Warpspeed Optocoupler

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #120 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:10 pm »
I'd like to congratulate Allan on another milestone: the V4x2 model.  This model has two inputs and two (parallel) outputs.

What a coincidence! This is exactly the config I requested a quote on yesterday, except in my case the extra set of outputs is for sub(s). Oh, wait, I need remote. Eagerly awaiting the time when that option is available. Take your time, Allan. Catch up on orders and clear some time to perfect this option. I am a patient man. OTOH, I'm not getting any younger.  :bomb: 

Rclark

« Reply #121 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:26 pm »
If and when a remote comes, I'll be in line for a retrofit, but it sounds so good as is that without one, you simply don't care!

Thinking about painting my chassis as well, or maybe sending it in for the nice wood box. I live close, maybe I can just scoot it over and do it all in one day. ?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #122 on: 22 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm »
If and when a remote comes, I'll be in line for a retrofit, but it sounds so good as is that without one, you simply don't care!
some of us do care; i for one, won't have a preamp w/o remote wolume control.  i can concur, tho, that ldr attenuators are the real deal and are fantastic!   8)

doug s.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #123 on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:21 am »
There's been a healthy response and queries for kits lately...for everyone's convenience and info please read on...

For all that are interested in building a kit, please be aware that the kit requires experience in soldering, circuit wiring/analysis, and assembly of a box with connectors/switch, etc. to complete. Additionally, a battery power supply is needed.

The kit comes with just the basic electronics -Quad matched optos, the WarpSquid, a Pot, and a very straightforward instruction manual(not step-by-step) -there is no circuit board. TrungT, with his good heart, listed somewhere on this Thread or is it on the Dodd(?), other parts that will be required. Please take time to research before commiting to a kit. The kit thread is at diyA.

Pitfalls in building is the recommended direct soldering onto the RCAs which require soldering dexterity and control of the hot iron in a tight space. Also, the optos are very fragile when too much heat is applied and will readily fail. The last thing I would like to do is for you trying to have me replace "defective" optos or to be buying a new set of matched optos to replace burnt ones...in my eyes a quad matched set is a very precious commodity.

The kit is only for Unbal or single-ended stereo connection and 1-input. The V4, V8 and sub-options are for the fully-built products that I offer only -chassis parts are not offered. The kit is for DIY only or a friend maybe can do it for you for beer and barbeque at your place :)

Rclark

« Reply #124 on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:46 am »
Honestly the retail units, besides being drop dead gorgeous, are not as pricy as you might think. If I hadn't been able to get mine built, I would have saved a bit more for the retail version, no problem. Either way, I was sold in the first minute and had to have my own. I think the rest on the tour will agree once they try the demo :)

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #125 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:39 am »
John and Reza, thanks for the praise and kind words...

Here are better pics of InfernoSTi's V4x2...with the regular Sasquatch feet.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #126 on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm »
Just pm'd you and ejfud...Thanks for the great review Matt!

Please pm/email Matt about the Tranquility DAC issue and the solution we came up with. I think their SE version doesn't have the same output caps...

I have the Tranquility SE. What is the story about the non-cooperation between the standard Tranquility?  My friend has a passive preamp that didn't work well with the standard Tranquility either.

My kit is now up and running on a "test system".   :thumb: I will check it out in the main rig, with the Tranquility SE...

-Tony

ejfud

« Reply #127 on: 24 Oct 2011, 08:32 pm »
It's here and it's in the system. More later.

Rclark

« Reply #128 on: 24 Oct 2011, 09:12 pm »
Ooooooh that is a sweet looking rig.

gooberdude

« Reply #129 on: 24 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm »
EJFUD, feel free to pull out the little cardboard thing from the volume knob...its only for shipping, to fill the gap behind the knob.  Glad it arrived on time & in good shape.  Remember to spin the volume knob 2 entire rotations before any sound comes out...a little weird at first.

TraderXfan, it appears the standard Tranquility had a few design issues that were worked out in the SE version.  Compatibility w/passives (on the std dac) requires changing a capacitor.  Not certain yet whether i'll go this route, or just buy a new dac soon.  The guys at computeraudiophile.com got it figured out some time ago.

matt

ejfud

« Reply #130 on: 24 Oct 2011, 11:54 pm »
That knob info would have saved me a few minutes of panic when I first hooked them up! :lol:

I left the cardboard because it made me laugh.

The amplifiers are single ended el84 and very nice. They were built and belong to a friend. The speakers are my rendition of the Saba Greencones in a resonating cabinet. Very nice in my small room.

First impressions are very positive.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #131 on: 25 Oct 2011, 12:48 am »
Ooooooh that is a sweet looking rig.

Oooh la la! I agree...

How's the battery holding up?

ejfud

« Reply #132 on: 25 Oct 2011, 09:00 pm »
How does one tell if the battery is going bad?

Sounds great by the way.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #133 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:15 pm »
You need a DC voltmeter to measure voltage on one of the batteries...replace when at 6V or so. All 4 are in parallel so will measure all the same.

Sounds great by the way.
Aaah-hem...

jlafrenz

« Reply #134 on: 26 Oct 2011, 12:36 am »
Has anyone compared this unit to the Goldpoint units?

Rclark

« Reply #135 on: 26 Oct 2011, 04:37 am »
GoldPoint attenuators? Guessing it would be like comparing a steam engine to an electromagnetic bullet train. I haven't heard one but from the looks of it they are a pretty common attenuator of the type you can get anywhere, these WS are a whole new technology. I bet someone will have used a Goldpoint and an LDR of some type and can comment.

rodge827

« Reply #136 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:45 pm »

Hi All ,

For those of us who missed getting on the current T@W tour, Allan is willing to extend the tour if there is enough interest.  8)

If you are interested in demoing this fine piece of gear send your contact info to Allan (Warpspeed CE) via his email link, to form a second tour.

The tour would continue from the last recipient on the first list. :D

Regards,

Chris

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #137 on: 28 Oct 2011, 07:58 pm »
Thanks for your interest, Chris.

I encourage anyone wanting to demo to please email with your complete shipping address and email address. Once this 2nd list has grown I'll consolidate it and we can keep going after the 1st...I'd rather have it continue on to another than get it shipped back to me.

The shipping is flat rate $14.50 so we can have the neutrino criss-cross the US however many times...

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #138 on: 3 Nov 2011, 05:47 am »
...Oh, wait, I need remote. Eagerly awaiting the time when that option is available...

Ted, and others who have been rattling my cage...work is on to develop the RC option. Like I've been posting before, it's quite a pricey proposition because I do not want to compromise on the motorized high precision potentiometer. This is the only way I want to go to keep the precision, accuracy, repeatability, and the step resolution to deliver controlled power to the optocouplers. With it I am able to optimize an optocoupler's full response curve from totally OFF to fully ON, which gives the Warpspeed the gradual increase/decrease of volume level that we have.

Expected availability is Feb 2012...thank you all! 

Rclark

« Reply #139 on: 3 Nov 2011, 06:19 am »

Guys I'll say it again because it's worth repeating. I love being able to use a remote, and I was using one for volume, right up until the WS. But honestly what the Neutrino brings to the table, you just don't care. And besides, it's just so easy to set the volume you want, and go from there. It's really not an issue. I actually like it, there's a sense of old school meets very high tech. I admit, a remote would be nice, but I've come to realize that for volume control, it's not super critical unless you need to adjust the volume constantly, which shouldn't be the case.