Bryston Loudspeakers

CoolPool

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2480 on: 31 Oct 2016, 05:17 pm »
Hi James,
Williams2 was kind enough to direct me here from avsforums and I thought I should tell you I'm quite looking forward to taking delivery of my T On Walls soon. As far as installation goes should I set them up with any toe-in or mount them flat? They will be almost 7 feet apart from center and my listening distance is 11 ft. I'm looking to replace my center channel some time in the New Year and wanted to know if the AC-1 Mini would be a better match for the TOWs. I'm running these off an Onkyo TX-NR646 for now but once the dedicated home theatre is in place will be running separates.

FWIW, I really like the new grilles on the T in the photos.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2481 on: 31 Oct 2016, 07:35 pm »
Hi James,
Williams2 was kind enough to direct me here from avsforums and I thought I should tell you I'm quite looking forward to taking delivery of my T On Walls soon. As far as installation goes should I set them up with any toe-in or mount them flat? They will be almost 7 feet apart from center and my listening distance is 11 ft. I'm looking to replace my center channel some time in the New Year and wanted to know if the AC-1 Mini would be a better match for the TOWs. I'm running these off an Onkyo TX-NR646 for now but once the dedicated home theatre is in place will be running separates.

FWIW, I really like the new grilles on the T in the photos.

Well thank william2 for me please. :thumb:

The Bryston speakers have very wide dispersion so mounting flat is fine.

Yes the tonal characteristics of a speaker are a function of its polar response so the AC-1 mini or AC1 depending on your left and right speakers would be the better match.

Yes I was trying out the new looking grills at the show to see what the response would be. - not that any self respecting audiophile would leave the grills on aye :lol:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2482 on: 31 Oct 2016, 07:38 pm »
PS - speaking of AVS Forums:

I think this is the most extensive review I have ever recieved at an audio show !!!  :thumb:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2628385-bryston-model-t-active-loudspeaker-system-taves-2016-a.html

CoolPool

« Reply #2483 on: 31 Oct 2016, 09:16 pm »
Nice! The TOWs will be my main speakers for now. This is in a relatively small room (15x15) and free standing towers (or bookshelves on stands) can't be done with my setup. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly; I'll be talking to Mike at Audio Ark in the New year then!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2484 on: 1 Nov 2016, 07:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

What do you think of this grill design for the Model T Actives?

« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2016, 04:14 pm by James Tanner »

spotlightaudio

« Reply #2485 on: 1 Nov 2016, 09:40 pm »
Much better than the originals  :thumb:

bud1451

« Reply #2486 on: 2 Nov 2016, 12:16 am »
Will they will work on existing Model T....any pricing yet?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2487 on: 2 Nov 2016, 12:32 am »
Will they will work on existing Model T....any pricing yet?

Hi

No sorry the magnets would be in different locations.

james

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2488 on: 2 Nov 2016, 01:32 am »
I'm honestly not too fond of the trapezoidal shape... but can we get a side-by-side with the original?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2489 on: 2 Nov 2016, 07:25 am »

...first impression is that i would go for the older design :scratch:

and yes, a side by side is a good idea.

al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2490 on: 2 Nov 2016, 11:24 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: TAVES Hi-Fi Show 2016 – Bryston Demo

BRYSTON BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover

I ended up making it to the show on Sunday.

The Bryston room had their Model T speaker running with their new digital crossover. Triamped.

The digital crossover has their discrete input circuitry and their discrete output circuitry. Which automatically puts it a step beyond all other digital crossovers I've dealt with.

This combo ended up being one of the best sounds at the show.

I (currently) personally do not like digital crossovers, at all, as none of them are close enough to being done right. Until now.

This is the closest I've heard yet, when compared to analog/passive that is done right.

Teo Audio

tie_breaker

« Reply #2491 on: 2 Nov 2016, 06:11 pm »
...first impression is that i would go for the older design :scratch:

agreed, older design....

witchdoctor

Bedrock Stands for Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2492 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:10 am »
I am going through this thread reading about the Mini T and Mini A and although I don't own them I see comments about the bass, room interaction, break in periods, etc. I wanted to share a stand that will make a HUGE difference with book shelf speakers in general. I use the Bedrock Stands from Mapleshade with a three way speaker that is about the size of the Mini T and it improved the already excellent sound immensely.
Here is a link to the review I posted. The stands are still going strong. They are supporting my L and R speakers in the pic below. The tall stands are for my height channels in my auro 3D setup:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3251.msg26863#msg26863

witchdoctor

3D Audio and Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2493 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:22 am »
Anyone considering immersive audio via atmos, dts-x and auro 3d should consider a system of 4 mini t's , a tc 1, and then 4 mini a's as height channels either on tall stands like in my pic or wall mounted above your bed channels. I think it would be a killer setup.
James. it would make for a WONDERFUL demo at your next show or in a showroom. If you are going to add 3D audio in your next processor I would recommend including auro 3d or possibly harman's quantum logic which is only available in their pro gear so far. Atmos and DTS-X are fine for movies but lame for music upmixing.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2494 on: 7 Nov 2016, 01:37 am »
BTW, I just noticed the Sound and Vision review on the Mini T also liked the speakers near the floor which aligns with my suggestion of using the bedrock stands which keeps the speakers near the floor:

"Since these hefty speakers extend quite far into the true bass region, the first order of business was to find the location for the smoothest lows.Not very surprisingly, this turned out to be rather more than 7 feet out into the room; any closer to the wall, bass emphasis tended to be problematic, a phenomenon I’ve noticed before in my room when using stand-mounted speakers with extended low end. (The Mini Ts sounded great directly on the floor, quite near the wall but well in from the corners—thus minimizing the floor-bounce-induced dip—but this was totally impractical for a home theater layout. Maybe in a music-only system with floor-cushion seating…)"

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/bryston-mini-t-speaker-system

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2495 on: 7 Nov 2016, 06:46 pm »
Hi there

The finish on the A2 real wood cherry speakers what do you use to clean or replentish the shene ?

Greg Carlson

Hi Greg,

For just cleaning them Windex works well. 

To give the finish a shine lift we would suggest Meguire’s clear coat spot shine.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18116-polishing-compound/#oVSpXgAtwcWd2yuA.97

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2496 on: 22 Nov 2016, 04:27 pm »
Dear Mr. Tanner:

I don't recall that we have ever met, but I've been in the audio business since 2000.

I sold Bryston from 2000-2003 when I worked at Audio/Video Showcase in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Now I am at Paragon Sight & Sound.

I was fortunate to purchase a pair of Bryston Mini T speakers from EMI systems - who was your Michigan representative. The Minis are the ideal speakers to sit at each end of my BDI low-boy stand, so I jumped at the opportunity to grab them! I cannot believe how full-range these speakers sound for the relatively small cabinet volume.

Very impressive engineering!

Ryan Hansen
Sales, System Design

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2497 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:19 pm »
Hi Pascal

How did you make out with the Mini T speakers at Audio Ark?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2498 on: 9 Jan 2017, 12:08 am »
SUBJECT:  Bryston Mini A Speaker – Customer Feedback

January 2017

Hi Folks,

Hi James

I have been listening to the Mini A speakers for about a week now. I would like to give you some of my personal feedback.

BRYSTON MINI A SPEAKERS - NATURAL CHERRY

These speakers have excellent imaging and the sound stage is both wide and deep. The bass is very detailed with no boomy sound. They seem to be very tolerant to speaker location not having a major impact on sound quality.

Bottom line the Mini A’s are an incredible speaker for the money.

I bought the speakers without listening to them, but spending a week with the Mini A I know I made the right decision.

I'm looking forward to getting the mini T, TC1 and the Mini T sub.

Cheers
Joe Cappello

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2499 on: 15 Jan 2017, 05:31 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini T Speakers - Feedback

January 2016

Bryston Mini-T (Initial impressions)

Thanks to Ivan, I am now the proud new owner of a set of Bryston Mini-T's

I received them Friday the thirteenth (I know, if I was superstitious, I wouldn't do anything until Saturday, however I couldn't wait), took tons of pictures of the unboxing and set up, once I had them in place and ready to go, I turned on my stereo system and away we went.

I had my Sonus Faber' as my front speakers previously and a REL III for deep bass. Over the couple of years of having this set up, there was a distinct noticeable unblended sound with this configuration.

I have used my Pioneer MCACC to balance them and tuned per the directions both in the REL III manual, as well as, Simko online directions on how to properly set the REL III for harmonious play with a set of speakers.

Unfortunately, I never found a blended sound, the REL stood out by itself as it was always a noticeable separation between the two; or there was an inherent lack of bass when I de-tuned the REL to much.

Fast forward to Friday (1/13), I slowly built the Target Audio stands, even using a square to make sure the posts are all perfectly aligned. (I'm a little OCD). I then bothered Ivan trying to figure out how to properly attach the Mini-T's to these incredible speaker stands...Once I got clear guidance on how to mechanically attach the Mini-T's to the Target Audio MR stands. I set the speakers where I thought they would sound best and fired up the system. I put n a CD recommended by Ivan (Hell Freezes Over (K2 HD Master Import) and started listening, I did not use the Pioneer MCACC set up prior.

My first immediate impressions was that the REL had disappeared it had somehow disappeared or blended seamlessly into the soundstage. There was a clear harmonious sound, then the overall sound/voices/instruments were crisp, clear, and flowed smoothly out of the enclosures. I played the CD at a soft low volume to not hurt/damage the speaker (I'm nervous, never spent this kind of money for a set of speakers) I listened to the entire CD and was just amazed how it sounded...Then came a multi-channel bluray of Chris Botti at Boston, what a sonic inspiration. I can't wait for the speakers to settle in and then really enjoy the sound...I can't wait to use the Pioneer to truly set the soundstage and get the delays, the balance, and the presence set for the entire system.

Unknowingly, I started a religious war on asking a question about the speakers burn in (didn't know this was taboo, like asking what oil to use in a motorcycle on other forums) It does however make sense that the materials used in anything new require some period of time to break in, settle in, or burn in. So, I am running the Mini-T' as much as I can to get them a little loosed up to then enjoy some rather louder music.

Finally, I am just in ‘AWE’ of the incredible sound, clarity, and how the Mini-T’s immediately blended without any adjustment or modifications, I can only imagine what these speakers will do and will sound once they settle in and get configured to harmoniously integrate all the pieces to make an incredible audio and video dream...

I currently have roughly 20 hours on the speakers and they appear to be presenting a well-rounded sound, going to watch Black Hawk Down this afternoon and see how that sounds...

Joe Schmoe 

Pioneer SC-65 (as pre-amp), Anthem PVA-7, Bryston Mini-T Speakers, Sonus Faber Concertino Speakers, Sonus Faber Solo Center Channel Speaker, REL Stadium III Sub-Bass System, Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray, Synology DS412+, and Sonos.