Led Zeppelin House of Holy Remaster

werd

Led Zeppelin House of Holy Remaster
« on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:32 pm »
One word GARBAGE! If this was remastered I will eat.... Horrible congested twangy guitars and drums. Nothing like 2 or 3 remasters at all.

Feel ripped off

vortrex

Re: Led Zeppelin House of Holy Remaster
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:48 pm »
That stinks.  I think the 2 and 3 remasters are comparable to the Classic reissues.  Was really hoping this would be the same.

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:57 pm »
That sucks, Houses of the Holy is one of my favorites.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2014, 06:17 pm »
I was really hoping this was going to come out like 2 and 3. It's just has not weight and there is no air. Sounds like country music

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2014, 06:17 pm »
I read an interview with the mastering engineer who worked with Jimmy Page on the LZ remastering project.  I was impressed with the quality of the gear they used and the level of care they invested in the project.  I wish the article was available on-line so I could post a link.

If the HOTH reissue is garbage, it's unfortunately due to a severe case of GIGO.

Russ

werd

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2014, 06:39 pm »
Well if they could fix Zeppelin  3 they can fix anything. They were lazy with it

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2014, 07:12 pm »
I am wondering if Jimmy shows any prejudice in the re-mix? More guitar, less Plant? Just asking

werd

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2014, 07:21 pm »
I have the Deluxe edition. If you are going to buy this get this one. It includes the original titles remastered. But it gives you Dancing Days - No Quarter -the Crunge in a rough mix format. They should have sold this as the remaster. It's better and less thought out.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:25 pm »
I was very hopeful.  Thanks for the post.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:53 pm »
The best recording is the Crunge on the "rough mix". What it does is it gets JPJ's bass playing into the mix. Gets it out and not a flat 2d sound that the all the other songs except "Rough mix" tracks are plagued with.
Dancing days included. It's like you get 3 songs off the album that are done decent. And that's only if you buy the Deluxe. The other version is a complete rip off.

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:57 pm »
How about IV (Zoso)?

werd

Re: Led Zeppelin Houses of Holy Remaster
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:13 pm »
 :lol: probably get it. They should be selling this Deluxe for the same price as the other one. It's like they jumped the bit rate on it, the original. Then gave you these extra songs in "rough mix" and "working mix" that can actually be considered remastered. except you do not get Dyer Maker redone. The extra remixes are better and not worthy of the dump I've been giving it.

mk61

« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm »
I was very disappointed with all the remasters, very digital, grainy and guitars too loud   Plant seems to be in the back somewhere and vocals are low, :x

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2014, 01:35 am »
No disagreement with Werd, other than it isn't garbage.  IMO, etc.

Compressed (yes but not awful), forward (yes), unlistenable (no).  The vocals are way more forward as is the overall soundstage compared to the 2 CDs I own of the LZ IV and HOH.  I prefer the new rendition, but not by much.  There is added clarity, vocals are more up front and intelligible, but that is about it.  Worth the money???

LZ IV is much better than HOH, IMO.

Mark

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2014, 06:49 am »
I think it sounds good.

The volume compression is light to moderate (avg DR of 10 as opposed to earlier CD reissues with average DR of 12), just like on the previous remasters of LZ 1-3 that came out in the summer.

rockadanny

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2014, 01:25 pm »
Cool. Thanks golf and fire!  :thumb:

k6davis

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:23 pm »
I'm enjoying it too. I disagree that there's no air.

What a great album this is.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2014, 06:01 pm »
Well,

Two days of listening to HOHr (houses of Holy remaster). I am going to have to agree with the negative reviewers.  It really seems like it brings forward both voice and selected instruments.  The remaster seems to "clean -up" and present a  more refined  presentation.  Maybe it will grow on me ( but I doubt it).

BobC

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:07 pm »
$29.99?  ouch

werd

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:08 pm »
$29.99?  ouch

It's too much