad from iTunes app store. It's discontinued. Another one is Bryston's own interface from your desktop.

Get in touch with Chris Rice if you have any trouble with these.

Marius

« Reply #1238 on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:13 am »

Manic Moose is the BDP's operating system. You cant turn this off. You can turn various option on or off within MM. the BDP is a server. You also need client software to command the server.

You can do that from a web browser connecting to the BDP (bryston-bdp-1.local or its ip address)
You can also do that through dedicated apps like Mpad/Mpod/Soundirok using the MPD transport, (widely considered having the best audio quality, free), using the Roon ready transport (considered having the best user interface, expensive, privacy considerations ) or several other apps using other transport services available in the MM settings options.

As always Your mileage may vary..
Hope this helps,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1239 on: 16 Mar 2017, 06:57 pm »
I picked up a BDP-1 recently and absolutely love it.  A music server that acts like a CD player is a novel experience for me.

I am sending it music from MinimServer and controlling it with Linn Kazoo on my iPad with upmpdcli acting as a go-between for minimserver and Kazoo.

How did you set that up? Did you manually install upmpdcli on the BDP-1?