TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

Markvdv

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #600 on: 17 Apr 2014, 03:30 pm »
Has anyone looked at the audiobah boards and figured out how to run them in monobloc mode?  I have 2 sitting here and hoping to use it as mono bloc mode or even turn the two Chengzhi boards into monobloc.
Chengzhi needs attention maybe??? what is all the extra circuit, what happens if you short things to earth in that extra circuit. audiobah is like TI evm board I think so connect both left inputs to ground (left=right side of chip) and use Rch+ and Lch- output, maybe also connect Rch- to Rch+ and same for Lch, datasheet TI:

MONO MODE (PBTL)
The TPA31xxD2 family can be connected in MONO mode enabling up to 100W output power. This is done by:
• Connect INPL and INNL directly to Ground (without capacitors) this sets the device in Mono mode during
power up.
• Connect OUTPR and OUTNR together for the positive speaker terminal and OUTNL and OUTPL together for
the negative terminal
• Analog input signal is applied to INPR and INNR

But again, many Chinese label Rch input as left channel, so look to chip: leftside chip is Rchannel both input and output sides:)

wired4sound

« Reply #601 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:15 pm »
Chengzhi did some noise prevention, resistors near input, a good thing most others neglected. Also seems the transitor on the right is mute circuit like the green audiobah. But 2 transistors on the left side, is he doing something with sdz chip-pin2 to alter startup time (and switch off time) maybe??? And what about the 2 added larger lytics, mmm... I did buy this pcb from alieexpress, but only cost money and never got pcb, alieexpress/alibaba ignore complaints, never respond, they did do a partial refund (they advertise full refund) but transfered the money to my bankaccount and guess what....transfer cost I had to pay were equal to the partial refund...lesson learnt, no more buying from alieexpress for me :D

Ordered this board http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1pc-TPA3116-Class-D-digital-amplifier-50W-50-W-with-Silent-Sleep-Design/1586764360.html in search of a module that does not make popping sound when turned off (currently has blue board). I have been using SMPS 19V power supply. Poultygeist indicated that a green board may have the silent feature so I searched at Aliexpress. This is my first time to order from Aliexpress, but if I have read your post prior to the order, I may not have pulled the trigger. I do not like dealing with scrupulous merchant. I wonder if others have the same exprerience. I hope to receive the module in 4 weeks.

lacro

« Reply #602 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:45 pm »
Ordered this board http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1pc-TPA3116-Class-D-digital-amplifier-50W-50-W-with-Silent-Sleep-Design/1586764360.html in search of a module that does not make popping sound when turned off (currently has blue board). I have been using SMPS 19V power supply. Poultygeist indicated that a green board may have the silent feature so I searched at Aliexpress. This is my first time to order from Aliexpress, but if I have read your post prior to the order, I may not have pulled the trigger. I do not like dealing with scrupulous merchant. I wonder if others have the same exprerience. I hope to receive the module in 4 weeks.

It looks like this board doesn't have a heat sink which I thought was required on the 50W boards. Also, the specs show 36db gain. Dealing with any of these foreign direct suppliers is a gamble. Even the most well known suppliers are not much help when you have a problem.

Markvdv

« Reply #603 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:59 pm »
This is another green board, layout could be better then audiobah's, but doesn't have transistor muting circuit like audiobah board. It is another seller, so not to worry too much. If seller is ok you don't ever need Aliexpress for anything...

wired4sound

« Reply #604 on: 17 Apr 2014, 05:15 pm »
It looks like this board doesn't have a heat sink which I thought was required on the 50W boards. Also, the specs show 36db gain. Dealing with any of these foreign direct suppliers is a gamble. Even the most well known suppliers are not much help when you have a problem.

I am a technical person per se, how does the 36db gain mean to the sound and reliability of the board? If heat sink is required on this board, is it something I can do myself? I think a special glue is needed to attach the heat sink.

To be fair with foreign merchants, I bought two blue boards from hiamplifier on ebay, and I am very happy with his service. The boards came less than two weeks from the order.  I think the guy running the store is Franky. When I asked for a schematic, he provided one for me. Unfortunately, he does not have the "silent" board.

wired4sound

« Reply #605 on: 17 Apr 2014, 05:19 pm »
This is another green board, layout could be better then audiobah's, but doesn't have transistor muting circuit like audiobah board. It is another seller, so not to worry too much. If seller is ok you don't ever need Aliexpress for anything...

If I understood the product description, it has a silent on/off feature, and transient voltage may be the culprit. But then it could be BS. I may be out of $14!

Markvdv

« Reply #606 on: 18 Apr 2014, 08:46 am »
The pop seems to be timing issue, so could be popfree by partselection? You have pop with hiamplifyer boards in PBTL ? In BTL I had, in PBTL I haven't noticed a pop....

wired4sound

« Reply #607 on: 18 Apr 2014, 07:15 pm »
The pop seems to be timing issue, so could be popfree by partselection? You have pop with hiamplifyer boards in PBTL ? In BTL I had, in PBTL I haven't noticed a pop....

The blue board I have is stock, therefore, BTL. I am hoping the green board will solve the popping problem. Also, just purchase Meanwell RS 150-24 SMPS, and hoping this may solve the issue--but probably not.

You mentioned from your previous post as to how make the blue board a mono amp. The procedure you described was the same from Class D audio manual when I built my 6-channel amp, if I recall correctly. I imagine this procedure can be done on almost any board?

I would like to create mono block of the blue board using the Meanwell power supply I just mentioned. It has two rails and rated for 6 amp. Would you mind posting a pic of your build? Just want to make sure I will do it correctly.

Anybody has any experience on using this particular power supply on two boards? Will 6 amp be enough?

Feedback will be appreciated!

Markvdv

« Reply #608 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:13 pm »
Sorry I misread your earlier post, hiamplifier sells blue/black boards too, I have the little board, his own design, yep ebay seller with own design lol. My board came without any parts so I don't have full pcb, just parts in plus and minus towards speakers. So I do not connect output -Rch to +Rch nor -Lc to +Lch. I also do not have parts in Lch input, so mine pcb's are different then. Most important  is if you want PBTL, is that tpa3116chip knows upon power on startup, meaning from chipside the Lch input pins,2,  should be shorted to gnd no caps should be connected, again Lch inputs are rightside of tpachip, to avoid chinese mistake LOL Speakers connected to output +Rch and -Lch will give full power then. Connecting/shorting outputs/parts in output, changes output filter for new situation, could be needed if protectioncircuit spoils normal operation, but most of times you won't notice when efficiency drops to 50% from 95%, SQ could be affected, it seems either way you get too much high freq when things are very wrong in outputfilter.

rhing

« Reply #609 on: 19 Apr 2014, 04:56 am »
Since I've made the prototype ChengZhi TPA3116 amp, I've noticed that the ChengZhi sounds smoother, more relaxed and more spacious than my slightly modified Yuan Jing blue amp. The only thing I did with the YJ was add a pair of 1,500uF / 25V Panasonic FM electrolytics next to the TPA chip. Last weekend, I was jamming to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" at really loud volumes using my YJ amp. On some of the more complex passages in "Time" and "Money," the music started to distort and sound really harsh. It wasn't musical at all, and I was a bit perplexed why I never heard this before, but this was the first time that I probably pushed over 100dB SPL in my man cave.

I've read where using too much capacitance close to the amp chip could be detrimental and it bugged me that the ChengZhi sounded so musical, so I decided to experiment with my Yuan Jing blue amp and replace the 1,500uF caps with a pair of 470uF / 35V Panasonic FM caps. The ChengZhi amp has a pair of 470uF / 25V caps that look like Sanyo Oscon caps, but they're some Chinese off brand. I also added a 2,200uF / 25V Panasonic FM on the power supply input terminal blocks. Just like the ChengZhi, the sound was smoother, more relaxed with a larger, deeper soundstage. I ended up spinning a bunch of new vinyl that I recently purchased and enjoyed the music since I had today off from work.

I'm not sure if what I heard was what some describe as ringing. The Texas Instruments TPA3116D2 datasheet shows a pair of 220uF caps for DC decoupling.

wushuliu

« Reply #610 on: 19 Apr 2014, 05:27 am »
Since I've made the prototype ChengZhi TPA3116 amp, I've noticed that the ChengZhi sounds smoother, more relaxed and more spacious than my slightly modified Yuan Jing blue amp. The only thing I did with the YJ was add a pair of 1,500uF / 25V Panasonic FM electrolytics next to the TPA chip. Last weekend, I was jamming to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" at really loud volumes using my YJ amp. On some of the more complex passages in "Time" and "Money," the music started to distort and sound really harsh. It wasn't musical at all, and I was a bit perplexed why I never heard this before, but this was the first time that I probably pushed over 100dB SPL in my man cave.

I've read where using too much capacitance close to the amp chip could be detrimental and it bugged me that the ChengZhi sounded so musical, so I decided to experiment with my Yuan Jing blue amp and replace the 1,500uF caps with a pair of 470uF / 35V Panasonic FM caps. The ChengZhi amp has a pair of 470uF / 25V caps that look like Sanyo Oscon caps, but they're some Chinese off brand. I also added a 2,200uF / 25V Panasonic FM on the power supply input terminal blocks. Just like the ChengZhi, the sound was smoother, more relaxed with a larger, deeper soundstage. I ended up spinning a bunch of new vinyl that I recently purchased and enjoyed the music since I had today off from work.

I'm not sure if what I heard was what some describe as ringing. The Texas Instruments TPA3116D2 datasheet shows a pair of 220uF caps for DC decoupling.

Interesting. May be worth trying out the lower value hybrid electrolytics (similar to organic polymer I believe) Saturnus mentioned in the diyaudio thread. I'll be getting some soon along with coilcraft inductors and basically replacing the board parts completely with a spare blue board for trying out different stuff.

sorry haven't responded to ur pm been super busy.

lo_tse

« Reply #611 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:30 pm »

This seems to be a nice board.  One  guy on the diyaudio forum is using two of these with his minidsp and like them.  This board is designed and made by ybdz (http;//ybdz.taobao.com).  You can actually buy them from the "original designer at TB".  However, the reseller that you are buying from is offering free shipping which is an excellent deal.  Mind you, the shipping charge to send the board to you could cost the vendor the same as he paid for the board!! For your information, the price at TB is about 7-8 US$.  Personally, I always prefer to buy from the "original designer/manufacture" of the product instead of a reseller since they are relatively more willing to support the product regarding questions and queries of the item. Obviously, they know more about the item than a reseller.  Unfortunately, you have to communicate with them in Chinese.  Before I forget, for this board, the inductors used in the output filter is 22 uH, which is more catered towards 8 ohm speakers (does not mean that it will not work with 4-6 ohm speakers).

The "extra" white 3-pin input next to the signal input is for muting and standby purposes and needed to be connected to another unit to be functional, I think. 

I think you will like this board.

Regards,

lo_tse

« Reply #612 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm »
Sorry I misread your earlier post, hiamplifier sells blue/black boards too, I have the little board, his own design, yep ebay seller with own design lol. My board came without any parts so I don't have full pcb, just parts in plus and minus towards speakers. So I do not connect output -Rch to +Rch nor -Lc to +Lch. I also do not have parts in Lch input, so mine pcb's are different then. Most important  is if you want PBTL, is that tpa3116chip knows upon power on startup, meaning from chipside the Lch input pins,2,  should be shorted to gnd no caps should be connected, again Lch inputs are rightside of tpachip, to avoid chinese mistake LOL Speakers connected to output +Rch and -Lch will give full power then. Connecting/shorting outputs/parts in output, changes output filter for new situation, could be needed if protectioncircuit spoils normal operation, but most of times you won't notice when efficiency drops to 50% from 95%, SQ could be affected, it seems either way you get too much high freq when things are very wrong in outputfilter.

Hiamplifier seems to be quite knowledgeable on audio electronics.  I think he designed/built/modified all the items that he sells on its Ebay shop.  He posts once in a blue moon on diyforum.  I am  thinking of ordering the 3116 board that he designed and sells as a kit (on ebay) so I do not have to do any desoldering.  The parts that come with the kit seems decent too.  Of course, the kit will cost more than the YJ blue/black board.  I am sure that one can get more detailed information on the board from Hiamplifier if run into trouble, if you buy from him.  As a disclaimer, I do not know him and has not bought from him before.  However, I have a few email exchanges with him on 3116 board and he was helpful and friendly. 

wushuliu

« Reply #613 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:47 pm »
Hiamplifier seems to be quite knowledgeable on audio electronics.  I think he designed/built/modified all the items that he sells on its Ebay shop.  He posts once in a blue moon on diyforum.  I am  thinking of ordering the 3116 board that he designed and sells as a kit (on ebay) so I do not have to do any desoldering.  The parts that come with the kit seems decent too.  Of course, the kit will cost more than the YJ blue/black board.  I am sure that one can get more detailed information on the board from Hiamplifier if run into trouble, if you buy from him.  As a disclaimer, I do not know him and has not bought from him before.  However, I have a few email exchanges with him on 3116 board and he was helpful and friendly.

Yes for a high quality stock board his look like maybe the best option. Especially for monoblocks.

ClefChef

« Reply #614 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:48 pm »
Here's my 3116 setup. I chose Preamp-Amp setup for more flexibility. Preamplifier has 2 switchable inputs, volume is controlled by 128-step relay attenuator, remote controls volume and on/off operation of preamp and amplifier via trigger cable. The amplifier is built on Audiobah "green" board with some modifications. It sounds glorious and looks cute. I even equipped the volume knob with led-lightpipe indicator for better position visibility. Notice how it sits snug between Aikido tube preamp and Wright 2a3 mono.

lo_tse

« Reply #615 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:49 pm »

Hmmm,  on the ybdz's TB store, the price of the amp includes a separate heat sink.  Many people commented that the chip never really gets that warm under regular use

Regards,

lacro

« Reply #616 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:58 pm »
  Many people commented that the chip never really gets that warm under regular use

Regards,

Well... Mine doesn't get warm either with a 12V PS. However, with the boards manufacturer recommended 24V PS the heatsink that came on the blue boards chip does get hot. I believe the sweet spot is 21V. Not sure if a 21V PS will keep chip cooler. Do the 19V laptop PS's keep the chip cool?

Markvdv

« Reply #617 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:10 pm »
I also noticed Hiamplifier added a gain resistorkit to blueboard and changed caps in outputfilter.

Oscillate

« Reply #618 on: 19 Apr 2014, 10:18 pm »
"MONO MODE (PBTL)
The TPA31xxD2 family can be connected in MONO mode enabling up
to 100W output power. This is done by:

• Connect INPL and INNL directly to Ground (without capacitors) this
sets the device in Mono mode during power up.
"

I have seen this stated in the Texas Instrument's info sheet for the TPA31xxD2
chip family as well. Since I have very little electronics knowledge ...could someone
please clarify 'which' ground it is that the left channel + & - inputs are connected to?
Where is the ground that you would physically connect to? Thanks.

lo_tse

« Reply #619 on: 19 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm »
Here's my 3116 setup. I chose Preamp-Amp setup for more flexibility. Preamplifier has 2 switchable inputs, volume is controlled by 128-step relay attenuator, remote controls volume and on/off operation of preamp and amplifier via trigger cable. The amplifier is built on Audiobah "green" board with some modifications. It sounds glorious and looks cute. I even equipped the volume knob with led-lightpipe indicator for better position visibility. Notice how it sits snug between Aikido tube preamp and Wright 2a3 mono.

That's a really nice setup.  Where did you get the chasis for the amp and preamp?  Can you elaborate on what kind of modifications you have done on the Audiobah green board and what is the PSU voltage?  I have two coming my way and will be here soon. Would like to know what sort of improvements and mods that have been done on the board.  Thanks!

Regards,