Bicycling On-the-Road

tybee

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1240 on: 5 Mar 2014, 01:37 am »
Glad to see everyone is preparing for 2014 riding.  I have already ridden 700 cold miles here in Tennessee this year completing a 50 mile hilly/headwind ride last weekend under 3 hours.  Not bad for someone approaching 70 not 60 and still working full time.  I have added another Lynskey/Sram to the stable and plan multiple centuries this year.  I am preparing for my 50th high school reunion in Indy where I will ride a bicycle  from middle Tennessee to Indy (300 plus miles) in three days weather permitting.

Happy 2014 Cycling!

AB

« Reply #1241 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:07 am »
I have a set of those wheels set aside for a new build too. They really are nice. Are those clinchers or tubulars?
But no new frame for me until Summer at least. I've decided to spend $$ on a long riding trip to Spain instead.
My crusty old bike will have to suffice.

Levi

« Reply #1242 on: 5 Mar 2014, 04:20 am »
Yup, winter is brutal here in New York as well.  I use Di2 9070 and so far so good!   :thumb:

LadyDog

« Reply #1243 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:36 am »
We'll 3 rides in 5 days.  Man my *** is killing me.  Serves me right for the long layoff. 

Come on Levi, I vicariously live though you.  New stuff, great rides, etc.

George, how's the weight coming?

Jack, getting your miles in?

Tvad, Paul, Chris, Others,  anything new or exciting?

AB

« Reply #1244 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:48 am »
Well I'm in Spain and have been for the past month. Lots of miles so far. It's been a gorgeous Spring and the weather has been great.

LadyDog

« Reply #1245 on: 19 Apr 2014, 03:06 am »
AB,
Please post some pictures.  Would love to see the landscape.  Have to say I am a bit jealous.  Above and beyond the scenery, would love to test these old legs against I'm sure some great climbs.

AB

« Reply #1246 on: 19 Apr 2014, 05:30 pm »
I'll upload a few pics that look interesting.
The landscape's changed a lot in the last few weeks - from dry, early spring to verdant green SPRING.
It's an amazing area in any case and it's the best riding environment I've ever come across.

AB

« Reply #1247 on: 19 Apr 2014, 06:32 pm »
More Pics from Girona area...

Fields of Rape Seed are everywhere.

Typical one lane rural road. Lots of riding available on these.

The Med from Sant Marti d'Impuries

Top of El Mont ( Mare de Deu del Mont) Lots of 10%+ climbing on this ride.

Looking South from El Mont to Banyoles Lake

Typical Village and Church.

LadyDog

« Reply #1248 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:00 pm »
Beautiful, thanks. 

jackman

« Reply #1249 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:10 pm »
AB,
Awesome pictures!  Thank you for posting. I love Spain and wish I had a bike when we visited. Lots of serious riders and pros on the roads when we were there. Travel safe, and feel free to continue to post pictures.

Jeff,
I hope you are still riding! I did a rough 50 miles yesterday and was dying when I returned home. I'm going out for 40 in a couple minutes. Feeling sore but not bad.

LadyDog

« Reply #1250 on: 28 Apr 2014, 06:16 pm »
We'll part of me is bummed I missed the Axpona show and meeting some of those I've gotten to know over the years.  Though on the positive side, I had committed myself to volunteering at a winery festival about an hour south.  Living in flat Indy, this is about as good as it gets.

So had some good vino(probably a little too much), plus some good mountains = legs are toast.

Here are few pictures of the weekend.  And some I pulled from the web to show how pretty it is in the fall time when the leaves are turning.  Great mountain bike scene too.

AB

« Reply #1251 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:02 pm »
A few pics from last week.

I took a break from riding and headed North to the renovated medieval city of Carcassonne in France.

Carcassonne France

These two pics are from the ride up to the Col de Banyuls which is on the border with France. The town way down those switch backs is Banyuls sur Mer

Looking back down the road into Spain.

The day after returning from France I lost the front end on a decreasing radius off camber corner at high speed - the FIRST corner of the day by the way. The resulting slam, bouncing bike and massive yard sale forced me to throw away my gloves, my helmet, my kit, my levers and spend my morning getting my busted collar bone sorted.

So that's that for riding this Spring.

I guess I'm going to try and heal up and go sight seeing in the Alps. Maybe in ten days?  :duh:

Levi

« Reply #1252 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:23 pm »
Nice pictures!

Just wondering what bike you have now AB?

Doublej

« Reply #1253 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:49 pm »

The day after returning from France I lost the front end on a decreasing radius off camber corner at high speed - the FIRST corner of the day by the way. The resulting slam, bouncing bike and massive yard sale forced me to throw away my gloves, my helmet, my kit, my levers and spend my morning getting my busted collar bone sorted.

So that's that for riding this Spring.

I guess I'm going to try and heal up and go sight seeing in the Alps. Maybe in ten days?  :duh:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the busted clavicle. Are you going to be able to let it heal naturally or are you going to have to get it Lance Armstrong'ed, e.g. have a clavicle plate put in?

LadyDog

« Reply #1254 on: 1 May 2014, 12:45 am »
AB,
Wow, sorry to hear of the accident.  Glad to hear you are reasonable ok though.  Heal fast.

Keep the beautiful pictures coming though. 

AB

« Reply #1255 on: 1 May 2014, 11:55 am »
Nice pictures!

Just wondering what bike you have now AB?

Same 7 year old Felt Z15. There are lots more scratched bits on it now.

AB

« Reply #1256 on: 1 May 2014, 12:03 pm »
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the busted clavicle. Are you going to be able to let it heal naturally or are you going to have to get it Lance Armstrong'ed, e.g. have a clavicle plate put in?

No Surgery just a sling and time. I'm sure I could find a Doc who would do something surgically but it's in about as good a position and as stable as it would be with surgery.

jackman

« Reply #1257 on: 1 May 2014, 12:17 pm »
AB,

I've really enjoyed your pictures and wish you the best in your recovery.  Broken collar bones are a PITA but are too common in cycling.  I broke mine and completely ripped out my AC Clavicle (separation/dislocation) years ago.  Unfortunately, the surgery was more painful than the injury. 

Best of luck to you!

Jack

Levi

« Reply #1258 on: 1 May 2014, 12:22 pm »
Heal well AB.

AB

« Reply #1259 on: 1 May 2014, 12:26 pm »
AB,

I've really enjoyed your pictures and wish you the best in your recovery.  Broken collar bones are a PITA but are too common in cycling.  I broke mine and completely ripped out my AC Clavicle (separation/dislocation) years ago.  Unfortunately, the surgery was more painful than the injury. 

Best of luck to you!

Jack

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, broken collar bone stories are everywhere there are cyclists. This one is not much of a story so I mostly just listen. But the road rash is killing me. No tegaderm here that I could find and the weeping and sticking to the sheets is getting old. ;-)

I went for a walk yesterday...
These are occasionally found in your "amanida" (salad).

Spring is very wet in this part of Spain.