More stuff on the bay

martyo

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
Re: More stuff on the bay
« Reply #121 on: 8 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm »
An Omega II tuner was produced around 1992-1994 and I believe to be a 3rd or 4th generation design.  I have an Omega II in a hafler chassis.  To me, it sounds better than my FM3.

Regards,
Dean

dB Cooper

« Reply #122 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:32 am »
Is this better than the 1st generation modded Dynaco?
Depends what you mean by "modded Dynaco". AVA produced at least one FM5-based design which retained the original Dynaco boards. If we mean that one, then definitely. There were later versions which used AVA board sets, retaining only the original FM front end. AVA always referred to these as "rebuilt", not "modified". This would probably be a horse race. I had a FET Three Plus tuner, with the AVA boards, and when people heard my system, their eyebrows would go up like Mr. Spock when they found out they were listening to FM. I stupidly sold it during a fit of upgraditis.

avahifi

« Reply #123 on: 9 Jun 2014, 02:58 pm »
The Philips FT-920 was a very useful tuner.  It was both FM stereo and AM and had about 30 nonvolatile presets and good sensitivity.  It's downfall was its audio output circuits.  These consisted of one 25 cent surface mount transistor per channel. The result was another low-fi sounding tuner.

Our fix was pretty easy - - -  a complete new AVA audio circuit, with its own self contained power supply.  Our audio circuits evolved over the years from the original Omega series to the current Insight Plus designs.  We can still upgrade an older good working FT-920, either an original or with our older circuits.

However the best tuner we did, and one I still use here, is our Super Tuner Two circuits, all new boards and all, for a Dyna FM-5 tuner.  We made major improvements in these in recent years by replacing all of the unity gain current buffers with LME49600 super buffers.  These are kind of a necessary kludge into our circuit boards, which were designed for 8 or 10 pin current buffers, while the LME49600 is a 5 pin surface mount device.  However the sonic quality of the Super Tuner Two with LME49600s is pretty amazing.

Unfortunately the Dyna FM-5 tuners are very old now and not many are in good working order (the front end assembly is not replaceable or repairable) often dies and then the tuner is done for.  Our replacement board set is long out of production so we can't do the upgrades any more.

But I won't part with mine.  You would have to hear this one here to believe it.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #124 on: 9 Jun 2014, 08:21 pm »
I have one of those Super Tuner Two. Frank did the super buffers to it. Pretty Amazing is a good way to say it! Every day when I turn it on I hope the front end keeps living!

:smoke:

mark funk

« Reply #125 on: 2 Jul 2014, 10:17 am »
How about these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Sale-for-Parts-2-Dynaco-Mk-4-Tube-Power-Amplifier-Van-Alstine-ST70-Trans-/191229842342?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

avahifi

« Reply #126 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:25 pm »
Mark IV amps in pieces?  A pig in a poke for sure.

There was nothing magic about our custom power transformer for the ST-70.  We tooled one production run only because back them 5AR4 rectifier tubes became unavailable for a while.  We designed it with lower high current high voltage taps to make up for the fact that the rectifier tube takes about a 50V forward drop, and using diodes in the original ST-70 layout makes the B+ voltages go 50V too high -- higher then the tube ratings and many of the capacitor ratings.  Bad for reliability for sure.

By the time we ran through our available transformers, 5AR4s were available again, making a reorder of these special power transformers redundant.

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #127 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:05 pm »
What do you think,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-BY-VAN-ALSTINE-ULTRA-FET-VALVE-550-TUBE-HYBRID-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/351202157077?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:1120

avahifi

« Reply #128 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:34 pm »
This one, a Fet Valve 500HC, is a real "golden oldie".  We built in back in 1997 in Burnsville.  It is about 16 years old now.

It does not have any of the current improvements.  It still has the original and now obsolete Hitachi output transistors, and does not have regulated power supplies or any other improvements made over then years.  It will still be a nice sounding amp but without the power, transparency, dynamic range, and engagement of our current Fet Valve 600R.

However we can still do the full Fet Valve 600R upgrade to this amp (the only parts salvaged are the case, some hardware, and the power transformer) for $2000 so if one could buy it at a low price it would be an economic way to have a $3200 Fet Valve 600R for a much lower price, complete with new AVA three year parts and labor warranty.

Frank

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #129 on: 8 Jan 2015, 10:11 pm »
My brother is putting his Omega Star Dyna 400 amp up for sale on ebay.

He also selling his PAT5 pre-amp.  It has a Insight+ line section, an Omega Star phono section with a updated power supply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-Stereo-400-Power-Amp-W-Omega-Star-400-circuit-upgrade-by-AVAHIFI-/251785011341?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a9f8e608d

Regards,
Dean

mark funk

« Reply #130 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:18 pm »
Some one been playing,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-by-Van-Alstine-Line-Stage-PCB-Stuffed-OPA-627-Op-Amp-Black-Gates-/291410869746?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:1120

avahifi

« Reply #131 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:47 pm »
This one is really curious as to the best of my knowledge, we have never sold or released this bare board and the stuffing guide for it outside of our shop.

With all non-stock parts I can give no assurance it will work properly, especially with lower capacitor values and surface mount ICs.

Frank Van Alstine

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #132 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:28 pm »
To say nothing of sloppy soldering... :nono:

mark funk

« Reply #133 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:14 pm »
Hmm?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estans-By-Van-Alstine-Turntable-Cartridge-/171823551081?

avahifi

« Reply #134 on: 13 Jun 2015, 08:47 pm »
Well!  A phono cartridge I tweeked about 40 years ago or so.  Without a working stylus its worthless.

Frank

sfox7076

« Reply #135 on: 21 Jul 2015, 04:25 am »
Going to post my Ultimate 70 on the Bay in a few days.  Wife wants my extra stuff out of the office.  Sigh.  Hate to see it go, but I have gone in another direction.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

sfox7076

« Reply #138 on: 18 Sep 2015, 02:19 am »
I have left my Ultimate 70 sit on Craigslist for now.  Don't feel like dealing with EBAY.