If you were me, which tripod would you get?

viggen

If you were me, which tripod would you get?
« on: 29 Sep 2014, 06:15 pm »
I am stuck between these two.

1) Gitzo GT1840 Basalt: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W08I50/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5P685FOISDSV

2) Manfrotto 190CXPRO4: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015MHY6K/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Both about the same price on amazon.  My cheap dolica didn't do the job in windy conditions so want to upgrade my travel tripod.

Got a Manfrotto 484RC2 head to go with either one.  I am leaning towards the Gitzo.  Cuz, it's a Gitzo.  The Manfrotto is newer.  Carbon vs Basalt thing too.  Gitzo is basalt whereas Manfrotto is carbon.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: If you were me, which tripod would you get?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:38 pm »
Most of my 'pods are Manfrotto/Bogen but I can't afford the CF tripods.  I DO recommend a better ball head, made by Slik, usually see under the Canon label.  I buy up every one I find.  Built like a tank, simple, great for medium format and larger gear.  Here's on the 'bay, but his BIN price is nuts!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Canon-Ball-Head-with-Arca-Swiss-Style-Quick-Release-Clamp-/251661477405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9831661d

Just my experience……………...:thumb:

steve f

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:54 pm »
I've done a lot of 4X5 view field camera work. I don't have any big favorite, but I am anti Gitzo. I feel it's an overpriced mediocre unit. Just an old former pro opinion. 

The factors I found important are stability, as light weight as possible, a head and legs that are very easy to lock or unlock, and ease of cleaning.

Steve

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:38 pm »
Still working at photography for my living and I'm a Gitzo fan myself. They are pricy, but for twenty years mine has been rock solid reliable and the only maintenance it's needed is new locking collars for the legs (worn out from so many years of using in dusty and sandy outdoor environments.) I do agree that it could be lighter.:lol:

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2014, 10:11 pm »
Either one is fine. I agree with thunderbrick -- you really need a much higher quality head. If you use your 484RC2 ballhead on a Gitzo, for example, it would be analogous to buying a high end integrated amp, but the source is a $79 DVD player.

BruceW

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm »
Thanks for the tips regarding the tripod guys.

I didn't mention what camera I use and not sure whether it's a factor in how good of a ball head I need? 

I use a D7000 Nikon and 17-55mm lens is pretty much my heaviest one.  What am I getting by going with a better head?

Thought to ask because I really like the ball head I have right now and not sure what I am missing out on.

Oh, and I do understand the Gitzo stuff is pricy and might be over priced.  The model I linked is a much discounted discontinued model is seems to be priced in line with current Manfrotto products.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2014, 10:52 pm »

I didn't mention what camera I use and not sure whether it's a factor in how good of a ball head I need? 

I use a D7000 Nikon and 17-55mm lens is pretty much my heaviest one.  What am I getting by going with a better head?

Thought to ask because I really like the ball head I have right now and not sure what I am missing out on.

Oh, and I do understand the Gitzo stuff is pricy and might be over priced.  The model I linked is a much discounted discontinued model is seems to be priced in line with current Manfrotto products.

Hi viggen.
The following is not word of God,
but I've been Manfrotto exclusive distributor/retailer since 1995 for Vietnam.
I personally use for my Nikon D200 and Mamiya 645E an old 190XB tripod with a 496RC2 ball head.
According to my experience in selling, using and repairing Manfrotto products,
I can say that Manfrotto offer a good quality/price ratio.
I don't really see the advantage of Carbon Fiber,
they are not even half the weight and they cost almost double the price.
I agree that Gitzo is overpriced and yes, they might be better built,
but if money is not object, then go for it.
I would not, even if I had the money.
The Manfrotto combo MT190XPRO3 and 496RC2 is good for your Nikon D7000.
If weight is not a problem and later on you want to upgrade your camera,
then a MT055XPRO3 with a 498RC2 ball head would be better,
but not necessary.
The 498RC2 has a panoramic feature.
I know that Manfrotto can be easily be repaired.
The above suggestions are based on my personal experience,
plus almost 20 years of sales and service of Manfrotto products.
You cannot go wrong with Manfrotto
and it's not because I am exclusive distributor  Manfrotto products,
but we see many customers coming to us because they can't get their
competitor's tripod repaired or broke easily.
I hope this help.

Guy 13

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2014, 11:40 pm »

Cheaper ball heads tend to "creep." Once you put weight on them, they'll move when you don't want them to, even when tightened down. Better ball heads are also "smoother" and easier to position quickly so you don't miss the shot. For instance, with a really good ballhead, you can adjust the head without untightening then re-tighting the ball, and it will stay put. It's hard to explain, but visit your nearest photography store or borrow your buddy's quality ballhead and you'll almost immediately recognize the differences. When it comes to ballheads, you get what you pay for. 

The first time you miss a potentially great shot because you were fumbling around with adjusting your head, you'll wish you would have purchased the better gear from the beginning.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:07 am »
Here's a bargain!  I'd buy it but I no longer use Paypal and he won't take a MO.   :cuss:.  And it ends in a few hours.  Rock solid, locks quickly, fit's a MAN's hands, and I don't like quick release.  I have three of these and love 'em.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181535620891

That 17-55 will be well matched with this head.  I used them for years under a Hasselblad for weddings and scenic work.

BUY IT!    :thumb:

viggen

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:26 am »
TB but i use my quick release quite often...  manfrotto's qr is very good.  i wouldn't be so high on qr if i weren't using manfrotto.

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:28 am »
early b - i don't experience creep or am experiencing not smooth ball action.  but will try to find a store that stocks higher end equipment to try out.  those are fewer and father in between now. 

i guess i can start with the tripod then upgrade the head later too.

viggen

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:48 am »
guy - service is certainly an issue and manfrotto seems to have more of a presence here than gitzo does. 

leaning towards manfrotto because it's slightly lighter and easier to service if need.  gitzo's payload weight is a bit higher and looks better. 

ThuanDB

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2014, 06:44 am »
Look into Induro tripods.  They compete favorably with Manfrotto and Gitzo.  Their aluminum and carbon lines are both awesome.

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2014, 07:18 am »
Hi viggen.
For the last 20 years I've been selling the Manfrotto tripods and heads (Lots of different models) and I do the repair myself for the customer, very easy.
If a ball head is seized, you can take it apart within a minute or two, clean it, grease it and put it back together, the same goes for the tripods.
Here the Vietnamese break everything, therefore I did lots of repair, but I find that Manfrotto is quite durable and easy to repair. The quick release plate is really an advantage, because it's so fast to take off the camera from the head.
Lots and lots of camera stores sell Manfrotto and can get from the importer repair parts, I cannot say the same with other manufacturers. I've been offered several different make of tripods and heads and I've tried their sample, but I've always came back to Manfrotto.
Good luck in your search.

Guy 13

Maritan

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2014, 02:13 pm »
Look at 3 Legged Thing. Seems to be a good combination of price, features (can get ball head with a tripod as a package to save money) and quality. I've used it a few times with my m4/3 camera and the results indicate that it's been really stable.

Lastly, what swayed me was the height I could get with mine. If I needed to, I could easily have the camera at eye level (I'm 6' tall) instead of having to be hunched over while I composed the shot. Most tripods, especially travel tripods, in my search seemed to sacrifice a little of the height achievable to keep weight down a bit.

The other thing is plate (I think it's called) compatibility. If you get an Arca-Swiss style plate (or already probably have one), you can get on and off a ball head easily. With arca-Swiss compatibility, your choice of ball heads will open quite a bit.

Good luck!

viggen

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2014, 10:58 pm »
oh I ended getting a Velbon Voxi.