Firmware Updates - V2/2.1

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Firmware Updates
« Reply #40 on: 17 May 2016, 03:17 pm »
It's inevitable. We've found a couple of minor bugs both of which should have fixes very soon.

Auto-Repeat Caused by IR Noise – If you have a plasma TV or even an LCD TV near the preamp, you may experience the volume drifting either up or down by itself after a volume change. This is most likely due to external IR noise caused by a TV near the preamp. We are working on a fix for this which should be available soon.

Workaround:  turn off your TV when operating the preamp.

Max Volume at Input Change Set Too Low – The default value may be too low (as low as 5!) after updating to 2.2.0 firmware. This will be corrected in the next iteration.

Workaround: Press the Mode Control button 4 times. The displayed value will probably be 5. Use the raise button to increase this value to 35 or higher. Press enter to lock in the change.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #41 on: 17 May 2016, 06:26 pm »
"Auto-Repeat Caused by IR Noise"  - Due to this I am hesitant to install the update.  My LCD TV sits less than 2' above the preamp and is used as the screen for the PC from which I get all my music.  Is there a way to de-install the update if I do have a problem?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #42 on: 17 May 2016, 07:13 pm »
"Auto-Repeat Caused by IR Noise"  - Due to this I am hesitant to install the update.  My LCD TV sits less than 2' above the preamp and is used as the screen for the PC from which I get all my music.  Is there a way to de-install the update if I do have a problem?

I suggest you just hold off until we resolve. Have already fixed the false volume repeat but a few other bugs have been identified and are being resolved. Yes, can always reverse this with prior version if need be.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #43 on: 17 May 2016, 07:27 pm »
Coolness - will wait until you tell us it is fixed.  Have relatives coming into town this  week and I am hesitant to change anything before they leave - whenever I move anything in my system, something else seems to go bad.  Probably Karma.

Thanks for all the continuing follow-up with your product - it just keeps getting better.

Gerry E.

« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2016, 04:36 pm »
I just want to echo glynnw's sentiments!  I love these upgrades, especially the volume repeat and balance control functionality.

Will you send out another e-mail when the download is available again or post here on the forum?  Thanks!

Gerry   

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2016, 04:42 pm »
I just want to echo glynnw's sentiments!  I love these upgrades, especially the volume repeat and balance control functionality.
Will you send out another e-mail when the download is available again or post here on the forum?  Thanks!
Gerry

We'll post an update here plus also in download page on the website. We've just about killed the few bugs and are in the process of testing/confirming. Should be done with that today/tomorrow.

Mr.Sneis

« Reply #46 on: 20 May 2016, 07:25 am »
If I diy a usb A to a 5 pin jumper block for j8 on the board (red/white/green/black wires).... is it ok to leave the sense/ID pin unused?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #47 on: 20 May 2016, 12:07 pm »
If I diy a usb A to a 5 pin jumper block for j8 on the board (red/white/green/black wires).... is it ok to leave the sense/ID pin unused?

Yes, all you really need is ground, D+ and D- signals.

As of last night I think we've finished with cleaning up the various bugs. Waiting on one our beta testers to confirm this with his balanced preamp. Single ended has been confirmed solid. I expect to release rev 2.2.1 later today.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #48 on: 22 May 2016, 12:15 am »
And so....here we are a week later ready to release rev 2.2.1, the first revision, of the 2.2 firmware upgrade. Unlike the original 2.2.0 release I believe we've shaken all the bugs out of this one and then some.

I want to give two big shout outs to TJHUB up in Wisconsin and nuhi all the way around in Croatia for all of their beta testing help and feedback this past week. You guys were super helpful and never waivered while we played software whack-a-mole day after day. The result is an upgraded control scheme that makes the Tortuga Audio preamps much simpler to operate.

I will post the firmware files in the morning along with some amendments to the documentation. I'll also pop out a newsletter update to let everyone know it's good to go now.

Cheers,
Morten

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 22 May 2016, 12:17 am »
Your responsiveness is awesome.   8) :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #50 on: 22 May 2016, 04:35 am »
And so....here we are a week later ready to release rev 2.2.1, the first revision, of the 2.2 firmware upgrade. Unlike the original 2.2.0 release I believe we've shaken all the bugs out of this one and then some.

I want to give two big shout outs to TJHUB up in Wisconsin and nuhi all the way around in Croatia for all of their beta testing help and feedback this past week. You guys were super helpful and never waivered while we played software whack-a-mole day after day. The result is an upgraded control scheme that makes the Tortuga Audio preamps much simpler to operate.

I will post the firmware files in the morning along with some amendments to the documentation. I'll also pop out a newsletter update to let everyone know it's good to go now.

Cheers,
Morten

Glad to help.  You are always great to work with, and I appreciate your efforts.

The new firmware control scheme is a really nice improvement.  Thanks! :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #51 on: 22 May 2016, 03:23 pm »
Ok...we are good to go with the latest firmware update version 2.2.1 which is now available for download here. Please read the note on the download page so you know what to expect.

More info on this upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 firmware can be found here.

For those of you who have one, you'll be happy to know that we've retained the functionality of the legacy Tortuga remote. However, you'll find that the balance and balance reset buttons no longer work. But by using the left/right buttons to tweak balance I think you'll find it doesn't matter. Also, the 6 input select buttons no longer select inputs but each function the same as the Mode Select button on the Apple remote.

RDavidson

« Reply #52 on: 22 May 2016, 05:48 pm »
Morten,

apparently I'm missing something....or I'm not up to speed on computer stuff. Regarding things I'll need, the instructions state:

2.A USB cable that has a micro-B plug that fits into the USB receptacle on V2 board.

The Tortuga USB receptacle appears to be a standard A. Is there a micro B receptacle inside the unit? Or do I need to locate a male USB A to male USB A cable....or maybe a male USB A to female micro B adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Male-Micro-Female-Adapter-Black/dp/B009AWA3VK)? :scratch: Note, my unit is one of the custom builds Dave at ZenWave made late last year which utilized the latest Tortuga kit at that time. Hope you can help clear up my (and maybe others') confusion. Thank you.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #53 on: 22 May 2016, 05:55 pm »
Morten,

apparently I'm missing something....or I'm not up to speed on computer stuff. Regarding things I'll need, the instructions state:

2.A USB cable that has a micro-B plug that fits into the USB receptacle on V2 board.

The Tortuga USB receptacle appears to be a standard A. Is there a micro B receptacle inside the unit? Or do I need to locate a male USB A to male USB A cable....or maybe a male USB A to female micro B adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Male-Micro-Female-Adapter-Black/dp/B009AWA3VK)? :scratch: Note, my unit is one of the custom builds Dave at ZenWave made late last year which utilized the latest Tortuga kit at that time. Hope you can help clear up my (and maybe others') confusion. Thank you.

If you have our USB connector cable connected to your board you will need a male A to male A.

RDavidson

« Reply #54 on: 22 May 2016, 06:12 pm »
Yes, I do. Thank you for clearing that up.
Very straight forward and glad I don't need to open the unit. I couldn't find info about the USB A input and didn't want to risk bricking my LDR board or something. You might add a provisional statement in the instructions that addresses the USB A input, just to be completely clear to everyone. :D

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #55 on: 22 May 2016, 06:19 pm »
Yes, I do. Thank you for clearing that up.
Very straight forward and glad I don't need to open the unit. I couldn't find info about the USB A input and didn't want to risk bricking my LDR board or something. You might add a provisional statement in the instructions that addresses the USB A input, just to be completely clear to everyone. :D

I'll update the documentation to clarify.

Also, since you have DIY board and the USB cable, please make doubly sure that the female plug end of that cable is connected the right way to the 5 pin J8 header on the board. The side of the female plug with the red wire should be right next to the microcontroller.

RDavidson

« Reply #56 on: 22 May 2016, 06:39 pm »
OK. Thanks again.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #57 on: 22 May 2016, 08:37 pm »
A heads up for those with the earlier V2 preamp controller boards that have the micro-B USB socket.

As I was just reminded, it turns out there are 2 types of USB Micro B cables – the ones that only charge batteries, and the ones that are both data and charging-capable. They are not the same thing, and the stores often do not tell you which is which.

If you grab a USB micro-B cable and can't make a connection for uploading new firmware, there's a 99% chance  it's because you don't have a data-capable USB cable.  :duh:

Gerry E.

« Reply #58 on: 23 May 2016, 06:24 pm »
I installed the 2.2.1 firmware yesterday.  I followed the instructions closely but still ran into a few temporary bottlenecks.  The only one of significance was the actual download of the firmware .hex file itself.

Using Windows 7 and I.E. 11, when I tried to download the file, it would open it instead.  I could see the hex code and when I tried to save it as a .hex file, it would save it as an unusable .mht file.

After several tries with I.E., I tried the download using Mozilla Firefox and it worked the first time.  The rest was pretty much a breeze but don't forget to pair your Apple remote again.

The new remote functions are great.  I still don't know which one I like the most - the ease of the balance adjustment or the auto repeat of the volume control.   Good job Morten!  Thanks.

Gerry

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #59 on: 23 May 2016, 07:23 pm »
I installed the 2.2.1 firmware yesterday.  I followed the instructions closely but still ran into a few temporary bottlenecks.  The only one of significance was the actual download of the firmware .hex file itself.

Using Windows 7 and I.E. 11, when I tried to download the file, it would open it instead.  I could see the hex code and when I tried to save it as a .hex file, it would save it as an unusable .mht file.

After several tries with I.E., I tried the download using Mozilla Firefox and it worked the first time.  The rest was pretty much a breeze but don't forget to pair your Apple remote again.

The new remote functions are great.  I still don't know which one I like the most - the ease of the balance adjustment or the auto repeat of the volume control.   Good job Morten!  Thanks.

Gerry

What can I say.   I.E. strikes again.  Perhaps if you simply rename the saved *.mht file to *.hex it would be ok.  I've run across this once before with one customer who struggled with downloading the firmware file. He switched to Chrome and it worked normally.

If anyone runs into a problem downloading the firmware file drop my a note and I'll email it you. Presumably it will be ok as attachment under I.E. Hope springs eternal  :thumb: