Firmware Updates - V2/2.1

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Firmware Updates
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jun 2016, 05:42 pm »
One more wish...

Sometimes the displays blink rapidly because of optical "noise" from the plasma, or even the way light shines through the window sometimes. The displays will blink rapidly forever unless you hit the middle button on the apple remote. If the preamp is in a mode other than normal/default where volume is adjusted and no input is given for 30 seconds the preamp should default back to normal setting. This would make the issue with optical noise much less of an issue.

I also covered the remote sensor with a layer of two of skivved teflon tape, which is tinted, and this keeps the issues with optical noise down but it's still an issue sometimes.

Hi Dave,

Do you know what rev firmware you have? When the unit powers up what are the first 3 digits shown on the right display....or in the case of rev 2 firmware what is the 3 digit number shown via both displays together? The reason I'm asking is I believe the latest firmware is less susceptible to noise than before. Yours would be a good test case to confirm/refute that. I don't have a plasma TV to bombard it with but I used to be able to get it to respond to a fluorescent lamp inches away from the IR receiver. Now it ignores it. 

Cheers,
Morten

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #81 on: 14 Jun 2016, 05:48 pm »
Hi Dave,

Do you know what rev firmware you have? When the unit powers up what is the first 3 digits show on the right display....or in the case of rev 2 firmware what is the 3 digit number show via both displays together? The reason I'm asking is I believe the latest firmware is less susceptible to noise than before. Yours would be a good test case to confirm/refute that. I don't have a plasma TV to bombard it with but I used to be able to get it to respond to a fluorescent lamp inches away from the IR receiver. Now it ignores it. 

Cheers,
Morten

Not sure exactly, but it must be the version right before the new release.

I'll do the update at some point but need an A to A USB cable, which is technically not supposed to exist but I know it's possible to get them.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 14 Jun 2016, 05:54 pm »
Not sure exactly, but it must be the version right before the new release.

I'll do the update at some point but need an A to A USB cable, which is technically not supposed to exist but I know it's possible to get them.
https://www.firefold.com/usb-cables-a

Or use an adapter.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #83 on: 14 Jun 2016, 06:00 pm »

They exist. I have a bunch in stock here. I'll pop one in the mail to you today. No charge.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #84 on: 14 Jun 2016, 06:18 pm »

They exist. I have a bunch in stock here. I'll pop one in the mail to you today. No charge.

Thanks, much appreciated!  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #85 on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:22 pm »
Most Recent Firmware Update | Version 2.2.5 | June 17, 2106

This purpose of this update is the addition of 2 new features that users have requested plus one minor bug fix that only applies to balanced preamps. As such this is not a critical update. This update skips a version (2.2.4) which was shipped in only a single preamp and included the Fix discussed below.

Hope springs eternal but I really think this will be the last iteration of the version 2.2 series for a while now. We've gone through the usual post-release bug kill and everything appears to be stable.

New: Fast Input Switching - While in Input adjust mode, user now has option to do use fast switching between inputs by using the Left/Right buttons on the remote rather than the normal Raise/Lower followed by Enter. When using the Left/Right buttons the inputs transition within less than a second without any muting/unmuting. When using fast switching the volume will immediately go the volume level last associated with the selected input.

New: Display Timeout - When in Display adjust mode user can now optionally set the time (in seconds) before display turns off after last user input. Adjustment is between 1 and 99 seconds using the Left/Right remote button. Setting timeout to zero (0) disables the timeout feature. Display timeout only works when in volume adjust mode and is disabled when in any other control mode such as input adjust, impedance adjust, display adjust etc. After updating you should check this setting since it may not be zero (off) by default.

Fix: Turn Off (Balanced Preamps) - The new preamp turn off function by pressing/holding the Menu button that introduced in version 2.2.3  was not working properly for balanced units. This update fixes that.

More Info On Fast Input Switching

Fast Input Switching was introduced at the request of users who wanted to be able to do A/B testing with difference sources. Fast input switching overrides the normal automatic and relatively slow sequence of first muting the current input, switching inputs, and then ramping the volume back up. Fast switching has only been tested with Tortuga preamps that use LDRs for input switching - we have not tested this with our DIY relays and kits.  LDRs are inherently slow switches compared to relays. While they turn on relatively quickly, they are much slower to turn off. Because of the slow turn off time, fast switching includes a brief transition delay of 200 milliseconds. This delay is barely perceptible but avoids any potentially harmful artifacts such as pops or bumps to your speakers. Users are cautioned to avoid switching between inputs where the current input is at a low volume level and the new input was previously at a high volume level. The preamp will abruptly go to the volume level last associated with the new input. As it does so the volume of the current input may surge slightly before it fully turns off.

Firmware info and downloads can be found here:  http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

doggie

« Reply #86 on: 18 Jun 2016, 08:11 pm »
Can you please point me to the updated Apple Remote instructions?

I successfully updated to the newest firmware to take advantage of the display timeout but cannot find the newest information.

I love my preamp and your service is fantastic but I find the Support web pages  to be very confusing. It might help to have the most current information on just the first page with just links to older information and DIY stuff.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #87 on: 18 Jun 2016, 09:32 pm »
Can you please point me to the updated Apple Remote instructions?

I successfully updated to the newest firmware to take advantage of the display timeout but cannot find the newest information.

I love my preamp and your service is fantastic but I find the Support web pages  to be very confusing. It might help to have the most current information on just the first page with just links to older information and DIY stuff.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul,

We just now finished updating the Apple Remote instructions so that they are current with rev 2.2.5.  You can access this section via this link: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#apple-2-2-x

Or...on at the top of documentation page just expand drop down menu item on the left entitled "Remote Controls" and then select "Apple Remote | 2.2".   It  is a bit confusing since version 2.2 is in section 2.1 and visa versa.

Always appreciate feedback. Thanks.  :thumb:

doggie

« Reply #88 on: 25 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm »
Thanks. Up and working well...

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Firmware Update - 2.2.8
« Reply #89 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:03 pm »
A firmware update is available on our website via this link: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

This update is a compilation of versions 2.2.6, 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 with the former two rolled up in the latest 2.2.8.

This is not a critical update but it does kill a few minor bugs while generally improving stability and control especially with the Encoder. Volume control via the encoder is now smoother and more granular with each volume step more clearly corresponding to the encoder’s position detents (stopping points). It also adds back the missing encoder balance adjust feature which somehow got left out when we released version 2.2.0 firmware. We have also implemented polarity reversal but this applies only to our LDRxB balanced preamp model and requires some special hardware modifications to the LDRxB for phase reversal to work. Please contact us if you’re interested in the LDRxB and balanced preamp phase reversal.

Version 2.2.8
Fix:  Encoder control inputs failed to wake up the display after it timed out and turned off (works fine with remote control as is).
Version 2.2.7
Change: Made encoder turning interrupt driven rather than poling to improve control response
Fix: Restored missing balance adjust control functions to Encoder
Tweak: Improved encoder decode logic for smoother stepping synced with detents
Tweak: Reduced encoder input change threshold from 5 to 2 steps when using encoder to change inputs
Version 2.2.6
New: Implemented polarity reversal for LDRxB models only - requires special version of firmware - also requires hardware modifications

How do you know what version of firmware you have? Each time you apply power to the preamp (not turn on, but power up), the first 3 digits displayed during boot up is your firmware number.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #90 on: 30 Sep 2016, 07:18 pm »
We found (correction: a customer found  :nono:) a minor firmware bug that's really not a problem per se but might look like it is.

Here's the issue: If you happen use the preamp display timeout feature and run autocal there's a random possibility that at some point in the autocal cycle the display will blank out making it appear as though autocal ended prematurely. In fact it does not end but how would you know? The problem is a bit of missing logic that fails to ignore the display timeout feature during autocal.

The fix: We will soon update the firmware to version 2.2.9 with this corrected.

The work around:  1) Ignore it;  2) Turn display timeout off (set  it to 0 seconds) before running autocal

Mr.Sneis

« Reply #91 on: 7 Oct 2016, 09:58 pm »
Morten,  is there any way to have the default volume level lowered?  I don't have an LCD display setup but I am guessing it seems to be around the 50% mark after power up for me which is fairly loud; I then drop the volume myself and all is OK.  Otherwise my previous volume level isn't really sticking as I cut the power on shut-down if that makes sense.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #92 on: 8 Oct 2016, 01:49 pm »
Morten,  is there any way to have the default volume level lowered?  I don't have an LCD display setup but I am guessing it seems to be around the 50% mark after power up for me which is fairly loud; I then drop the volume myself and all is OK.  Otherwise my previous volume level isn't really sticking as I cut the power on shut-down if that makes sense.

Yes, provided you have the updated 2.2.x firmware (which is currently available for download version 2.2.eight). If you don't have visual feedback via displays you can still adjust the max starting volume although it make take some trial and error doing it blind.

The default setting is step 35 which is roughly half volume.

To access the "max volume on change" adjust control, press the mode button (lower right hand button on apple remote) 4 times. If you have the single input firmware version press it only 3 times. Then use the lower button to reduce the default 35 setting however many number of steps you want. For example press the lower button 10x to achieve a setting of 25. Then press the center button to lock in this new setting and return to normal volume control mode.

To confirm the new setting raise the volume to "loud"  then change an input or turn the unit off and on again and note the new volume level upon start or after changing input.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2016, 02:52 pm by tortugaranger »

Mr.Sneis

« Reply #93 on: 8 Oct 2016, 02:51 pm »
Thank you for the explanation Morten!  Happy to report I think it worked perfectly!

craig sawyers

« Reply #94 on: 4 Jan 2017, 10:08 am »
Hi Morten

Just a heads up that the software download tab seems to be broken - if you click it, nothing happens.

Craig

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #95 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:51 pm »
Hi Morten

Just a heads up that the software download tab seems to be broken - if you click it, nothing happens.

Craig

Thanks for the heads up Craig. It's been fixed and should be working now.

Morten

germamiga

Re: Firmware Updates - V2/2.1
« Reply #96 on: 6 Mar 2019, 01:14 pm »
hello sorry for my poor English.
i want update firmware ...of my ldr3 v2.1 but i have ldr io board relay.......i put diy v2 board firmware or ldr v2 -3 ldrx input....... ???

thanks for response

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #97 on: 6 Mar 2019, 08:40 pm »
hello sorry for my poor English.
i want update firmware ...of my ldr3 v2.1 but i have ldr io board relay.......i put diy v2 board firmware or ldr v2 -3 ldrx input....... ???

thanks for response

If you have a 2/2.1 board connected to one of our IO3 input relay boards then use the DIY V2 board firmware. If you accidentally use one one the other versions it won't hurt the board/preamp but the input switching will not work right or won't work at all. In that case just update with  the correct version and it should be ok.

germamiga

« Reply #98 on: 7 Mar 2019, 03:42 pm »
ok ! thanks  :D

craig sawyers

« Reply #99 on: 22 Jun 2020, 10:07 am »
Hi Morten

Reviving a moribund thread to ask a simple question. I have used and massively enjoyed my DIY balanced V2.1, with relay output boards for quite a few years. But I have been derelict in updating the firmware. The controller returns 21812021 on power up. Since the eternity that I have not updated the firmware, I see that you have moved all the firmware updates to an ftp server.

The question is, what is the software version I need to download?

Kind regards

Craig