AURALiC ARIES

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: AURALiC ARIES
« Reply #140 on: 24 Apr 2015, 10:36 pm »
did you see my question on why a 1m Optical USB cable?
No I didn't.  Sorry.  The only reason is just so there isn't 9m of cable on a spool.  That's all.  Doesn't look like it's going to happen though. 

wisnon

« Reply #141 on: 25 Apr 2015, 07:32 am »
OK

Sorry to hear. I was going to pitch for a 2m cable length…one size fits all kinda thing.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: 25 Apr 2015, 11:08 am »
OK

Sorry to hear. I was going to pitch for a 2m cable length…one size fits all kinda thing.
I'd be fine with that too. I haven't got a definitive just yet but doesn't seem probable.

orientalexpress

« Reply #143 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:39 pm »
It's everything working great except i can't get DS lighting to read more files from my NAS,it only recognize about 500 albums ,I got over 2 TB on my NAS.It's there a way to get them to recognized the rest of my NAS?Thanks

lapsan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:10 pm »
It's everything working great except i can't get DS lighting to read more files from my NAS,it only recognize about 500 albums ,I got over 2 TB on my NAS.It's there a way to get them to recognized the rest of my NAS?Thanks

lapsan
Are you using Minimserver on your NAS?  If so, what does the log show? 

santacore

« Reply #145 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:37 pm »
What specific NAS do you guys recommend to go with the Aries? My library is currently about 3.5TB and growing. Thanks.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:40 pm »
What specific NAS do you guys recommend to go with the Aries? My library is currently about 3.5TB and growing. Thanks.
I've had good luck with Synology.

santacore

« Reply #147 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:50 pm »
That's the brand that Mr. Wang of Auralic recommended when I met him. Any particular model? There are just way too many variations available.

orientalexpress

« Reply #148 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:16 pm »
Are you using Minimserver on your NAS?  If so, what does the log show?
yes,i use minimserver on Qnap 210.it's only 3 folders,it have 7 folders total.It's only show half the # of files on 1 folders and 2 smaller folders.the other 4 didn't show up at all.i try refresh the NAS from lighting DS so many time and still read the same folder.Thanks

lapsan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #149 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm »
yes,i use minimserver on Qnap 210.it's only 3 folders,it have 7 folders total.It's only show half the # of files on 1 folders and 2 smaller folders.the other 4 didn't show up at all.i try refresh the NAS from lighting DS so many time and still read the same folder.Thanks

lapsan
It sounds like the other folders aren't shared.  Maybe?

Check your Minimserver (through Minimwatch) log and it should like this:

abernardi

« Reply #150 on: 28 Apr 2015, 01:32 am »
So I have some newbie questions as I get familiar with the Aries:

1 - My DAC (Audio-gd Reference 7.1) can only decode up to 96K files.  I noticed Aries will transcode DSD to PCM, but I don't see any way to down-convert a 192K file.  I'm guessing it won't do that.  Any ideas short of actually transcoding my 192K files?  I always depended on Audirvana to do that for me on the fly...

2 - I'm getting a number of unreadable files in Minimserver (on my Mac Mini for now, until I get the NAS), most of them were bad album cover pics.  (I used an old version of Yate to get rid of these bad pics, BTW, if anyone is having the same problem.  For some reason the current version of Yate won't do it...).  I got some "unexpected end of file" errors on one album, but it plays fine in Audirvana.  And one weird one:  "Error: ID3v2 tag has major version 32 in file Music Library/...., etc."  What's that about?

3 - This is forcing me to go through my library and clean it up.  There seem to be quite a lot of files that Minimserver isn't even seeing, nothing in the log, but not showing up either.  I'll have to isolate some of them and see what that's about.

4 - Trying to play using wi-fi has not been good yet.  I keep getting little dropouts.  I only have my AT&T Uverse router for my wireless, and I don't think it does 5GHz, I have to check.  That's probably the problem.  Wired ethernet works very well.

5 - The sound quality is still very bright on my system.  As I said before it may be showing up some problems in my system, but I'm not sure where to start looking.  Some albums sound absolutely fantastic, better than I ever heard.  For instance I have a hirez version of "Random Access Memories", Daft Punk, and it sounds better than it ever has.  The Gomez album I mentioned in a previous post sounds better, except when the high end energy gets too hot, and mediocre recordings are sounding worse than they ever have.  Either my system or the Aries is very unforgiving, especially in the high end.  I still have a lot of experimenting to do. 

Is there a good FAQ or comprehensive wiki or tutorial for the Aries?  I've been wading through this thread and the CA thread, but it's tedious business with all the tangents we all tend to go on... and on... and on... :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #151 on: 28 Apr 2015, 02:17 am »
1- That's correct
2- Those are tagging issues that Yate can easily fix. I found that JRiver was more forgiving but I actually didn't have al the music in my library.  It missed a bunch too.  Now I use JRiver, Linn Kazoo and DSL and make sure they all match and most importantly check my NAS when i add an album. 
3-It's probably all tagging issues.  I had the same...8hrs and now I get a clean log and all files are there.
4-Yes, that's a network issue. 
5-Well, you're hearing a lot more probably but it's subjective. 
There really isn't but you can see the Firmware updates here.  USB HD Playback here.

abernardi

« Reply #152 on: 28 Apr 2015, 03:06 am »
DSL? - OH, LDS... :duh:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #153 on: 28 Apr 2015, 03:07 am »
DSL?
DS Lightning

It's late.  Too late.  Lightning DS

abernardi

« Reply #154 on: 28 Apr 2015, 03:19 am »
lol, I just modified my note to you as you were posting!

orientalexpress

« Reply #155 on: 28 Apr 2015, 03:23 am »
It sounds like the other folders aren't shared.  Maybe?

Check your Minimserver (through Minimwatch) log and it should like this:

Thank you ,that fix it

abernardi

« Reply #156 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:02 pm »
Another question: LDS says it's downloading cover art on the albums I don't have art for.  Is Minimserver doing this, or is LDS doing it?  And if it's LDS, do I have to keep the app running on the iPad, or does it do it even if I turn the iPad off?  Also, where is it storing the artwork that it finds?  So far I haven't noticed any new artwork.

A related question, when you have iTunes find artwork, I don't think it imbeds it in the file or puts it in the folder.  I believe it keeps it in a hidden folder somewhere else, is that right?  And therefore, will Aries "see" that artwork, or have to download new artwork?  THANKS!

santacore

« Reply #157 on: 7 May 2015, 11:01 pm »
My new Aries should be coming tomorrow. I would love to know what specific model Synologies you guys have had success with.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #158 on: 7 May 2015, 11:05 pm »
Any new Synology or Qnap will work fine. Just pick the one that suits your needs.

santacore

« Reply #159 on: 13 May 2015, 03:52 pm »
The Aries has been in and running for 5 days now. I couldn't get it to read my library drive through USB connection and could not figure out how to connect to existing mac mini, so I've just been enjoying internet radio only. That said, the internet radio has been a kick to explore.

My new Synology drive came in yesterday. Do you guys have any tips for setup on a mac based system?

Thanks,

John